Spirituality and draftsmanship

Heinrich Hundekok

Spirituality and draftsmanship

Now, some of you may already know that I'm pretty sceptic about anything having to do with words like "astral", "spiritual" and the like. In spite of this dislike of the supernatural, I have been following some of the discussions with some interest - mostly to get a cheap giggle when bored! :p No, honestly I have been trying to figure out what the heck's going on in your minds. And today I stumbled across a clue.

In this thread: http://www.timetravelforum.net/showthread.php?t=1651

Smartbomb said:

...Try to clear your mind first then focus, block out anything irrelevant that pops in your head. I like thinking of a white piece of paper with nothing on it.

I reckognized this at once. I've actually used the exact same technique lots of times, only in an entirely different and far more down-to-earth contex.

I've been drawing for years, and already back in public scool I read some books by professor Betty Edwards on drawing. Basically they're simply books about learning how to become a draftsman. But in contradiction to, I guess, all other books on that subject, they focus on the draftsman's state of mind. Sounds odd? Well, it isn't.
Basically, what Betty Edwards do is working with two different states-o-mind, which can roughly be described like this:

1. Left half of the brain is dominant. Most common in our society. The L half is good at logic, math, symbols and so on. This brain half thinks linear - in steps or sequences (like a computer). This half is poor at drawing.

2. Right half of the brain is dominant. Lesser common in our society. The R half is good at processing visual impressions and handling vast amount of sensory data. This brain half is non-linear, ie. the equivalent of broad-band, it does not work in steps, it works instantaneously. This half is good at drawing.

Since we live in a world that values the ability to work with logic and symbols pretty high, the left brain-half is dominant just about all the time. In order to be able to draw (hereby I mean "copy exactly what you see down on paper", not sketching cartoons and the like) you need to flip state-o-mind, so the right brain-half is dominant. No hogus-bogus here, I've done this many times, and so has many other draftsmen and artists. Nothing supernatural about it, it's a technique.

Now here comes: I usually do this by looking very hard at something, say the piece of white, empty paper that I intend to draw something on. I think Betty Edwards advises this in her books too. I just look very concentrated at the fine grains in the paper - it's really hard to start with, because the dominant left half works with fast recognition of our surroundings as "symbols"; once it's recognized the white field in my vision as the symbol "a sheet of paper" it grows impatient. It gets hard to concentrate on looking at the paper.

It is due to this symbol-based way of working that the L half is so poor at drawing. For example: Everyone knows how a bicycle looks like. We can imagine quite clearly how it looks like in our minds. But try to draw one! It's nearly impossible. Because all that is there is a "symbol" that your L half brain uses as reference. There's no detail, it's just an "image-word", so to speak.

But if you stress your left half enough, your brain flips. Then your right half is dominant, and suddenly it's an entirely different world! You see and experience your surroundings with much greater detail than normally. Everything is much more clear and "real". The sense of time also dissapears. Things happen in a sort of "slow-motion". It's hard to explain, but it's a great experience.

In this state of mind you will find it much easier to see details (and draw them on paper), and this is Betty Edward's main point.

But... This whole state-o-mind flipping also clearly resembles things like meditation and "astrality" or "spirituality". You experience the world differently and much more clearly, except there's nothing supernatural about it, it's plane psychology - but still quite amazing, though! I think this effect accounts for many of the so-called "spiritual" experiences that people have today. Most people are unaware of the brains capability to flip over, and they interpret it as something supernatural. No wonder - It's a great feeling! But none the less quite natural, actually.

Tell me what you think.

Reference: http://www.drawright.com/

H.H.

darkbreed

Re: Spirituality and draftsmanship

Nice try, but that certainly doesnt explain it all. Specially not when it comes to astral projection / out of body experiences. How could this explain that you can go out of body and witness something going on elsewhere and when you check it later it turns out to be the way you saw? Or what about astral projection together with one or more other persons, and after "returning" all the involved had the same experience? Or meeting astral entities that teach you things that turn out to be true? Even meeting spirits of the dead of people you don't know, but also getting things they tell you to be verified later?

There's of course also tons of other spiritual/psychic/metaphysical subjects your theory doesn't explain such as telepathy, telekinesis, healing, etc. Or a great number of other supernatural subjects

However, your theory probably could explain some cases of what you try to explain with it.

Heinrich Hundekok

Darkbreed,

Are you trying to pick a fight with me over this subject? Or would you rather accept my post as a reached out hand, or perhaps even as a pathway - although a narrow and fragile one - between your point of view and mine?

I would very much like to discuss this with you, and I must admit that you are one of the people that I've paid special attention to - no matter how much we may disagree.

H.H.

