Medical Marijuana

dancho

Medical Marijuana

There 's news today about a case involving the ability of the federal government to "overrule" state law.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1129/p02s01-usju.html

If the court decides that "a higher purpose" compels them to enable the federal government to "annul" state law, this will, in effect, be a very strong blow to "state's rights."

The entire issue of "states rights" has (somehow) become a major issue in American politics. I find this to be extremely interesting. I would not be surprised if some "rights" of the states were "restored" in the near future. If the Medical Marijuana case is decided in favor of legal marijuana, and the Constitution Reform Act passes and is signed into law, this country will have gone through a major change.

CaryP

Medical Marijuana

While I could care less about MJ, you're right on Dancho. In the beginning, the states had rights over the federal govt. Since the Civil War, this has been in decline, and now it's the Fed's over everything. How did we get here? We, collectively allowed it to happen. Sucks don't it?

Cary

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Medical Marijuana

OT: I know you don't care, but congratulations on your 1,000th post Cary! ;)

Dancho, Americans are the ones who allowed this to happen... I hope states rights DO get restored, because if they aren't, what's the point of even having states if they're all the same?

ZeoEmeraude

Medical Marijuana

The sad thing here my friends is that so many rights have been lost due to "The Man" having his way, that pretty soon we will be prisioners in our own country. (IMO) I say legilize it. I mean c'mon, have ya ever heard of one reported marijuana death or overdose? I haven't and if there has been, I am almost positive it wasn't the "pot". I think the real reason that it has become the issue that it is today is because "The Man" can't make a profit from it. Sure, ya can regulate it like the tobacco industry has, but in the end every farmer Joe will grow the stuff in his backyard. I see more positive aspects from this plant tho. The male plant (hemp) can be used to make paper, clothes, and rope. Can you imagine how many trees would be saved in a year if we made hemp paper? So what, ppl in the 60's got high and danced naked in a field in upstate New York. So ppl get a little lazy and maybe crave sweets more; the bottom line is that the plant isn't dangerous. (IMO) Ask cancer patients who are enduring chemotherapy if pot helps with the pain of radiation and helps to build an appetite. Ask ppl with glaucoma if pot doesn't help them see. You can see it as either good or bad, but it is simply another foothold that "The Man" has on us to climb up the backs of millions of Americans. Whatever your stance.......remember that the pros can sometimes outweigh the cons.

Judge Bean

Medical Marijuana

Originally posted by ZeoEmeraude@Nov 29 2004, 04:05 PM
The sad thing here my friends is that so many rights have been lost due to \"The Man\" having his way, that pretty soon we will be prisioners in our own country. (IMO) I say legilize it. I mean c'mon, have ya ever heard of one reported marijuana death or overdose? I haven't and if there has been, I am almost positive it wasn't the \"pot\". I think the real reason that it has become the issue that it is today is because \"The Man\" can't make a profit from it. Sure, ya can regulate it like the tobacco industry has, but in the end every farmer Joe will grow the stuff in his backyard. I see more positive aspects from this plant tho. The male plant (hemp) can be used to make paper, clothes, and rope. Can you imagine how many trees would be saved in a year if we made hemp paper? So what, ppl in the 60's got high and danced naked in a field in upstate New York. So ppl get a little lazy and maybe crave sweets more; the bottom line is that the plant isn't dangerous. (IMO) Ask cancer patients who are enduring chemotherapy if pot helps with the pain of radiation and helps to build an appetite. Ask ppl with glaucoma if pot doesn't help them see. You can see it as either good or bad, but it is simply another foothold that \"The Man\" has on us to climb up the backs of millions of Americans. Whatever your stance.......remember that the pros can sometimes outweigh the cons.

Yep, and it keeps the most popular and cheapest drug, and safest illegal one, firmly within federal jurisdiction. The forces of the market in drugs and the federal "drug enforcement" apparatus are codependent. The feds will sacrifice any mere principle, such as States' Rights, to retain the power and cash, and need to be able to drop paratroopers into the woods around Eureka and Placerville without answering to the County prosecutor.

