Reddit in AI content licensing deal with Google

Paranormalis

Think outside the mind
SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Social media platform Reddit has struck a deal with Google (GOOGL.O), opens new tab to make its content available for training the search engine giant's artificial intelligence models, three people familiar with the matter said.

The contract with Alphabet-owned Google is worth about $60 million per year, according to one of the sources.

The deal underscores how Reddit, which is preparing for a high-profile stock market launch, is seeking to generate new revenue amid fierce competition for advertising dollars from the likes of TikTok and Meta Platform's (META.O), opens new tab Facebook.

1708607546091.png

The sources were not authorized to speak to media and declined to be identified.

Reddit and Google declined to comment.

Bloomberg previously reported Reddit's content deal without naming the buyer.

Last year, Reddit said it would charge companies for access to its application programming interface (API) - the means by which it distributes its content. The agreement with Google is its first reported deal with a big AI company.

San Francisco-based Reddit, which has been looking at a stock float for more than three years, is preparing to make its initial public offering filing this week, which would detail its financials for the first time to potential IPO investors.

The filing could be available as early as Thursday, two of the sources said.

The company, which was valued at about $10 billion in a funding round in 2021, is seeking to sell about 10% of its shares in the offering, Reuters has previously reported.

Keep reading:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I wonder how the most hardcore Reddit users will take it. They likely won't like it.

I have to assume that Reddit is going to give the users the choice to have their data shared or not... Right? If not, it's a pretty ballsy move on their part. Not very considerate of their user base...

MODAT7

They won't like it. Users just got their private data sold for $60M, and they won't see a lick of that money.

On the flip side, the Google AI platforms will suddenly become very confrontational.

I've seen many web sites go public. There's a lot of hype with the stock, it goes up for a bit and then TANKS. Sometimes the better companies will come back after a couple years, but the rest stay tanked. Those at the top will be made millionaires and cash out. Those at the bottom will get screwed. If anyone is looking to lose hard earned money, this would be a great investment.

After Reddit goes public, they will be more responsible to the share holders than their users. This rarely ends well. Reddit is just another multi-topic forum that got popular (with a lousy interface). It wouldn't be that hard to shift to another forum. We are now witnessing the downfall of Reddit.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I think this is definitely going to slow down Reddit's growth quite a bit. I'd certainly think twice before starting a new community there. They're all about the money now... That's not cool.

I love Reddit and visit it daily. I won't stop because of that. But still, it's not very respectful of their users, not at all...