How old is the world?

Hemoman

How old is the world?

Just curious about people's opinions on this. I was listening to coast to coast and some guy called in saying that the Bible and archaelogical evidence from minning in pennsylvania and other places support the idea that humanity/the world is only 6000 years old??? That seems totally bogus considering the extensive fossil record and other archaeological finds.

But anybody have anything to say about this topic?

thenumbersix

Re: How old is the world?

It is laughable, I believe some chinese families, and I don't doubt for a second some of the temples, have written history that dates back further than 6000 years.

I can see this figure being changed by the cranks that try and flog us this idea, they will then deny ever saying it, how's that for a prediction :D

The world is dated at about 4.5 billion years old, makes a lot more sense to me...

The Age of The Earth

Hemoman

No kidding. I can't believe (well i guess i can since they do) they try to pass off the idea that the world is only 6000. I've heard some people try to utterly convince people its only 2000 but that's just too much to be believable by anyone.

There are some people who use information from the Bible in an effectual way that actuall makes sense but unfortunately those people are few and far between.

ironside100

What annoys me is the way they use that rubbish get out statement "god made the earth look old" how crap is that?

ironside100

exactly right, but then the follow up answer to that is, "god is so powerful you cant comprehend his logic behind such an action".

Hemoman

Even if we couldn't comprehend the logic behind such a decision we sure can attempt. It seems there's plenty of things that we can understand if we think about them logically and really analyze scripture.

But even so some of the arguments of these people are just dumb. And then also the people who insist that the world was created in 7 24 hour periods. I've even heard scholars insist that it was longer because the jewish word for age/day can mean any period of time/age.

One thing I never hear people talk about is dinosaurs and the Bible. Now I know there are some things about dinosaurs and humans existing at the same time, so i've heard from some people... but I've heard some fellow Christians saying that well.... Dinosaurs DIDN'T exist!.... they've been faked! It's just so outstanding the lengths these people will go to to justify their faith by refuting scientific fact about dinosaurs.

What a lot of people don't accept is that there are something we simply won't know. Maybe I''m ignorant in that opinion but it saves time haha.

halo2junkie119

I read in a book about aliens that the earth is 626 billion years old. They (the aliens) say that they have been involved in earth for millions of years and such. Who knows, maybe carbon dating doesnt work.

thenumbersix

This place seems to agree with you :

contenderministries.org

Someone tell me they're talking shite on that site please, have been up all night, thanks to one of my clients, who i'm going to throw off a cliff.

Something is wrong there......with the half life stuff, not me helping my client appreciate my need for sleep via the medium of gravity...

sinister

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"halo2junkie119\")</div>
I read in a book about aliens that the earth is 626 billion years old. They (the aliens) say that they have been involved in earth for millions of years and such. Who knows, maybe carbon dating doesnt work.[/b]

wow, unbelievably good point. Has anyone here carbon dated or physically seen the process? I'm feeling very deluded right now, need some kind of confirmation that at least one of the things we've taken for granted is right?