Mass Dolphin Beaching in Japan

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this... I thought it was tragic, and seemed very unusual to me...

A devastating mass beaching of electra dolphins in Japan has triggered fears that an earthquake could be imminent.

The Japan Times reports that beachgoers on the coast of Hokota, north of Tokyo, started to find dozens of the dolphins' corpses washed up last Friday.

dolphinz_0.jpg

Children look at stranded dolphins at the shore in Hokota, north of Tokyo.

Officials worked to save the stranded dolphins, but were able to save only three of the nearly 150 that washed ashore.

“Many people volunteered to rescue them but the dolphins became very, very weak. … Only three of them have been successfully returned to the sea, as far as we can confirm,” a Hokota city official said.

Six days before the catastrophic 2011 tsunami,there was a mass beaching of the same species in Japan, leading some to speculate that this latest beaching will be the precursor to an earthquake offshore.

Scientists, however, are not convinced of this explanation. In fact, they explain that it might be an issue with the animals' sonar.

Al Jazeera America reports that one explanation for the group beaching was that the dolphins became disoriented and lost their sense of direction.

“Sonar waves the dolphins emit might have been absorbed in the shoals, which could cause them to lose their sense of direction, National Museum of Nature and Science researcher Tadasu Yamadao said.

Another theory suggests that a parasite could have disrupted the animals' ability to navigate.

In any case, electra dolphins are known to live in deep waters, and their presence on the beach is a sign of a problem in the marine web off the coast.

b74490dc-8555-4603-b28d-294d3be53ce6.jpg

This article was posted on April 15, 2015. And more recently, the devastating earthquake in Nepal.. I don't know, could this be linked? What do you guys think?

RHYS

Not knowing jackdamn abt dolphins really, except they're supposed to be intelligent. I've studied more abt orcas & intrigued by their pods' unique communication signals (language). If these dolphins are the same way, you think they somehow communicated to hop ashore/suicidal, or are does it suggest maybe earthquake - type pull caused them to land there? Weird.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Not knowing jackdamn abt dolphins really, except they're supposed to be intelligent. I've studied more abt orcas & intrigued by their pods' unique communication signals (language). If these dolphins are the same way, you think they somehow communicated to hop ashore/suicidal, or are does it suggest maybe earthquake - type pull caused them to land there? Weird.
Yeah, I just found it really bizarre and sad.. :( Japan isn't really near Nepal, but depending on where they were in the ocean and where the earthquake started, maybe they were swimming away from it? I literally heard about this a few days before the earthquake...

Nimara

Supposedly, an underwater volcano erupted off the coast of Oregon, yesterday. They issued Tsunami warnings because of it. I only mention it n regards to something the dolphins might need to swim away from. That is quite far from Japan's shores though.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I never thought about what kind of effect a sonar device might have on sea creatures such as dolphins and whales.