Jesus Movies: Good or Bad? My Assessments! Watch them here.

Samstwitch

I love our Lord Jesus and watch as many movies about Him as I can find. Unfortunately, most of them are Scripturally inaccurate. It's very disturbing to me when I watch Jesus movies that change what the Bible says. Why do Directors/Writers/Producers make movies that do not tell the truth about our Lord? Jesus came into the world to testify to the 'Truth', but they do not tell it. Besides, the truth is much more interesting.

This week I bought a Jesus movie that was so bad, full of such lies about Jesus that I returned it to the store. It was an abomination. I will comment about it later on in this thread.

I have only found 2 movies that are Scripturally accurate, and a 3rd movie that is also very close to the truth. I will post those movies on this thread and give my assessments in additional comments.

THERE ARE 2 JESUS MOVIES THAT ARE TIED FOR NUMBER 1 ON MY LIST! THE 1ST ONE...

NUMBER 1 ON MY LIST: My first favorite Jesus movie is "The Revolutionary", starring John Kay Steel, produced by TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network with Paul and Jan Crouch). "The Revolutionary" is actually a series of short scenes depicting some of the most important miracles of Jesus. The scenes are very Scripturally accurate! The only thing I wish about The Revolutionary is that it was an actual movie instead of scene successions, and that it was longer.

Jesus, Revolutionary.jpg

The actor who portrays our Lord is as close to Jesus in looks and demeanor as I would imagine Him to be, more than in any other movie. I love the Jesus in this movie!

MY CRITICISMS: The only scene that I found inaccurate in this movie is immediately after Jesus is Resurrected when he sees Mary Magdelene. In the movie, she and another woman touch Jesus.

In the Bible, Jesus did allow Mary to touch Him. He said, "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17 (However, newer translations say, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father..." But I stand by the old translation.)

The crucifixion scene was much less severe than what actually happened, but that was so the movie would be appropriate for all audiences. Some of the dialogue and events were missing, but that was true for other scenes as well.

Here is "The Revolutionary"!
Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2

THIS MOVIE CAN BE PURCHASED HERE!

Samstwitch

Passion of christ.jpg

2ND JESUS MOVIE THAT IS SCRIPTURALLY ACCURATE: "The Passion of the Christ" starring Jim Caviezel as Jesus.

Even though it may be hard to believe, through my studies of Christ, I have come to realize that Jesus suffered even more than is depicted in this movie. I have only positive things to say about the accuracy of "The Passion of the Christ". Mel Gibson did a superb job!

The injuries that Jesus received as depicted in "The Passion of the Christ" are also indicated in the Shroud of Turin. The Shroud is believed to be the true buriel cloth of Christ and scientific examination supports that theory.

"The Passion of Christ" is very difficult for me to watch, because of Christ's suffering, but I make myself watch it periodically.
(This is not the movie that is tied for Number 1 on my list, only because watching Christ's suffering makes me ill.)

AVAILABLE AT WALMART.COM

Samstwitch

Jesus of Nazareth.jpg

TIED FOR NUMBER 1 ON MY LIST: "Jesus of Nazareth" starring Robert Powell as Jesus.
I love this movie! Jesus's character is very serious in all of the scenes, but He really comes across with the message of Christ. This movie was a mini-series.

MY CRITICISMS: I haven't watched this movie in awhile, so I can't remember all the inaccuracies, except that there are a few. I will post more of them in another comment after I have watched it again. Here is what I recall from memory...

In this movie, Joseph is portrayed as a young man. However, in the Apocryphas, Joseph is much older and a widower with children from his first marriage. He was chosen by God in the Temple as the man to wed the Virgin Mary. Joseph vowed to keep Mary chaste, because she was so young and because of the age difference between them. Mary was only about 14 years old when she conceived Jesus. She was always a Virgin, before and after the birth of Christ. In this movie, Mary and Joseph are depicted as a young couple, close in age...and Mary is his only wife.

The scene where Mary is visited by an Angel and told about the immaculate conception of Jesus, we do not hear or see the Angel. Mary only recounts what she heard to her mother.

In every scene where Angels should appear and speak, we do not see or hear them. This greatly detracts from the miracles of God.

