Many Worlds and an Anti-Universe

dWalsh

Judging by the "many worlds" interpretation, there are an infinite number of universes and each time an event occurs an alternate (yet almost identical) universe is created in which the event didn't take place - perhaps there are also universes created in which the event happened differently, but that can be overlooked right now.

My inquiry is as follows: Would the creation of the universe be paralleled by a "universe" in which there's no universe at all? This could possibly even be an "anti-universe", comprised of anti-matter and the like.

To some extent, this could even erase the need for a cause for creation. That is to say, nothing happened (as I call it, a "nothing event") and, to counteract nothing happening, something had to happen - that something being the birth of a universe.

I, personally, usually prefer not to use the many worlds theory to explain things; however, I did find this thought exercise relatively interesting. I figured that with any luck someone here would find it intriguing as well. Tell me what you think, whether you agree or not. Like I said, I was merely playing with thoughts and this was the result.

StarLord

If you can figure out exactly where all the light, energy and matter sucked into Black Holes goes to, you may be on to something. If your theory of duality is correct there is a possibility that in some places in our own universe there are 'holes' spewing matter and energy. But, it could not be Anti Matter.

If it was, we would have heard from the inhabitants about their world dissapearing for no reason at all. In fact, if the reaction of Anti Matter upon matter was fast enough, it sadly, would have gotted the carrier pidgeon on it's way to our world with the dire news.

ZeoEmeraude

Personally, I think Black Holes are a direct result of Oprah and Martha Stewart infecting the multiverse with cheap ways to make tacos from pigeon droppings.

On another note........I would personally like to know what happens to matter and light as it is swallowd up by black holes. I have often pondered that even after matter and light get compressed into oblivion as it enters the event horizon, it goes somewhere.....maybe to another universe or dimension. The real question is, does it get re-materialized into its original shape? Then again light and matter could simply be the fuel for these phenomena.

StarLord

Dancho,

Glad you asked. Lets see, theres "Was a matta you?" , I'll ma matter (the old school you used to go to), That which has mass and exists as a solid, gas, liquid or plasma. , something that occupies space and can be percieved by one or more senses., dark matter that is not really here until brought into being by thought.,
a subject of concern, feeling or action. , trouble or difficulty., aproximated amount, quantity or extent., something printed or otherwise set in writing.

Glad you brought this up, this was probably the reason the carrier pidgeon was flying so slowly to our world with the dire news, it was trying to find a way to express exactly what the matter was.

dWalsh

Where does matter go after it enters a black hole? The following is an excerpt from Stephen Hawking's lecture "Black Holes Ain't So Black":

If an astronaut falls into a black hole, its mass will increase. Eventually, the energy equivalent of that extra mass will be returned to the universe in the form of radiation. Thus, in a sense, the astronaut will be recycled ... The only feature of the astronaut that would survive would be his mass or energy.

So perhaps there is no need for this matter to be anywhere in its normal form; it may be roaming the universe in an unrecognizable state.

dancho

Originally posted by StarLord@Jan 10 2005, 05:34 PM
Dancho,

Glad you asked. Lets see, theres \"Was a matta you?\" , I'll ma matter (the old school you used to go to), That which has mass and exists as a solid, gas, liquid or plasma. , something that occupies space and can be percieved by one or more senses., dark matter that is not really here until brought into being by thought.,
a subject of concern, feeling or action. , trouble or difficulty., aproximated amount, quantity or extent., something printed or otherwise set in writing.

Glad you brought this up, this was probably the reason the carrier pidgeon was flying so slowly to our world with the dire news, it was trying to find a way to express exactly what the matter was.

There is no matter. Matter is in your head, man. :blink: Mass and energy can be observed. Einstein proved that mass=energy. But mass is NOT "matter."

Matter never entered into the equation. Matter is not a scientific concept. It's a popular convention that allows us to describe "objects" when, in fact, objects, as such, are products of the mind. In reality, everything is unified into a single, flowing energy field. Particles are merely "the motions of the needle on the instrument."

There is no scientific definition of "matter."

:devil:

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Originally posted by dancho+Jan 16 2005, 05:10 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-StarLord@Jan 10 2005, 05:34 PM
Dancho,

Glad you asked.? Lets see,? theres "Was a matta you?"? , I'll ma matter (the old school you used to go to), That which has mass and exists as a solid, gas, liquid or plasma. , something that occupies space and can be percieved by one or more senses., dark matter that is not really here until brought into being by thought.,

Glad you brought this up,? this was probably the reason the carrier pidgeon was flying so slowly to our world with the dire news,? it was trying to find a way to express exactly what the matter was.

There is no matter. Matter is in your head, man. :blink: Mass and energy can be observed. Einstein proved that mass=energy. But mass is NOT "matter."

Matter never entered into the equation. Matter is not a scientific concept. It's a popular convention that allows us to describe "objects" when, in fact, objects, as such, are products of the mind. In reality, everything is unified into a single, flowing energy field. Particles are merely "the motions of the needle on the instrument."

There is no scientific definition of "matter."

:devil:
[snapback]20482[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Okay Dancho, I have great respect for your intellect man, I just think that you've got a bit existential on me here. So, if I seem condescending here, please, please forgive me, but a patient explanation seems to be in order.

During the past two centuries, scientists have made great progress in understanding what we and the world about us are made of. First came the realisation that matter consists of basic substances, or elements, with well defined physical and chemical properties. These elements range from hydrogen, the lightest, through to uranium and beyond.

Each element consists of building blocks - atoms - unique to the element, but the different atoms can combine to form an enormous variety of compounds from simple water to complex proteins. Yet, as scientists first discovered towards the end of the 19th century, atoms are not the simplest building bricks of matter.

We now know that most of the mass of an atom is concentrated in a small, dense, positively-charged nucleus. A cloud of tiny negatively-charged electrons envelopes the nucleus, but at a relatively large distance, so that much of the volume of an atom is empty space. In most atoms the nucleus contains two types of particle of almost equal mass: positively-charged protons and electrically neutral neutrons.

We can interact with atoms as they have physically measurable properties. Their physcial presence is what we define as matter and the space that they take up is defined as their mass.

Take any brick wall, make it a big thick one. Run at it head first... when you wake up ask yourself this. Was it the mass of the wall that knocked you out, or the existential matter that the wall is composed of? ;)

Strangevisitor

Re: Many Worlds and an Anti-Universe

I also have to agree with grayson. Although, at times I feel like I don't care if it was the mass of the wall or the existential matter; I just know it knocked me out.