Hoaxers: What kind of discussions should be encouraged or not, and how?

Jeremiah

I've said this before. But why do people do this? I mean in my opinion if you're trying to become a better writer or seek attention, you can still post here with a story! Just label it as fiction from the beginning so people don't feel as if you're trying to lie to them. It'd be fun to hear some stories, and pose questions as if that person was really an alien or another species, so long as the truth is known from the beginning.

Samstwitch

I've said this before. But why do people do this? I mean in my opinion if you're trying to become a better writer or seek attention, you can still post here with a story! Just label it as fiction from the beginning so people don't feel as if you're trying to lie to them. It'd be fun to hear some stories, and pose questions as if that person was really an alien or another species, so long as the truth is known from the beginning.

I agree, and Paranormalis does have a "Fan Fiction" prefix for those who want to post make-believe stories. However, attention seekers who pretend to be Aliens or Time Travelers feel the need to mislead everyone. They don't realize it, but they do themselves a discredit. No one likes to be fooled by imposters. When members do it, it's like being lied to by a friend.

Amazing Universe

Jeremiah and Samstwitch, I agree with you both, but you must realize the fact that we're more than likely dealing with a habitual liar and someone that is immersed in a fantasy world.

You will never get any semblance of truth from someone like that because what they have is an illness. I've lived with a habitual liar before, and these type people would not know the truth if it jumped up and bit them on the azz.

Fortunately, the habitual liar I lived with for 6 years was not into the cosmic fabrications as we're getting here, but did suffer from the same symptoms that Mr. Andromeda is wrestling with ...

Get yourself some help dude.....

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I agree, and Paranormalis does have a "Fan Fiction" prefix for those who want to post make-believe stories. However, attention seekers who pretend to be Aliens or Time Travelers feel the need to mislead everyone. They don't realize it, but they do themselves a discredit. No one likes to be fooled by imposters. When members do it, it's like being lied to by a friend.

The one word answer is boredom. In the absence of worthwhile discussion, this is the kind of thing that manifests itself due to the way communities like this are run.

On the one hand, you have over-protection of the people who post stuff like this in the first place. "Oh no, don't ask him for proof or any kind of scientific basis for his claims... We like talking to him and you'll drive him away!".

On the other hand, you have a complete lack of enforcement or standards for quality discussion. This forum (and many like it) has devolved into a climate of "Here's a crazy thing I found (with no commentary of my own)" followed by "AWESOME thx 4 sharing" responses.

I'm here because I want to pursue the truth by way of exercising logic and having friendly/passionate debates about my point of view. I choose communities like this over ATS or GLP because I don't want to have my posts buried by thousands of others within minutes of posting.

When nothing of substance or coherence is being discussed (vs. copy/pasted articles that take up space and generate zero content), people will get bored and invent their own catalysts for discussion. I've done it, Num has been a participant, many current and past members have done it... And you know what? It works. It starts interesting discussions.

Is an alien from another planet really going to start posting here using 14-year-old grammar and syntax? Probably not. Yet here we have four pages of people asking sanitized questions and playing along... Then getting upset when the obvious truth comes out. Everyone here is perfectly capable of exercising logic and common sense to arrive at these conclusions themselves.

I'd rather be seen as an asshole who occasionally posts something of interest or value than a benign lump who posts incoherent babble. This isn't Facebook. This isn't a creative writing forum. If I wanted those things I'd go to Facebook or start a blog.

Yes, I agree that doing this kind of thing is ultimately poor form and those who perpetrate hoaxes should ultimately be looked at with some disdain. However, you cannot argue that it is not at least partially self-imposed by the community, and you have to agree that an antidote to this kind of thing is content and discussion of value; not empty posts and impotent exchanges.

Amazing Universe

Hello I work for Russian military and I wanted to say to you people one here, user who posted recently, named QuadKidor, whos real name is Sifta, has been shot down by Russian military and is held in research facility. It is theyre I work for my government as scientist. I have become close to Sifta and she tell me to post photograph. She also say for person named Time, a temple worker and officer of law, to make website about him and her talks to let world know extrateristals are here. End of contact.
View attachment 959

Honestly, I must say that the person behind this would be a fairly decent fictional author .. this is my first day reading all of this .. so pardon me if I'm a little behind .. so let me get it straight ... "QuadKidor", who was posting earlier, has been shot down by the Russian Military??? Correct???? And her name is actually "Sifta" ????

OK ... going to get my popcorn, since football season is just around the corner, I may as well humor myself here, for a couple more weeks ...

Amazing Universe

I can understand what "Cosmo" is saying when he states, "partially self-imposed by the community" .. This is my first time joining this particular conversation and from the very first page, people are asking this QUACK very legitimate questions. Legit questions that the "alien" are answering rather well. Not that anything he/she says is the truth, but some of her responses are similar to accounts we've read about ET's in the past. This person is an above-average liar and those type people can be very convincing. So much so, that they ultimately convince themselves, which typically leads to MAJOR trouble; more often than not, PRISON TIME.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Therein lies the cause of these issues.

You complain about many things on the Forum. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but we do not all agree.

My complaints are valid and I offer solutions for improvement. I don't see anyone offering counterpoints other than:
1372347845494.jpg