Whew. I'm going to go get some Fritos.

StarLord

Medical Marijuana

Which reminds me, I am very surprised that the snack corporations, Read:Junk Food have not seriously lobbied for de criminalization of the nefarious weed. If it wasn't for all those folks out there suffering from terminal munchies candy and junk food manufacturers would be in a serious slump.

PyRo99

Medical Marijuana

They should just legalize the drug.

If you come to my Highschool, you will notice that 3/4 of the school has done/does weed as of right now. The freshment represent the 1/4 that hasn't really done weed, except for those that did it in 8th grade. Though, many people are moving onto bigger and more harmful drugs, such as LSD, Crack, Cocaine, Heroin etc.

As well as smoking cigerettes, and drinking alchol underage. Its ridiculous to say, "Don't drink till you're 21", when were going to do it anyways. We have earned a notorious title of drugs, and alchol. Rich White kids, with nothing to spend it on.

And you can tie sex right into this. They say, wait until you're 18, that's just so its not rape. I can honestly say, that more than 3/4 of my school has had sex already, and mind you, we are not located in some poor sect.

They think that you are not able, nor mature enough to do any of these things, maturely. But lets look at College kids when they turn 21, they go out and have their notorious 21 shots, some people die.

My phiolsophy on the whole matter, if you're able to purchase these things, with maturity then you are ready to use them, whether you use them excessively or not, is up to you're own preference.

Why should we place a legal boundary on something, when were going to break it irregardless of what the law says. The Government sure likes to enforce some rules, but loves to break others.

Where did I leave my match...

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Medical Marijuana

Marijuana is a Class III drug in the UK. This still makes it illegal to sell, but not illegal to use it in the confines of your own home, nor possess enough for that use.

According to the figures, Home Office and Office of National Statistics coupled with National Helth Service figures, not one person has died from the use of Mary-Jane, not one person has been involved in a Traffic accident, no-one has committed an assault, not murder whilst under the influence of Mary-Jane... so, where is the crime? Marijuana is currently under trial as a treatment for pain relief for Cancer, Arthritis and Multiple-Sclerosis sufferers and it is working, very well in fact. So well that Marijuana will soon be available as a prescription drug.

Marijuana quite simply stimulates the production of endorphins in the brain, so does sex, chocolate and humuor. It is NOT addictive, but the nicotine in the carrier tobacco is. Many people smoke MJ and do not smoke cigarettes, which increases the withdrawal effect (due to nicotine deprivation) and makes people THINK that they need another toke/hit/spliff. Endorphins are natural pain blockers, so if you twist your ankle, eat chocolate, have sex and laugh about it.

generally speaking, according to the above mentioned figures, responsible Marijuana users are less inclined to take time off work through ill health, enjoy better relationships with their friends and families and enjoy a better frame of mind on the whole. They understand the nature of their activity and do generally confine the drug to recreational and therapeutic use. In the UK, the Marijuana population enjoys an average age of 40 and are otherwise responsible community members with older teens or mature families.

Marijuana does not give you cancer, the tobacco can. Marijuana does not make you angry, tense, violent or otherwise in the throes of any negative emotions. All it does is make you happy, dozy and hungry. It does not encourage promiscuity, nor drop inhibitions like alchohol. Anyone using MJ as an excuse for getting pregnant, having sex, or punching someone out, wanted to do it anyway and saw the drug as an excuse to get away with it as you always remain in full possession of you faculties whilst using it.

I don't use it, but can't see why this beneficial drug is illegal.

Alchohol is far more destructive to individuals and society, legal and widespread in use. Where is the sense in that?

The_Ruffneck

Medical Marijuana

The government should legalise it for medical purposes and make some money off it.They should also legalise euthenasia.

Judge Bean

Medical Marijuana

Originally posted by Grayson@Dec 7 2004, 11:39 AM

... Endorphins are natural pain blockers, so if you twist your ankle, eat chocolate, have sex and laugh about it.

This is incredible! This is exactly what happened to me last night!