Photographer may have captured ghosts of past soldiers in Singapore

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A photographer in Singapore unknowingly captured a rather eerie scene.

Thomas Tan, who said he was taking photos of the fog that had moved into the Sembawang shipyard on the north part of the island, noticed what look to be human figures standing in his photographs afterwards.

e9b56e50-6b77-11e5-8013-51fe0fac5d07_thomas_tan.jpg

7709cc14e3b8621fe00f2c9c3f307f11

dcc1c343829e875aea2256f3c215a881

Source:
Photographer may have captured ghosts of past soldiers in Singapore

What do you think?

TimeFlipper

CDS Chris should help us out on this one
Not seen many of your great video postings recently Chris :)

TimeFlipper

Of course they could be some of the sailors from the USS Eldridge ship that disappeared during the famous Philadelphia Experiment,and somehow got teleported to Singapore..Maybe they all had relations in Singapore and are now wandering through time itself, trying to locate them....Or is this being a bit too far fetched on my part?? :D

LisaTiffany

As a photographer I have to add that one of the main reasons he may have indeed captured spirits is actually down to something he probably still hasn't noticed. ISO folks, if you want to capture spirits then the higher your ISO the better your chances will be. You need a high ISO to shoot in dark situations but consumer grade cameras don't always handle ISO values very well, as you raise the ISO you gradually add noise so if it's very high then the image will be very grainy. I mainly shoot rock concerts so I'm constantly working in the dark with an ISO of about 1600 or higher, I can go very high with my ISO before I notice noise because it's industry standard equipment but the downside is the faster the shot then the more frozen my subject and you need to have a sense of movement when documenting live music. He states in the post that he shot in RAW so he may have been using a professional or sem-pro camera, his ISO was naturally high for the scene he was shooting so without knowing it he actually gave himself some very solid settings to capture something the naked eye so often misses.

Just recently I was doing a spirit session and talking to many of my regulars, I had 3 cameras in the room because I'd recently covered a show. When I picked up the In-fared camera and asked would anyone like their picture taken a lady clearly told me she didn't want to be filmed, while a male said "I'll film you". My own two cents on the high ISO theory is pretty simple, ISO lets you shoot incredibly fast and spirits tend to show up more clearly when a faster shutter speed is used. You would assume that a long exposure would mean a higher chance in catching the spirits but they move so fast that you would actually miss them. I believe the guy, I think he had the right location and the right settings. One of the main explanations sceptics would jump to (apart from the obvious photoshop) would be a long exposure capturing people walking through the frame but I know by looking at those street lights that he didn't have the shutter open long enough to get that effect. I'd love to see the RAW myself, if real then it's one of the best digital spirit shots I've seen in a long time.

TimeFlipper

As a photographer I have to add that one of the main reasons he may have indeed captured spirits is actually down to something he probably still hasn't noticed. ISO folks, if you want to capture spirits then the higher your ISO the better your chances will be. You need a high ISO to shoot in dark situations but consumer grade cameras don't always handle ISO values very well, as you raise the ISO you gradually add noise so if it's very high then the image will be very grainy. I mainly shoot rock concerts so I'm constantly working in the dark with an ISO of about 1600 or higher, I can go very high with my ISO before I notice noise because it's industry standard equipment but the downside is the faster the shot then the more frozen my subject and you need to have a sense of movement when documenting live music. He states in the post that he shot in RAW so he may have been using a professional or sem-pro camera, his ISO was naturally high for the scene he was shooting so without knowing it he actually gave himself some very solid settings to capture something the naked eye so often misses.

Just recently I was doing a spirit session and talking to many of my regulars, I had 3 cameras in the room because I'd recently covered a show. When I picked up the In-fared camera and asked would anyone like their picture taken a lady clearly told me she didn't want to be filmed, while a male said "I'll film you". My own two cents on the high ISO theory is pretty simple, ISO lets you shoot incredibly fast and spirits tend to show up more clearly when a faster shutter speed is used. You would assume that a long exposure would mean a higher chance in catching the spirits but they move so fast that you would actually miss them. I believe the guy, I think he had the right location and the right settings. One of the main explanations sceptics would jump to (apart from the obvious photoshop) would be a long exposure capturing people walking through the frame but I know by looking at those street lights that he didn't have the shutter open long enough to get that effect. I'd love to see the RAW myself, if real then it's one of the best digital spirit shots I've seen in a long time.
Lisa, the lady who didnt want her picture to be taken, was obviously a Vampire! :eek::D

LisaTiffany

Oh either that or in her death state still and she didn't want any kind of record of that form, but yes lets go with Vampyre :)