In the scene when Jesus is Baptized by John the Baptist, we don't hear the voice of God. Instead, John the Baptist says he heard the voice of God. It didn't happen this way. Bible Scripture says that God spoke for everyone to hear..."and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." Matthew 3:17.

The crucifixion scene is not well depicted. While nailed to the Cross, Jesus is not shown wearing a Crown of Thorns, which he wore according to Scripture. If you inserted "The Passion of the Christ" into this movie, you would have a very accurate account.

Part 1 of 4

Part 2 of 4

Part 3 of 4: PART 3 HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM YOUTUBE (But you can find it in Parts)

Part 4 of 4

THIS MOVIE IS AVAILABLE AT WALMART.COM

Samstwitch

Jesus, Jeremy Sisto.jpg

WORST JESUS MOVIE I EVER SAW! "Jesus" starring Jeremy Sisto.

Almost all of the scenes in this movie just didn't happen. They took bits of truths and mixed them in with lies.

John the Baptist tells Jesus to repent of His sins. That is an abomination! Jesus had NO sins! That's why Jesus was able to redeem us of our sins when He was crucified, because He was sinless.

Mother Mary has to prompt Jesus to go out into the world to find His way??! WRONG! Jesus needed NO prompting to do God's will and accomplish His mission. Jesus knew exactly who He was from the time He was a small child, which is why he stayed in His Father's Temple at 12 years old.

When father Joseph dies, Jesus gets angry and yells at God, demanding Him to bring Joseph back to life. Jesus would NEVER do that! Jesus said often that everything He did was not His will, but the will of His Father in Heaven.

Nothing in this film is scripturally accurate! It's disgusting and pathetic, full of lies. I could only watch about 1/3 of this movie, because it's an abomination!

55% of the Reviews on Amazon.com recognize this movie as BAD as I do. The rest of the viewers gave it great Reviews, but that is because they do not know Scripture. Anyone who follows Jesus and reads the Bible would be greatly offended at this movie. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!

Samstwitch

King of Kings, DVD.jpg

SCRIPTURALLY INACCURATE.... "King of Kings" starring Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus.

My Review below only covers a few discrepancies, as I have not seen the whole movie in years and I do not want to see it again. Recently it aired on TBN and I watched part of it, but I had to turn it off, because it was such an inaccurate depiction of Jesus and the Scriptures.

This movie gives little attention to Jesus and His miracles, and instead focuses more on other
people, such as John the Baptist, Barrabas, Mother Mary, and King Herod. In fact, Jesus
doesn't even enter the movie until far into it. John the Baptist is given many more
scenes than necessary, IMO because the actor who played John was well-known at the time.
Most of the scenes with John the Baptist didn't even happen according to Scripture.

The miracles of Jesus were either omitted, stolen, or undermined by omitting Jesus's
person from the scenes or changing what actually happened. Example: Lucius, Roman
Soldier, reads a report to Herod reporting the miracles of Jesus, but none of them are
shown. Example: The first miracle of Jesus healing a sick person does not show the Lord, only
the shadow of his arm.

One scene shows Jesus visiting John the Baptist while he is imprisoned. Jesus talks to a
Roman Soldier says He has come to free John the Baptist. Then the Roman soldier allows
Jesus to see John, and John asks the Lord for His blessing. This never happened.

According to Scripture, Jesus never visited John while he was imprisoned. While
in prison, John sent word through his disciples to ask if Jesus was "the one who was to
come, or should we expect someone else?" Matthew 11:1-4; Luke 7:20

The scene where Jesus first meets the Apostle Simon Peter does not include the miracle
of catching the huge net of fish, which is what convinced Peter to follow Jesus.
Instead the movie shows Jesus meeting Peter for the first time, saying, "Peter the Rock
upon which I will build", and asks Peter to come with Him. This is totally inaccurate.

According to Scripture, Jesus did not say that to Peter until far into His Ministry
after many miracles had been performed. Jesus asked the Apostles who they thought He
was. Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus said that God
had revealed that to Peter and because of it, Peter was the rock that He would build His
church on, and said He would give Peter the keys to heaven, because of this revelation.
Matthew 16:15-19.

Jesus delivers a man from demon possession...In this scene, Jesus never speaks. The man
is running around violently, he sees Jesus, runs to Him, falls down and is freed of the
demons. This is Scripturally incorrect.

