How do you make an Barium Oxide Bar Magnet to use with HDR?

dustin255

How do you make an Barium Oxide Bar Magnet to use with HDR? I want to increase the fields. I know Steven Gibbs mentions using this to increase the field.

TimeFlipper

How do you make an Barium Oxide Bar Magnet to use with HDR? I want to increase the fields. I know Steven Gibbs mentions using this to increase the field.
I checked Ebay for you and found one for about $16...Gibbs did say that type of magnet was not necessary and you could use a Neodymium magnet instead which is the most powerful magnet on earth, but more expensive than the Barium Oxide type.:)

TimeFlipper

Why wouldn't you use an Neodymium Electromagnet? Wouldn't that be stronger?
Yes it is stronger and more available than the Barium Oxide variety but more expensive...And when i said, "good luck finding them", i was referring to the Barium Oxide variety :)

steven chiverton

all i can get here is rare earth magnets and i think jaycar electronics may have some barrel shaped neodymium magnets ill check again soon. strange things about the rare earth magnets i thought to it may make the hdr electromagnet more stronger but i found out after a test when the watch wouldn't spin in the field , that when i remove the rare earth magnet it then spins like as if it was clamping the field before i removed the magnet and that was when i used the 240vac 50hz converter and powering the electromagnet with just 120vac. but with just the strait 240vac at 50hz its a different story