My time travel theory...

StarLord

Re: My time travel theory...

Oh, that's easy, you have two ways to pul that off. 1- You call the Temporal Time Constabulary Force, very much like AAA. 2- Or you simply follow those little time crumbs you left on the ground after leaving that Ginger Bread Time House where the wiked old timekeeper is stuffed in the oven. CAUTION make very sure you feed the Time Crows first before you leave the Ginger Bread Time House.

aurora51

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"st0len\")</div>
If you can only time travel into the future how will you timetravel back to your correct place in the universe?[/b]

the arrow of time only points in one direction. time dilation is real and proven.
travel into the past is possible only in theory, which hasn't been disproven.
i don't mean to ruffle any chrono-feathers here, just my opinion.:)

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"aurora51\")</div>
are you refering to the einstein-rosen bridge?

in a swartzchild black hole, once the traveler passes the event horizon, there is no return and ultimately he is crushed at the singularity. sounds like a good place to stay away from if you ask me.:lol:

with a kerr black hole on the other hand, it may be possible, providing the theoretical \"whitehole\" exists. problem with that is that the second law of thermodynamics does'nt allow it.[/b]

Either. I'm not talking about crossing the event horizon, merely utilizing the huge spacetime warping in the general vicinity of the event horizon. For this the black hole must be very massive though.

I have read of two time machine designs that might work if we only could manipulate extreme masses. One was a rotating supermassive torus and the other was two supermassive rotating cylinders. As I recall, neither one had to be so massive as to have an event horizon. Just neutronium or something, I think.

Harte

aurora51

harte, do you remember where you read about this?
it seems like controlling the masses may prove more difficult than time travel itself.

cool avatar by the way.

aurora

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"aurora51\")</div>
harte, do you remember where you read about this?
it seems like controlling the masses may prove more difficult than time travel itself.

cool avatar by the way.

aurora[/b]

Aurora,

Sorry I don't remember exactly, but I still got something for you:

<a href=\'http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0004226A-F77D-1D4A-90FB809EC5880000\' target=\'_blank\'>http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID...0FB809EC5880000</a>

This explains a cylinder-type time machine (I think). I believe I read about the Torus-type in Omni magazine, many years ago before it became a UFO rag.

Harte

Harte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora51
i agree that time travel will most likely only be possible into the future. theoretically, travel back in time would require greater than c. velocity, which violates einsteins theory that nothing can travel faster than light. however, if you could travel far enough into the future, the technology might exist and we could bring the knowledge back with us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
Aurora,

Einstein's General Theory of Relativity allows time travel into the past using massive gravitation like that found near a black hole. High speed is not required.
The only open question in this is will the traveller emerge into our past or that of another universe. General Relativity has not answered this particular question.:)

Harte[/b]

Aurora,

In my search for time machines on google, I found out that it has been recently shown that there is no bridge to a different universe when utilizing a black hole. (But I lost the link). I have yet to find out what that means regarding time travel at a black hole.

I do have this link that lists different time machine possibilities. Not much detail here though.

http://www.math.siu.edu/kocik/tm/tm-exm.htm - pagetop]http://www.math.siu.edu/kocik/tm/tm-exm.htm[/url] - pagetop

Harte

aurora51

being "near" a black hole at a safe distance like the torus for instance may warp space/time enough for time to be altered, but what practical or observable use it would be escapes me to. also, it would be impossible to control the time variance i would think. i have not had a chance to check out the link yet but i will tonight.

i'd be interested to hear your views on this.

aurora