PC Speakers Picking up Radio Waves

Wind7

Staff
Makes you wonder what conversations *you're* having that others are listening in on...........

🕵️‍♂️

That would explain the semi-hidden, dark van parked halfway into my neighbor's driveway
and the oversized butterfly nets that never seem to be able to catch their prey. (Snicker!)

;)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Hey, I experienced this a couple of months ago. I heard muffled babbling in my earphones when my music was quiet, on my computer.

Couldn't decipher what was being said, could not even guess the language. Increasing volume didn't seem to make it louder.

It didn't happen enough times to make me wonder what it was or mention it. Well, now it's intriguing me.

It's certainly weird!!

We can probably exclude police radio, because these are often encrypted and brief. Russian long wave only plays music.

It could be amateur radio, which are used by the people maintaining radio antennas and other electronic geeks. These people usually have antennas visible miles away on their houses, so finding the house might be simplest. When my uncle took down a christmas decoration from his antenna, children in his town became sad.

Probably, but again, someone has something recorded and is playing it non-stop. Just so strange.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
By the way, I only hear it when I play Civilization VI. It's not a sound effect because it wouldn't fit with the game and the speakers do hiss a bit at the same time. They are cheap speakers. I didn't need anything expensive.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Pardon my ignorance, but FM and AM are not short wave, correct? I want to find an affordable shortwave receiver and AM/FM radios appear in the search.

Can anyone recommend one?

There was a PC kit somewhere. Can't find it.

Beholder

Can get a cheap but high frequency PC connected oscilloscope and attach an antenna, then convert the input to frequency amplitudes using a fourier transform. You see which frequencies are broadcasting outside of known frequencies and can get the right radio.