Mystery Of Stargates - Gateways Of The Gods

Harte

I see what you're saying but on the other hand Troy was thought to be fictional until it was found.
I realize that fringe proponents have turned the supposed mythical nature of Troy before discovery into a truism - but it's not true.

There was no consensus on whether Troy existed prior to the discovery of the site at Hisarlik by Frank Calvert.
It's unfortunate that the clown Schliemann horned in on the site instead of another more serious researcher. That one thing opened the door to fringe con men to create this false dialogue about Troy - because Schliemann was a clowning buffoon and his antics were constantly (and rightly) ridiculed.
Plus the fact that a submerged section of land was discovered in the area the Lemuria theorist claimed it would have existed.
Lemuria was proposed out of thin air by actual scientists trying to find reasons why lemur fossils were found on mainland Asia when lemurs' only known habitat was Madagascar. There were no "Lemuria theorists" other than those and it was always only a theoretical land bridge that is now known for a fact to have never existed.
The lemur fossils (along with many other fossils around the world) were explained once plate tectonics was verified.
I'm not saying it existed but there is enough circumstantial evidence for me to at least think its possible it did exist. Kinda like the myth busters its possible but not really plausible imho. But I'm not going to ridicule anyone for researching it.
People like Helena Blavatski - a demonstrated fraud caught red handed multiple times - took the theory of the Lemuria land bridge and ran with it - inventing ever more ignorant things about it as they went along. Every "mysterious" thing you've ever heard about Lemuria comes straight from her (and others) racist rants about it. The entire thing is a made-up fiction.

Harte

981cav

I realize that fringe proponents have turned the supposed mythical nature of Troy before discovery into a truism - but it's not true.

There was no consensus on whether Troy existed prior to the discovery of the site at Hisarlik by Frank Calvert.
It's unfortunate that the clown Schliemann horned in on the site instead of another more serious researcher. That one thing opened the door to fringe con men to create this false dialogue about Troy - because Schliemann was a clowning buffoon and his antics were constantly (and rightly) ridiculed.

Lemuria was proposed out of thin air by actual scientists trying to find reasons why lemur fossils were found on mainland Asia when lemurs' only known habitat was Madagascar. There were no "Lemuria theorists" other than those and it was always only a theoretical land bridge that is now known for a fact to have never existed.
The lemur fossils (along with many other fossils around the world) were explained once plate tectonics was verified.

People like Helena Blavatski - a demonstrated fraud caught red handed multiple times - took the theory of the Lemuria land bridge and ran with it - inventing ever more ignorant things about it as they went along. Every "mysterious" thing you've ever heard about Lemuria comes straight from her (and others) racist rants about it. The entire thing is a made-up fiction.

Harte
There is enough evidence to make a pretty good argument that site was Troy. Like the original guy or not enough other people have seen enough evidence to say it's not a fringe idea. Is there anything substantial found in or around the site saying hey we were the Trojans that used a huge wooden horse to gain entry to a city we were at war with no.

Yes the race and lost continent of Lemuria is fictional but scientists found that a land mass off the coast of India submerged 84 million years ago lemurs didn't make it to Madagascar until 20 some odd mil. years after that. The evidence of this land mass was discovered on the island of Mauritius it was once part of this land mass and a few million years ago popped up from tectonic activity.

I think a lot of the want to believe in ancient civilizations and lost continents stems from mythology/religion they all had a myth of a time before theirs lost to a great cataclysm.

Harte

There is enough evidence to make a pretty good argument that site was Troy. Like the original guy or not enough other people have seen enough evidence to say it's not a fringe idea. Is there anything substantial found in or around the site saying hey we were the Trojans that used a huge wooden horse to gain entry to a city we were at war with no.
I agree about the evidence. The people of the region itself stated that this location was Troy before Calvert even started looking there.
The fringe idea is that the mainstream considered Troy completely mythical. That is simply not true.
Schliemann's antics gave fringe proponents the argument that he had been "ridiculed" for his find. That is also not the case.
He was ridiculed for his ridiculous claims about the site (and other sites.) The man actually had himself and his wife parading around in public in gold relics he'd found - claiming they had belonged to Agamemnon. He was a doofus, a goofball, and a buffoon.

Yes the race and lost continent of Lemuria is fictional but scientists found that a land mass off the coast of India submerged 84 million years ago lemurs didn't make it to Madagascar until 20 some odd mil. years after that. The evidence of this land mass was discovered on the island of Mauritius it was once part of this land mass and a few million years ago popped up from tectonic activity.
India itself continues to sink - both on the East and west coasts.
There are several areas worldwide that are underwater today that were once above sea level. Some we overtaken by sea level rise, but MOST sank due to tectonic subduction or isostatic rebound resulting from loss of ice coverage.
None of them are Lemuria.

As is said, Lemuria was an invented term. The term got taken by the fringe, who made up an entire line of hooey about it.
There IS no ancient myth about anyplace called Lemuria (or Atlantis either, for that matter.)

I think a lot of the want to believe in ancient civilizations and lost continents stems from mythology/religion they all had a myth of a time before theirs lost to a great cataclysm.
Lots of cultures have a "Golden Age" myth - or something similar. There are various reasons for this. Some of the myths are true, in fact. The sunken lands/cataclysms myths could be somewhat true in some cases, but certainly not in a large percentage of cases. It's just an easy way for a myth to explain why such an age came to an end.

Harte

981cav

I agree about the evidence. The people of the region itself stated that this location was Troy before Calvert even started looking there.
The fringe idea is that the mainstream considered Troy completely mythical. That is simply not true.
Schliemann's antics gave fringe proponents the argument that he had been "ridiculed" for his find. That is also not the case.
He was ridiculed for his ridiculous claims about the site (and other sites.) The man actually had himself and his wife parading around in public in gold relics he'd found - claiming they had belonged to Agamemnon. He was a doofus, a goofball, and a buffoon.

India itself continues to sink - both on the East and west coasts.
There are several areas worldwide that are underwater today that were once above sea level. Some we overtaken by sea level rise, but MOST sank due to tectonic subduction or isostatic rebound resulting from loss of ice coverage.
None of them are Lemuria.

As is said, Lemuria was an invented term. The term got taken by the fringe, who made up an entire line of hooey about it.
There IS no ancient myth about anyplace called Lemuria (or Atlantis either, for that matter.)

Lots of cultures have a "Golden Age" myth - or something similar. There are various reasons for this. Some of the myths are true, in fact. The sunken lands/cataclysms myths could be somewhat true in some cases, but certainly not in a large percentage of cases. It's just an easy way for a myth to explain why such an age came to an end.

Harte

It appears we agree on these subjects. My replies were merely long winded examples of why can't we let the dreamers dream. Stagnation is not good for discovery in any field. I'm not saying we should listen to crazy people but certain things we need to keep an open mind to.

Harte

It appears we agree on these subjects. My replies were merely long winded examples of why can't we let the dreamers dream. Stagnation is not good for discovery in any field. I'm not saying we should listen to crazy people but certain things we need to keep an open mind to.
Because:
People that are actually interested in the paranormal mostly understand that studying BS stories isn't the way to go about learning anything.
People that are actually interested in the paranormal mostly understand that Lemuria never existed, and that no ancient source claims it did.

Harte

Harte

Where did I say we should study BS stories?
If you did, I didn't see it.
I just quoted my post you first responded to in this thread as an answer to your question "why can't we let the dreamers dream."

Dream on, I say. Just don't dream about a bullshit story made up by people trying to get you to spend your money on absolute rubbish.

Harte

lamdo263