OUTRAGE: New in Town > Famished > Forget to pay $5 for sandwich > 1 day in custody > AWESOME

Himalayan Hermit

OK..mates, this is the most retarded thing ever. Esp. when you read about million dollar scams each day and read about how celebrities and these CEOs get treated >> this poor couple (new in town) really had an unfortunate day at Safeway.

Just read this article. This can happen to anyone of us. Especially with all the Budget cuts going around - is this bloody fruitful use of Police Time?? How RETARDED the MANAGER was of this Store I have to ask here.

Sorry for the caps.

titorite

OK..mates, this is the most retarded thing ever. Esp. when you read about million dollar scams each day and read about how celebrities and these CEOs get treated >> this poor couple (new in town) really had an unfortunate day at Safeway.

Just read this article. This can happen to anyone of us. Especially with all the Budget cuts going around - is this bloody fruitful use of Police Time?? How RETARDED the MANAGER was of this Store I have to ask here.

Sorry for the caps.
I like the anolog marking look of the post ;)

Yeah I saw this on the news.... That safeway is getting international attention. The manager should be fired... it isn't like they did not pay for a bunch of other groceries. It isn't like they meant to burn the grocery store over two sandwiches. They had the money to pay....if the sandwich thing really burned the managers chops he coulda taken their money and trespassed them.

Harte

I would have gone for salami.

Chicken salad from a grocery?

Ugh.

Harte

Whitelight

I have some insight on this as this woman frequents baby/pregnancy forums and I am a member of one. We discussed this on our forum as she posted about this on another forum called babycentre. She deleted her post on babycentre but we were able to dig up the original through internet archives.

Her story doesn't make sense, she states she paid her groceries with WIC and according to others WIC would not have covered those sandwhiches (I'm in Canada so I don't understand it completely). She also had the wrappers at the bottom of the stroller, almost as if they were hidden. When it comes down to it, every single person caught stealing says they were going to pay and forgot. No one ever admits they stole it. She should have paid for it, no matter how hungry she was, before she ate the goods. She commited theft and that's why they were arrested.

The store has their policies, whether she was pregnant or had a child with her or not. She stole because she left the store without paying for the goods she consumed. It seems harsh when you look at it, but when you think about all the details the stores actions start looking a lot more reasonable.

Himalayan Hermit

I have some insight on this as this woman frequents baby/pregnancy forums and I am a member of one. We discussed this on our forum as she posted about this on another forum called babycentre. She deleted her post on babycentre but we were able to dig up the original through internet archives.

Her story doesn't make sense, she states she paid her groceries with WIC and according to others WIC would not have covered those sandwhiches (I'm in Canada so I don't understand it completely). She also had the wrappers at the bottom of the stroller, almost as if they were hidden. When it comes down to it, every single person caught stealing says they were going to pay and forgot. No one ever admits they stole it. She should have paid for it, no matter how hungry she was, before she ate the goods. She commited theft and that's why they were arrested.

The store has their policies, whether she was pregnant or had a child with her or not. She stole because she left the store without paying for the goods she consumed. It seems harsh when you look at it, but when you think about all the details the stores actions start looking a lot more reasonable.
Regardless. Taking away the young baby was still a little harsh keeping in mind the amount that they did not pay for...

Whitelight

Yeah, it sucks that their child had to spend the night away from them. I could imagine it would be quite scary for that child.

But they are also both adults who should have paid for their food before they ate it and left the store. They shouldn't be treated differently then anyone else because they had a child with them. It's not a 'Get out of jail' card.