John's talk about home searches

Darkwolf

According to many federal judges, the government is entitled to confiscate weapons if it has any reasonable basis for doing so.

Ah, yes the great second ammendment cover up. It amazes me the legal dancing that some have done in order to make us believe that something written in black and white in the constitution doesn't say what it clearly does.

Still, confiscation of personal weapons is taking somone's property without due process of law.

Cornelia

I'm not going to intervene into 2nd amendment threads.

:lol:

Darkwolf

Oh why not
Oh why not
Oh why not
Oh why not
Oh why not

And that last point was fourth ammendment.
Seriously, if you have something to add go ahead. I won't bite.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Nov 19 2004, 10:10 PM
According to many federal judges, the government is entitled to confiscate weapons if it has any reasonable basis for doing so.

Ah, yes the great second ammendment cover up. It amazes me the legal dancing that some have done in order to make us believe that something written in black and white in the constitution doesn't say what it clearly does.

Still, confiscation of personal weapons is taking somone's property without due process of law.

No it aint. For example, a police officer can approach you on the street for very little reason and insist upon talking to you-- temporarily detain you-- and disarm you for his own safety. Providing, that is, you are legally toting a gun. If you are not, you got nothing.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Cornelia@Nov 19 2004, 11:22 PM

:lol:

If you don't intervene, I'll never get any help.

Darkwolf

No it aint. For example, a police officer can approach you on the street for very little reason and insist upon talking to you-- temporarily detain you-- and disarm you for his own safety. Providing, that is, you are legally toting a gun. If you are not, you got nothing.

Different issue.
A, to detain and "Terry search" somone the officer must have reasonable suspicion that they are up to something. "He just didn't look right" won't cut it.

B Taking a gun off of somone during a contact is not confiscation. It is just putting the gun where they can't immediatly use it. Unless they are illeagally in posession of the weapon, or carrying it concealed without a permit, the officer has to give it back. In fact even if the contactee is arrested, they can get their weapon back upon their release.

The case we are discussing involves officers entering somone's home, and confiscating his property beacause he is not allowed to posess it due to legal action that was not a conviction. That is a clear violation of the fourth and second ammendments.

CaryP

You're absolutely right Paul. I got pulled over a couple of months ago for "alledgedly" driving in a "reckless" manner. I didn't get a ticket, but I was pulled over by a member of the local SWAT team. All black uniform, and very heavily armed in a barely marked car. I was asked if I had a weapon in my vehicle to which I responded in the affirmative. I was asked if the officer had permission to retrieve the weapon from the vehicle to which I gave instructions as to the location of the weapon and responded in the affirmative. After the weapon was retreived, I was asked if the weapon was loaded, and was a round in the chamber of the weapon. Yes, the weapon was loaded, but no round was in the chamber. It was a .40 caliber Baretta Border Master, a semi-automatice hand gun that I keep in my car. The SWAT officer complimented me on my choice of weapons for which I was grateful. After examing my weapon, and explaining my "reckless" driving, my weapon was returned to my vehicle and I was allowed to leave with no ticket or written warning. Had I offered any resistance, I was very clear that the weight of the local law enforcement and govt. would have been pressed upon me. It's cool for now.

There's an "illegal gun" project going on here right now. There are several circumstances that will get you a minimum of 5 yrs. in federal prison for the "illegal" possesion" of a firearm. It doesn't sound very constitutional, but the hell do I know.

Cary

StarLord

I still have a hunch that if you are in the 'right' and have proper documentation, thus legal permission, it's not going to be a problem. I'ts pretty hard for illegal aliens to get ahold of gun permits imho.

Of course, if the search produces a .75 Galactic Garbsnaffle Recoiless Blaster then you are already whupped and better be prepaired to do some down homeslice type splaining. Lips don't fail me now!

CaryP

Originally posted by StarLord@Nov 19 2004, 08:06 PM
I still have a hunch that if you are in the 'right' and have proper documentation, thus legal permission, it's not going to be a problem. I'ts pretty hard for illegal aliens to get ahold of gun permits imho.

Of course, if the search produces a .75 Galactic Garbsnaffle Recoiless Blaster then you are already whupped and better be prepaired to do some down homeslice type splaining. Lips don't fail me now!

I didn't want to waste a LOL post, but this one was too much!! Thanks for your wit and wisdom. LOL

Cary

Darkwolf

I'm not aware of any law against those.

Cary, The very concept of an illeagal gun is unconstatutional. You have a right to anything that an infantryman or SWAT officer carries. The entire gun controll movement is based on facitious arguements. The suprime court won't hear it though.

They have SWAT guys making traffic stops?? Where do you live?