Mission To Mysterious Uranus

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Earlier this year, the Planetary Science Decadal Survey recommended that NASA consider sending a mission to the planet Uranus. With all the attention paid to Mars, Jupiter, and even poor little Pluto, what's the draw in going to Uranus?

Lots, says Mark Hofstadter of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory

"Uranus is a type of a planet that we know very little about," he says. "Thirty years ago we thought Uranus and Neptune were just smaller versions of Jupiter and Saturn."

We now know that the outermost planets in our solar neighborhood are not gas giants filled with hydrogen and helium gas, but rather "ice giants" containing a large mixture of water, methane, ammonia and carbon dioxide.

Current tallies of exoplanets suggest that ice giants are more common in our galaxy than the larger gas giants.

"We'd like to study our local examples of this common type of planet," Hofstadter says.

If you had to pick one, Uranus is probably the better destination than Neptune. It challenges scientific models with its unique rotation and puzzling internal structure. Moreover, planet number 7 is easier to get to than planet number 8.

Hofstadter is one of a group of scientists exploring the potential of sending an orbiter to Uranus. One particular proposal, called Uranus Pathfinder, was recently considered by the European Space Agency (ESA).

"Both the European and American sides are convinced that an orbiter is needed rather than a fly by," says Chris Arridge of the University College London and PI of Uranus Pathfinder. "But then costs rear their ugly head."

Read full article here: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-mission-mysterious-uranus.html

ZeoEmeraude

Would you want NASA going to Ur anus? I'd have to say no. I don't swing that way. LOL (Someone was bound to joke about it...so it might as well be me)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
LOL I expected that one! I gotta say, it would cost less money if it was that way though.

Do you think such a mission is worth its cost? I mean, a mission to Uranus, not Ur anus. ;)

Rosco..Jones

Yep Yep Yep Uranus is a strange one for sure. But, curiosity can be damn expensive.
Uranus' tilt is likely caused by a collision similar to that that formed our Earth-Moon system.
It could be possible that the inner core did not shift with this collision, which might explain the magnetic anomaly.
I am somewhat surprised that a cold core planet even has a magnetic field.
A core rotating in a different direction than the outer core, may have something to do with this.
But, MY curiosity is limited by my pocketbook.