According to Scripture, Jesus delivered different men from demon possession. Each time
the demons spoke to Jesus, and the Lord ordered them to leave. Examples: Mark 5:1-11;
Mark 14-21.

I'm not the only one who was critical of this film. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia...

"King of Kings, once it was released, received negative reviews from publications such as Time magazine and New York Times's Bosley Crowther. The latter felt the film had "the nature of an illustrated lecture" and was a "peculiarly impersonal film that constructs a great deal of random action around Jesus and does very little to construct a living personality for Him..."

Also Noted...""Most films at the time did not show Jesus's face, preferring to do shots of his hands (as in Ben-Hur) or over-the-shoulder views." However, in this movie, Jeffrey Hunter was Jesus, so there was no reason to not show Jesus's face. Still, Jesus's face was not shown during most of the few miracles that were depicted in this movie.

CONCLUSION

"King of Kings" has a great musical score and is considered an epic film, but if you want to know about the ministry and miracles of Jesus, I cannot recommend this movie.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I noticed that you mention Ben-Hur. I think it's a great movie. I watch it almost every year around Easter.

Samstwitch

I noticed that you mention Ben-Hur. I think it's a great movie. I watch it almost every year around Easter.

Ben-Hur.jpg

Thank you for reminding me! Ben-Hur: a Tale of the Christ, is one of my all-time favorites. It's in my DVD collection along with The Ten Commandments. Charlton Heston was so great in those films! He's also a true believer in Jesus Christ! :) I love everything about the movie! It's definitely a 5-Star.

Everyone should watch Ben-Hur! It's an incredible movie. Watch it on a big screen!

Did you know, a Stuntman was really killed in the 'Chariot' scene? His family was paid an enormous sum of money so producers could use the footage in the movie, but they had to keep it secret. (I heard they were paid at least a million dollars, in 1959 that was a lot of money.)

I just read on Wikipedia, they are denying that anyone was killed in the Chariot scene, but Stuntman Nosher Power said it was true in his autobiography. If you watch the Chariot scene, you will see it happen. They tried to keep it a secret from the public, but the truth came out. Today they still try to deny it.

WIKIPEDIA: "Several urban legends exist regarding the chariot sequence. One claims that a stuntman died during filming. Stuntman Nosher Powell claims in his autobiography, "We had a stunt man killed in the third week, and it happened right in front of me. You saw it, too, because the cameras kept turning and it's in the movie." But movie historian Monica Silveira Cyrino discounted this claim in 2005, and said there there were no published accounts of any serious injuries or deaths during filming of the chariot race."

Samstwitch

Gospel of John.jpg

NEW - PERFECTLY SCRIPTURALLY CORRECT! "The Gospel of John"

"The Gospel of John" narrates the entire 'Gospel of John' word-for-word from the New Testament, but it's also a movie. It is Scripturally correct, however it's the 'Good News' version of the Bible, which is the easiest and most modern translation.

There are 4 Gospels in the Bible (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). Each Gospel gives a unique account of what happened during the days of Jesus Christ. The Gospels vary in subject matter. For instance, some include the story about Jesus's infancy, but the Gospel of John does not. There are miracles which are included in some Gospels, but not in others. Each Gospel is unique and offers a different perspective about the days of Jesus. Keep this in mind when watching "The Gospel of John".

MY CRITIQUE

I highly recommend this movie, because it is Scripturally perfect according to the Gospel of John! I'm not a fan of the Good News version, however, I know it was chosen, because Scripture is difficult for some to understand.

Diana Berriman, Mary.jpg

My only criticism is that the Virgin Mary was played by actress, Diana Berriman (see photo), who was too old to be Jesus's mother. Mary would have been 44-45 years old when Jesus began his ministry, but the actress in the movie was much older than that. According to the Apocryphas, Mary conceived when she was about 14 years old. The Bible says Jesus began teaching and performing miracles when he was 30, so Mary would have been 44-45 years old during this time period.

Gospel of John - Part 1

Gospel of John - Part 2

AVAILABLE AT WALMART.COM

Peregrini

I eagerly await your review of The Greatest Story Ever Told. That was always one of my favorites. I'm not familiar with the first one but I will locate it and watch it. As for the last one... That's not Jesus, that's Desmond Hume from Lost.;) I know he did some time traveling but I didn't realize he went that far back.:D