how timetravel could work

timeisrelative

here this out and think it through...first is that its impossile with current thoughts of space, time, and the speed of light. Now think out of that realm...imagine you could travel at the speed of thought. #1 how fast is thought? the instant you want to start the stopwatch you must stop it therefore the speed of thought is instant. #2 light travels away from earth at the speed of light, therefore light from say 1804 is 200 light years away from the earth of 1804. We want to go observe 1804. EVERYTHING has moved in 200 years (me, you, your house the earth is in a different spot, the sun has moved, the solar system, the galaxy, etc...) but that light has followed one line (maybe distorted by blackholes, white dwarves, other large objects) but lets not think about that and say one line. now if you traveled from where you are at this moment to where that light from 1804 is (it still exist and always will) you would see life in 1804. Thats it! Now you can obsere the past without disrupting any future events.

CaryP

uh, sounds great, but keep in mind that the earth rotates on an axis while orbiting the sun. Now imagine that "pictures" of 1804 are 200 light years away and have been separating at the speed of light both from the earth's axis rotation and solar orbit. You get "pictures" that are scattered all to hell and back. You'd have to be able to travel at the speed of light (or faster?) maintaining the exact solar orbit and axis rotation of earth from 200 years ago to have a consistent view of 200 year old "pictures". Another consideration is planets, stars, meteors, etc. that would be in the path of this 200 yr. old light as it moves away from earth into the universe. You'd get distorted pictures at best.

I'm no scientist, but there are some practical problems with your idea. It is a good thought though about the light moving away from earth that preserves its history.

Cary

The_Ruffneck

I thought thought would be the same speed as electricity since the brain is run by electrical impulses , as to the speed of electricity i would not know that...

iooqxpooi

Originally posted by timeisrelative@Oct 2 2004, 12:56 AM
here this out and think it through...first is that its impossile with current thoughts of space, time, and the speed of light. Now think out of that realm...imagine you could travel at the speed of thought.? #1 how fast is thought?? the instant you want to start the stopwatch you must stop it therefore the speed of thought is instant.? #2 light travels away from earth at the speed of light, therefore light from say 1804 is 200 light years away from the earth of 1804.? We want to go observe 1804.? EVERYTHING has moved in 200 years (me, you, your house the earth is in a different spot, the sun has moved, the solar system, the galaxy, etc...) but that light has followed one line (maybe distorted by blackholes, white dwarves, other large objects) but lets not think about that and say one line.? now if you traveled from where you are at this moment to where that light from 1804 is (it still exist and always will) you would see life in 1804.? Thats it! Now you can obsere the past without disrupting any future events.
Sorry, but you are completely wrong. Let's say you left now. You would see the light of 2204 once you made it there assuming that you were travelling at 360,000 mph and that you had the force of gravity unchanging. Also, the speed of thought is the speed in which the brain sends an electrical message through the nerves. The electricity is moving at c, but the friction of the nerves brings it down. Thus if you travel at the speed of thought, you are under the speed of light. ;)

EDIT:

I did not understand what you meant by seeing 1804, I thought that you meant seeing 1804 in the point that you had seen before that was in 1804. You cannot see Earth in 1804 unless you move at 200c to the place you are seeing 1804, because you can only travel at c, which the 2004 light from Earth is travelling. ;)

Fringan

Originally posted by timeisrelative+Oct 2 2004, 06:56 AM--><div class='quotemain'>#1 how fast is thought? the instant you want to start the stopwatch you must stop it therefore the speed of thought is instant.
[/b]

I have to go with iooqxpooi on that one. "Thought" is just a series of electrical impulses in your brain and I'm not sure how you would define the speed of it. Perhaps you could calculate the number of operations competed within a specific time or the speed of the impulses moving from one brain cell to another. It's not really interesting in this thought experiment anyway the way I see it.

<!--QuoteBegin-timeisrelative
@Oct 2 2004, 06:56 AM
#2 light travels away from earth at the speed of light, therefore light from say 1804 is 200 light years away from the earth of 1804. We want to go observe 1804. Thats it! Now you can obsere the past without disrupting any future events.
[/quote]

You conclusion is ofcourse correct. If someone 200 lightyears from here pointed a huge super large telescope on earth they would see the light bounced of the stuff happening back at 1804 earth time. The problem isn't really seeing the light, the problem is getting from here to a place 200 light years away before the light from 200 years ago reaches there. If light travels from A to B in the speed of light you would never catch up with it. Since the upper speed limit is the speed of light, the best you could do would be to always be 200 light years behind it... Unless we found a way to travel faster than light of course. I don't think that discussion goes in this thread :)

iooqxpooi

Didn't I just say that?

Well, I know that you said it much better than me, so I don't mind. ;)

Taira

Didn't I just say that?

Well, I know that you said it much better than me, so I don't mind. ;)

is this really true? I am really interested. I keep on watching videos about time travel and i hope i can experience this with no one know

TimeFlipper

is this really true? I am really interested. I keep on watching videos about time travel and i hope i can experience this with no one know

iooqxpooi was last seen on Paranormalis October 4th 2005...Perhaps he was successful in travelling back in time, who knows? ;) :D..