Light

Alpha and 0mega

Light

Always wonder what gives light the ability to travel at such a speed.wat energy gives light to travel so fast?can we use that energy on ourself?

Harte

Re: Light

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Alpha and 0mega\")</div>
Always wonder what gives light the ability to travel at such a speed.wat energy gives light to travel so fast?can we use that energy on ourself?[/b]
We use this energy everyday. We are constantly using the energy in light. Without it we would die.
Harte

thenumbersix

I have speculated before that light is energy that is on the 'brink' of slowing enough to turn into mass, maybe this explains the duality of light, ie. wave or particle.

Maybe someone that has looked into the experiments with slowing light using the Einstein Bose condesate can shed some light, or energy, onto the matter..

systemoftheuniverse

light has weight, that's why it gets stuck in black holes. Yet light doesn't slow down leaving the suns gravitational pull? Science isn't adding up.

I think black holes are worm holes. Rips in space that light cannot pass through.

The speed of light is the speed that all energies protrude at from their source. So if you have a electromagnet, and turn it on, it will repell another magnet at the speed of light, but will only push at the strength you give it.

or maybe there is special rules for light.

really, if light had weight, couldn't you use it as a propellant to achieve the speed of light? Ohh, yaa, special rules.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"thenumbersix\")</div>
I have speculated before that light is energy that is on the 'brink' of slowing enough to turn into mass, maybe this explains the duality of light, ie. wave or particle.
[/b]
The problem here is that light is easily slowed, even without the Einstein-Bose condensate. Light slows considerably when passing through water, even more when it passes through glass.

A photon at rest has no mass. Therefore light is not something that's almost just about to turn into matter. Matter and energy are the same thing anyway. There's no point where energy turns into matter or vice versa. If you look close enough, it's all energy.

It would be a great relief to physicists if the wave-particle duality could be soved this easily.

light has weight, that's why it gets stuck in black holes. Yet light doesn't slow down leaving the suns gravitational pull? Science isn't adding up.[/b]
The idea of light getting trapped in a black hole yet being massless has always seemed to be an apparent contradiction to me also. The only explanation I have seen for this is the idea of relativistic mass, where the mass involved is attributed to the energy of the photon. Yet when I look for the most recent thinking on this, the only discussions that I find about relativistic mass all say that there is not really such a thing. Confusing.

The speed of light is the speed that all energies protrude at from their source.[/b]
Here you should say "the speed that all electromagnetic energies protrude..." All energies do not propagate at lightspeed.

Harte

shane

John Titor already told me how light works in black holes, but I'm not supposed to reveal any concrete information that might alter the timeline. :D

thenumbersix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
The problem here is that light is easily slowed, even without the Einstein-Bose condensate. Light slows considerably when passing through water, even more when it passes through glass.

A photon at rest has no mass. Therefore light is not something that's almost just about to turn into matter. Matter and energy are the same thing anyway. There's no point where energy turns into matter or vice versa. If you look close enough, it's all energy.

It would be a great relief to physicists if the wave-particle duality could be soved this easily.
[/b]

True, Having deja vu on this one :) think we have covered it before.

Not my quote but, in my opinion, black holes bend space, entities that travel through the medium of space, as we know it, follow it and are not aware of any curvature. Light 'thinks' it is travelling in a straight line, only the black hole and intelligent observers know better

Here you should say \"the speed that all electromagnetic energies protrude...\" ?All energies do not propagate at lightspeed.[/b]

Which ones do you think do not ? With gravity the book is still out on this one. This goes back to a speed of gravity thread. Is this an inherent limit in space. Does gravity propogate at the speed of space ? (or the speed the 'ripples', if you like, in space spread out - very bad analogy)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"systemoftheuniverse\")</div>
light has weight, that's why it gets stuck in black holes. Yet light doesn't slow down leaving the suns gravitational pull? Science isn't adding up.
[/b]

The sun doesn't have a strong enough gravity to pull the light back in. I suspect it doesn't even slow it as we would think in the traditional sense of matter flying out of the sun...

Though has light been measured within the gravity well of the sun, we may see some acceleration as it escapes it, this would still only be relative to an observer outside and in a different portion of space under different 'stresses'. As far as the light is concerned it is travelling at the speed of light... ?

It does bend, or lense, light passing the sun though, this has been shown to happen. Again, I believe it is space bending due to the suns' gravity, light is simply following the path of space.....

The idea of light getting trapped in a black hole yet being massless has always seemed to be an apparent contradiction to me also. The only explanation I have seen for this is the idea of relativistic mass, where the mass involved is attributed to the energy of the photon. Yet when I look for the most recent thinking on this, the only discussions that I find about relativistic mass all say that there is not really such a thing. Confusing.[/b]

I think we're barely scratching around on the surface of physice like chickens searching for food in the soil, we have made large strides, but only relative to what we already think we know. Too many theories that are accepted as 'the norm' throw up far too many more questions and contradictions, we should still keep our minds fully open if we want to find the truth, that is no doubt still out there...

Modern 'scientists' are too blinkered by peer pressure and the need to look 'credible' by ignoring anything not already in a text book. I guess that is their job, just don't expect them to come up with anything radicle and new, that's the job of people like us.

Einstein was a bookeeper by trade !

systemoftheuniverse

If light can be trapped, it's because it has weight and therefore mass. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If light becomes "air born", it's because a force caused mass to flow. The creation of light would mean the elimination of an equal amout of force. The resistance of electron flow causes resistance or friction, that radiates light/heat. The weight/mass of light would have to be equal to the loss of electron mass/ weight. This is represented by what?

the slowing down or stopping of light by gravity, would mean that light has momentum. Momentum slows down only by resistance. Gravity is the resistance that traps light in a black hole. But light isn't slowed down unless gravity is a certain strength???... but light isn't slowed down unless gravity reaches a certain strength (or not).

that would mean that you are saying...every action is felt unless you travel at the speed of light? What is the force that causes the speed of light? A lesser energy then electromagnetics??? And electromagnetics cannot get us to the speed of light???

.way to confusing... obviously we are thinking of this the wrong way.

The only way to create a new energy from the three original energies of; electrons, neutrons, and protons, is by perpendicular resistance witch creates any new energy. the forward momentum of light would mean that an equal and opposite force would cause propulsion from light. Yet when magnatism is created by perpendicular resistance, we see it radiates out in layers perpendicular to the mass that created it. This patteren should be evident in light.

The only way for that to be true is because light is an energy that disipates evenly from the focal point that caused it. But...Then light couldn't have form, mass, weight, or momentum.

thenumbersix

SoU, you are treating light as if it were an atom or something that it is a mass in the traditional sense. The nature of light is yet to be properly quantified in my opinion as there are still anomolies that the answers maybe slowly coming....

My bases is in General and Special Relativity, some String Theory. I also recommend the Holographic principle of the Universe as essential reading. Just to give you an idea of my mindset on this..

My point is that space is curved or lensed by gravity. Light as it travels through this space would not be aware of the curvature yet to an outside observer, who is in an entirely different region of space, might see a difference in perceived speed and direction, this does not mean it has actually slowed down relativew to it's own area in space....

I will try and think of a suitable analogy...

I do agree with you in that the speed of light may be possible to acheive, the mantra that it would be impossible is unproven, as far as I know, until it is I keep my opinions open about that.

Regardless of the details you are arriving at the same point as myself, we are definitely looking at it the wrong way.

Please elaborate on this perpendicular resistance, you mention magnetism, if you have theories on this I would be interested to hear them..