Planet of the Dolphins

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Imagine a timeline in which humans didn't evolve, but dolphins did.

Maybe the dolphins would have become an unexpected sentient species?

Do you think that such a specie would need to exist on land, or can a possible advanced civilization evolve underwater? I guess it all depends on what kind of creatures we're talking about, but since dolphins are perfectly made to live and thrive underwater, I'm wondering if they might have been able to evolve enough in the right direction to become a sentient and advanced species, underwater? Or they absolutely need to exist on land in order to technologically evolve?

Since the title of this discussion is reminiscent of the classic movie Planet of the Apes, I'll ask the following: Do you think that in a distant future after which mankind's civilization will basically self-destruct with nuclear its own weapons, dolphins might suddenly evolve, emerge and take control of the Earth, like the apes did in the movie? Crazy right? But yes, dolphins are intelligent animals, so why the hell not?

Itheblaze

Grape Ape will rule the land while the Amazing Octopus will subdue the sea. Octopuses pack poison. A bite from a small, blue-ringed octopus can paralyze an adult human in minutes. They have been observed using coconut shells as portable armor and shelter. They can open child-proof pill bottles. Zolof anyone? An octopus can change the color of its entire body in just 3/10th of a second to disappear into the underwater scenery. A common octopus has 240 suckers on each arm and can hold up to 35lbs. Want a hug? And if they build a Water Waffle House you won't find a better short-order cook. Flipper will be the entertainment. Dolphins will be dressed in shell necklaces and ridden like horses.