Live! Sandy Coverage - NY

TimeNot_0

3.2 million people without power in tri-state area.

I think I heard 2000 trees down, but not sure.

titorite

just for numbers sake.... 3.2 mill equals ten percent of our US population.

Samstwitch

Over 1 million people without power in New Jersey alone. Manhattan is totally in the dark. Superstorm is causing havoc in 14 states from North Carolina to Maine. Power is out all over the place...20% may be an accurate number, but I couldn't say, that's what the Newscaster said.

Samstwitch

CNN has great live coverage too. Glad to know it's not the only channel covering the Superstorm.

This hospital was told to evacuate before the storm, but they decided against it. Now they are being forced out by the storm in the storm.

NYC mayor says power out at NYU hospital, patients being evacuated

NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says backup power has been lost at New York University hospital and the city is working to move people out.

The mayor delivered a news conference Monday night and said rain was tapering off in the city and the storm surge was expected to recede by midnight.

The hospital complex is near the East River in an area of lower Manhattan where flooding has been reported.

Bloomberg says a few parts of lower Manhattan still have power. He said there have been a large number of fires reported from downed power lines.