Red States Blue States

dissdnt

Red States Blue States

I remeber reading John talking about checking the map, about red states and blue states.. well check out this article that came out today about further details into Usama Bin Ladens newly released video. (By the way, for some reason, and i still dont know why, the real spelling is Usama, the code in the gov for him is UBL, but it's rare i see it in the media, who knows why)

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/33124.htm

November 1, 2004 -- WASHINGTON - Osama bin Laden warned in his October Surprise video that he will be closely monitoring the state-by-state election returns in tomorrow's presidential race — and will spare any state that votes against President Bush from being attacked, according to a new analysis of his statement.

Judge Bean

Red States Blue States

That is certainly one way to interpret his odd remarks about the "States," and the ones he says will have less to fear depending upon how they vote. But he has left his "message" hopelessly opaque.

On a basic level, he has no place in the discourse. He has no right to submit his opinion on the issue of the American election, and it should not even be taken with a grain of salt. Mind you, I'm not saying he has no right to an opinion, although I cannot imagine what he wants with one: opinions are not his choice of weapon.

You simply cannot discern what side he's on, and it doesn't matter anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the sides are the opposing sides of the Law and Crime. Karl Rove, Ashcroft, and Cheney are outlaws on the side of Crime. Bin Laden is so far out of the loop that he isn't even an outlaw, but rather a kind of stiff or archetype. He is an allegorical figure meant to stand still and represent Evil. Big deal. There were scarier figures running around last night, none of them over four feet tall.

Darkwolf

Red States Blue States

I'm not saying he has no right to an opinion, although I cannot imagine what he wants with one: opinions are not his choice of weapon.

Beacause he needs to be continuing to draw breath to have an opinion, he does not.

Judge Bean

Red States Blue States

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Nov 1 2004, 07:38 PM
That is certainly one way to interpret his odd remarks about the \"States,\" and the ones he says will have less to fear depending upon how they vote. But he has left his \"message\" hopelessly opaque.

On a basic level, he has no place in the discourse. He has no right to submit his opinion on the issue of the American election, and it should not even be taken with a grain of salt. Mind you, I'm not saying he has no right to an opinion, although I cannot imagine what he wants with one: opinions are not his choice of weapon.

You simply cannot discern what side he's on, and it doesn't matter anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the sides are the opposing sides of the Law and Crime. Karl Rove, Ashcroft, and Cheney are outlaws on the side of Crime. Bin Laden is so far out of the loop that he isn't even an outlaw, but rather a kind of stiff or archetype. He is an allegorical figure meant to stand still and represent Evil. Big deal. There were scarier figures running around last night, none of them over four feet tall.

The gangsters win again.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Red States Blue States

I didn't write this, but a member of another forum I visit occasionally wrote it. I'm posting it here as well as I think it's a great post, and in case the link fails to work some time in the future. Here it is:

Hold it right there. I've said this many times before, and no one seems to really listen. So, again; The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy. The US is NOT a democracy.

The word 'democracy' is not even mentioned in our constitution. The founding fathers had no misconceptions of what they were doing when they set up the electoral college. They knew that democracy is a bad, BAD thing. It was tried back in Greece a long time ago. It didn't turn out too well. So the founding fathers set up an electoral representative republic. So, the people vote for the people who vote for the president.

It's actually not that bad of a concept, except that somewhere it got twisted around. The whole idea was to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things, by removing the vote from their hands. But all this 'get out the vote' bullshit caused some problems. Now the stupid people can force the vote in any direction they want.

Another fun thing people don't talk about too much is the fact that, depending on the gross population of your state, your vote 'weighs' more or less than that of another state. Since all the states have diferent rules as to number of people/representative (and therefore /electoral votes) your voting can be more or less futile.

This, along with the fact that the candidates I had to choose from were two douchebags and a fu***ng psycho that not even the Green Party will alfiliate itself with anymore, led to my conscious decision to NOT vote.

It's really not quite voter apathy, I just don't think either man deserves to be in office, and I've begun to loathe the two party system we have.

I mean, really, Germany has like 7 major parties. That means when an election comes up, you get at LEAST 7 candidates to choose from. 7!!! Isn't that cool! I could see it now. I'd be all like, \"Himmler's Deutche Reinigung policy is rather interesting sounding. But I like the tax plan Brummel's espousing. So I'll probably vote for Brummel, unless Schiller, Heifitz, Weber, Berg, or Schoenberg comes up with something.\"

My decision to not vote has been called wasteful and irresponsible. It's hard to care about such things when you know that your vote gets filtered into a percentage, and a percentage of a percentage at that. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I'm tired. I'm tired of hearing about these two idiots who aren't that different. I'm tired of hearing about the war in Iraq. I'm tired of waking up and driving to work and noting the fact that even the discount gas stations are at $2 for a gallon of regular unleaded. I just wish we could go back to a simpler time. Like 1944, where things were simple. We had us and our communist allies, and then there were the Japs and the Jerries. And we had a crippled dude in office. So much simpler...

Oh! And here's a statistical breakdown of the vote.
-------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.blackout.com/blackout/cgi-bin/u...=1;t=001619;p=1

Cornelia

Red States Blue States

Friends,
there's no way out. EU has multiparties for the most countries, and it doesn't work as well. Like, you can choose what party you vote (which is great), but those parties have to make an agreement in order to get the majority of parliament and rule the country.
So, what you get at the end is an agreement among those damned central parties, and the countries is ALWAYS ruled by the same three-four parties election after election, while the Pres can be choosen from a party which got 2% in the elections!
Also, a party with 2% can hold the whole govt in its hands, menacing a crisis if they don't do what they want (this is happening in my country right now: a party with 2% is forcing the govt to change the Constitution or they will cause a crisis and the govt will fall).

The two-parties system is also bad, because in order to get votes everybody keeps promising the same things and there's no more difference.

Throw in all this the media power, and you easily conclude that democracy is over worldwide.

Judge Bean

Red States Blue States

Originally posted by Unintentional+Nov 4 2004, 03:43 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Paul J. Lyon@Nov 3 2004, 01:11 PM
The gangsters win again.

Couldn't that also have been said if Kerry won?
[snapback]13989[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

No. In that case, I would have said "The gangsters pretend to lose again."