Paula's Search for Artifacts

Harte

I am so frustrated. I can't find anything. So many locals find tons of arrow heads. We're digging to add plumbing to a workshop we're building -- nothing. I'm running around digging and raking leaves. Nothing. I found some old wood planks, but there's no way to tell how old it is and it is probably garbage. Everyone on videos makes it sound so easy. My city and area had heavy native occupation along with settlers, campers from Cracker Trail, etc. My metal detector gets nothing, but I am considering buying a better one. The whole thing is like a needle in a haystack. Where do you dig? And the mosquitoes don't help! They bite through clothes and face nets!!!!!

Honestly, am I being too weird? Should I give up? I'm not sure what to do with myself if I give up. Finding bones is now boring.

SIGH. Always seems like other people get to find the cool stuff in life: artifacts, big foot, ufo's. Me? Nada.
Reminds me of the man looking for his keys under a street light - he lost them somewhere else, but he can see better there.
But artifacts aren't keys you've lost, so try looking in places where you can see better - areas with stone outcrops nearby and little tree cover - less ground litter to look under.
Places where you can see gravel.
Places near creeks (runoff tends to keep the ground more clear.)
Even IN creeks. Or dry creek beds and gullies.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Reminds me of the man looking for his keys under a street light - he lost them somewhere else, but he can see better there.
But artifacts aren't keys you've lost, so try looking in places where you can see better - areas with stone outcrops nearby and little tree cover - less ground litter to look under.
Places where you can see gravel.
Places near creeks (runoff tends to keep the ground more clear.)
Even IN creeks. Or dry creek beds and gullies.

Harte

Done all that except there is NO gravel or rocks on my property other than limestone! Plenty of creeks. Looked in the winter. Nothing. I have the end of a large creek that's attached to the river, too. It dries up in the winter, The creeks have no rocks at all.
Did random digging in the middle of the creek when it was dry and just found water. LOL.

I haven't seen the skunk ape, yet. LOL.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
On a brighter note, my pretending to be an archaeologist is causing me to lose weight, and btw, drinking red wine diminishes the effect of deer fly bites. They'll disappear the next day instead of itching for a week. They are worse than mosquitoes. I apparently found an undocumented treatment.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
On a brighter note, my pretending to be an archaeologist is causing me to lose weight, and btw, drinking red wine diminishes the effect of deer fly bites. They'll disappear the next day instead of itching for a week. They are worse than mosquitoes. I apparently found an undocumented treatment.
Someone once told me that if you don't scratch the bite area, it will heal faster. I tried this recently and this appears to work.

Bones McCoy

Someone once told me that if you don't scratch the bite area, it will heal faster. I tried this recently and this appears to work.
Carbolic soap repels mosquitoes. But try finding carbolic soap nowadays. It used to be very common, now only specialty stores stock it.

MODAT7

And the mosquitoes don't help! They bite through clothes and face nets!!!!!
In Texas, they just bite your head off. We don't go on walks carrying shotguns to defend ourselves from bears, rabid ducks, and mountain lions...

and btw, drinking red wine diminishes the effect of deer fly bites. They'll disappear the next day instead of itching for a week. They are worse than mosquitoes. I apparently found an undocumented treatment.
Umm... you just got so plastered that you passed out for a week.

I use my blood electrifier on each side of a mosquito bite (of which I'm extremely allergic), and it'll knock down the itching for a half day. The electricity really stings, so it probably overloads nerves, kills off whatever the mosquito spit into me, and maybe helps break down some of the chemicals. I don't know why the itch keeps coming back, but it's usually gone after a few days.

No UFOs!, either!
You really don't want to find one of these buried. If they're close to your house when they power up and launch, you'll have a lot of damage. It will look more like a sink hole when everything's done. When you tell your neighbors that it really flew up in the air, they'll start asking you about your deer fly bites.

I am so frustrated. I can't find anything.
Perhaps you weren't supposed to find something, but to build something? How hard is that limestone to work with? Maybe build a mosoleum to all the dead animals on your property? That way you won't have to give up. If the limestone is layered and can split nicely, grab some mortar and start working on your outside patio, increase your house resale value.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
In Texas, they just bite your head off. We don't go on walks carrying shotguns to defend ourselves from bears, rabid ducks, and mountain lions...

Umm... you just got so plastered that you passed out for a week.

I use my blood electrifier on each side of a mosquito bite (of which I'm extremely allergic), and it'll knock down the itching for a half day. The electricity really stings, so it probably overloads nerves, kills off whatever the mosquito spit into me, and maybe helps break down some of the chemicals. I don't know why the itch keeps coming back, but it's usually gone after a few days.

You really don't want to find one of these buried. If they're close to your house when they power up and launch, you'll have a lot of damage. It will look more like a sink hole when everything's done. When you tell your neighbors that it really flew up in the air, they'll start asking you about your deer fly bites.

Perhaps you weren't supposed to find something, but to build something? How hard is that limestone to work with? Maybe build a mosoleum to all the dead animals on your property? That way you won't have to give up. If the limestone is layered and can split nicely, grab some mortar and start working on your outside patio, increase your house resale value.

You're funny.

The limestone is old, in chunks, with holes in it. I finally got 3 different geologists to identify it. It's not in layers or anything, just loose, random chunks. I may be able to fix holes in my driveway with it. That's about all. Besides, I'm not a builder. I'm a tiny woman with no strength and no carpentry skills whatsoever. I've been a computer nerd my entire life.

Mosquito bites don't bother me. And you don't need to get drunk for the wine to work on fly bites. Just takes one glass.

Last edited: