baryn

Hi! I joined this forum today because I woke up with a theory in my head. A theory that could make time travel possible. Maybe it's not new and you have all heard it before, either way, here it goes...

We all know that Einstein said that the speed of light is always constant and to time travel you would need to move faster than the speed of light. We also know that Einstein's theory was proven false, and that the speed of light is slowed down when passing through objects like glass, crystal, and even water.

My theory is, if there was a way to create an enviroment that can slow down the speed of light enough that a "time machine" of sorts could move faster than the speed of light, we would be able to move foward in time in this enviroment.

Now, the enviroment, that I am not sure of. Because it could be as simple as building a submarine to move through the ocean at an incredibly rapid speed (because water slows light). My theory is flawed of course in many ways but then again, it is perfectly logical.

What if we build a craft to move through water made of crystal and glass, as to slow down the speed of light so dramatically that we wouldn't even have to move unthinkably fast.
Time travel seems so easily accessable. Then again, I am new and maybe you will lovingly school in me and my theories.

baryn

Well, 20 or so people have read this topic and no one has replied. I would appreciate at least 1 reply, even if you bash me....I would still appreciate it

Thank you,
Baryn

HackimerRob

Baryn, your theory does make good sense and alas the material through which we'd need to travel would be the hard part. I've been working on a prototype of a machine, using electromagnets and a "space/time" bending mechanism based on e=mc2. see the thread here:
http://www.timetravelforum.net/forums/inde...p?showtopic=106
I have also been mulling a means of moving through solid matter since there is so much "space" inside of atoms, we should be able to affect a linerization of the electron shields to affect such a movement. What do you think?
Electromagnets, I think it's all about the electromagnets.

CaryP

Originally posted by baryn@Aug 19 2004, 04:25 PM
Well, 20 or so people have read this topic and no one has replied. I would appreciate at least 1 reply, even if you bash me....I would still appreciate it

Thank you,
Baryn

Baryn,

As far as I know we don't have any physicists here to make any intelligent comments on your theory. You damned sure don't want ever drivel I could offer up. Don't expect a lot of scientific commentary on this. Your theory is pure speculation, so anybody's input would be more speculation. As far as bashing goes - usually doesn't happen here. If you want bashing go over to the anomalies.net site. There's plenty of sharks there looking for newbie blood. We're a pretty friendly lot here. Just don't go jumping anybody here, or making any wild claims and you'll get along fine. We've had a few yokels come on here and start jumping everybody's ass, including the owner of the site. We, or more appropriately the mods, made pretty quick work of them. Peace and chains. Welcome to the TTF.net.

Cary

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Here's my thoughts on TT, coincidentally talking in a round about fashion to your theory.

If Entropy has anything to do with it, the Universe is slowly dying. This is because systems inherently break down at both the macro, micro and sub-atomic levels.

Space is not infinite, it curves back on itself, giving the impression of being infinite, but not actually being so. We live on a Stellar mobius strip.

Space can only hold so much of itself, so much matter at any given time. So, matter decays into heat, light, radiation, sub-atomic gubbinsey-bits and so on. If that were not so, the Universe would either A) increase in mass, or B)stay the same size, which is not the case as the Universe is losing weight. Dietus Galacticus.

The time I had a second ago, is gone. There can't be two times at once as the Universe would double in weight. So, Entropy has destroyed that time and the Universe obviously regenerates on a squintillionth of a second-by-second basis.

Imagine that the Universe is therefore a hard-drive with 1 sectors/clusters/whatever. We are at sector/cluster/whatever 1 and a second ago sector/cluster/whatever 1 was erased to make way for the new Universal Data Imprint of the new sector/cluster/whatever 1, because the har-drive can only store one second at a time. The next second has yet to be written to the hard-drive.

I cannot go back in time, because it has been erased to make way for the current time. I cannot go forward in time, as it has yet to be written. This time is the only time, unless the Universe is backing itself up onto tape somewhere.

Just having some fun. ;)

baryn

Let me start out by thanking everyone who replied...I honestly didn't know if my theory would fly. Again, I only signed up today because I woke up this morning with this "theory" in my head. I don't study this, I have never read about it, and most of what I know comes from seeing Donny Darko and what little info I have in my brain about Einstein.

In light of all that...Grayson, thank you very much for your reply, and though I don't follow much of it, it's greatly appreciated. Cary, thank you for making me feel welcome and because of you, I definetly see myself coming here again and again. Oh, and, Cary, as you can see, I don't really follow the scientific commentary ahaha. So thanks again! Rob, I loved what you had to say, I love your ideas and as soon as I am done writing this I am reading your post.

So yeah, Ima dork...but anyhow, thanks again to everyone!

Baryn

sosuemetoo

Baryn,

I just wanted to welcome you to our community. We hope you enjoy your stay.

One of the reasons that you had many views of your thread, but no replies, could have been because the views were from guests...who are not eligible to post. Just so you didn't think you were being ignored. We never ignore new members!

I look forward to your future posts.

"Resident Mom"

baryn

sosuemetoo, thank you so much!! Thank you for pointing out that it could have been guests viewing, I didn't think of that. Thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Baryn

sosuemetoo

Originally posted by baryn@Aug 19 2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Baryn

Baryn,
No problem, I encourage you to introduce yourself on this thread:

http://www.timetravelforum.net/forums/inde...p?showtopic=198

Just add a reply.

....and, don't worry about understanding the scientific commentary. We come from all walks of life. I believe in time travel, but flunked Physics my senior year in high school ;) However, there are many on this board that have far greater knowledge in that field than I. Listen, learn and enjoy.

"Mom"

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor

Welcome Baryn,

I may be the closes thing to a physicist on this board. I have my Masters from a large college in the Midwest, ?USA?. And have been working for over 30 years in the Aerospace and Engineering Industry. I believe your theory may hold water, but water, crystals, or etc. are not the answer. You need something that is faster then light, the only thing I can think of is electro-magnetism which can be controlled electrically.

I have a Time Travel web site, which you may find some answers to Time Travel.
The Link

http://s3.invisionfree.com/Time_Travel_The...act=Reg&CODE=00

Professor Opmmur @);-