If the Universe Spun

Harte

Re: If the Universe Spun

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"BubbuClinton\")</div>
Back in 1957 H. Everett suggested that all available choices exist. J. A. Wheeler and D. DeWitt following that lead suggested that all available choices are indeed realised at measurement and that the universe splits into copies of equally real universes, each containing one of the possible choices. [/b]

The operative word is measurement. The measurement is necessary for the split to occur. I'm not getting time travel from this, but I agree it sounds like the many timeline theory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"BubbuClinton\")</div>
Quantum theory like everything else is still in its infancy. It has spawned string theory and membrane theory all of which are very interesting to consider. I like the theory that all black holes link parallel universes and the Universe is riddled with black holes.
[/b]

The theory of connections between universes at black holes is a direct result of general relativity. I am sorry to have to tell you that in the late 1990's it was found that this does not happen. Geometry of a black hole turns out to be slightly different that what the Einstein-Rosen bridge assumes. This was one of my favorite things about relativity, but that's progress.

It does not mean that such connections cannot exist. Only not at black holes. Any Einstein-Rosen bridge would have to be constructed, a daunting task.

Harte

Num7

Administrator
Staff
How can we be sure that the Universe doesn't spin ?

It makes sense that everything spins at some point, but why doesn't the Universe itself spin ?

Harte

If the universe was spinning, that would create a reference point (the center around which the universe was spinning) against which we could measure all motion.

That would mean that absolute motion would exist.

The fact that all motion is relative is the basis for the theory of relativity.

This, I suppose, leads to the things Dr. Kaku mentions.

Harte