StarLord

Darkbreed,
When you think about it, it could possibly be one of the first steps towards OBE or Astral Travel. Not all of us are the same. Each of us requires something different. Many times you may see two people arguing about the exact same thing, the only difference is the concepts used... Eh?

Heinrich, you could be very well on your way to experiencing OBE. You have experienced a 'altered' state of consciousness. Try to get very comfortable with this state and try to cultivate the 'FEELING' of being there. OBE is very much like playing with a blank paper, however what does the 'drawing' is your INTENT and your VISUALIZATION. you need to add those two keys into the process. Just don't push, don't force anything.

Always remember, the door to Soul opens inwardly, the harder you push, that door closes tighter.

darkbreed

No I am far from trying to start any fights, but discussions are fine. But, in my opinion, its always better to talk about something you have experienced than something you have not. So my reccomandation is that you try to get involved with the matters mentioned here, try to get to experience it and see what its like, and then come with theories about it. There are many excersices and such one could try out to experience such things, and if you want to know more about it I could reccommand you several books and sites with information about it.

Your above post is completely fine , as I said, it can explain many cases, but not all. The only reason I can say this, is because I know from sure from personal experience with this matter. Its however still a good theory, when it comes to the cases it can explain. I accept your theory for those cases, and I find it very likely to be that way myself. I am just trying to give my own opinion just like you did, regarding the cases I believe your theory can NOT explain.

darkbreed

Yes, I was just about to make a post for you saying that I agree, it most certainly could be the "kick start" needed. But ultimately, that is still up to H. H. himself. Though, some people start experiencing OBE's without even trying, just because they have read about it and their subconciouss seem to accept it and let it happen for them

I used to be a skeptic myself in this matter, but I decided to give it a try, it didnt seem to be anything I could lose trying it. And what do you know, it worked out :)

Heinrich Hundekok

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"darkbreed\")</div>
...in my opinion, its always better to talk about something you have experienced than something you have not. So my reccomandation is that you try to get involved with the matters mentioned here, try to get to experience it and see what its like, and then come with theories about it.

Your above post is completely fine , as I said, it can explain many cases, but not all. The only reason I can say this, is because I know from sure from personal experience with this matter.
[/b]
Fair enough. That's a good start. I'd pretty much expect the same thing if some crackpot wiseass came up and started telling me about blacksmithing or ironmaking (which I have years and years of experience with.)

I just want to make things clear... You seem to assume that I've never experienced anything paranormal? But in fact, the sole reason that I'd even start a discussion of this topic - and thereby trying to perhaps even learn something - is that I just might actually have experienced something that pretty much indisputable fits somewhere in the "paranormal" area. Ok? We're not entirely enemies here! :)

I just want to take things one step at a time. Just because I've had one paranormal experience doesn't mean I'm willing to believe that the whole rest of the spectrum's for real as well. It seems to me that a lot of "believers" take for granted that everything's just possible; crystal magic, reinkarnation, UFO's, ghosts - the whole lot! Well I don't.

But I'll share my sole experience with you (scary ghost story!) if you want to hear it. Maby you can make something off it that I can't.

H.H.

BubbuClinton

Darkbreed,

Do you consider Astral Projection the same as Remote Viewing? Or is there a difference? Also have you seen the works of Paul H. Smith or Ed Dames on remote viewing? They claim to have been part of a CIA backed research group to do remote viewing during the Cold War. I have tried some of their techniques but could never do it. I don't think I can clear my mind enough, there is always something strange going on in there.

Bubbu

PyRo99

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Heinrich Hundekok\")</div>
Fair enough. That's a good start. I'd pretty much expect the same thing if some crackpot wiseass came up and started telling me about blacksmithing or ironmaking (which I have years and years of experience with.)

I just want to make things clear... You seem to assume that I've never experienced anything paranormal? But in fact, the sole reason that I'd even start a discussion of this topic - and thereby trying to perhaps even learn something - is that I just might actually have experienced something that pretty much indisputable fits somewhere in the \"paranormal\" area. Ok? We're not entirely enemies here! :)

I just want to take things one step at a time. Just because I've had one paranormal experience doesn't mean I'm willing to believe that the whole rest of the spectrum's for real as well. It seems to me that a lot of \"believers\" take for granted that everything's just possible; crystal magic, reinkarnation, UFO's, ghosts - the whole lot! Well I don't.

But I'll share my sole experience with you (scary ghost story!) if you want to hear it. Maby you can make something off it that I can't.

H.H.[/b]

You should've seen my early days of Spiritual Awakening. I saw so much Paranormal, that didn't fit into the societical views. Thats what personally drew me into opening.

Also, Star since i haven't astraled in awhile, and when I say awhile...been almost 9 months...:( Are there certain temples over their used for learning, in a timelessness state?