Strange MOONy

Alpha and 0mega

Strange MOONy

Alrite,one question troubles me.
Why does the moon revolve around the earth instead of the sun?we all know that all the planets in the solar system revolve around the sun,but why can't the moon be one of those planets?
After some time i thought of an explanation,allow me to write it down in this thread to show u.

The answer is...,the moon is revolving around the sun not the earth!
the moon is revolving around the sun in a special manner.the unique path of the moon revolving around the sun is shown below in the frist file attachments.Many may ask,what created this path?well basically,when the solar system is frist form,the moon is form to closely to the earth,thus it is affected by the gravitational energy of the earth and the sun.why do i say that the moon is not revolving around the earth?well look at the frist file attachment,the moon doesn really make a complete circular path around the earth,instead it path is something that look like a coil.
i have also another better illustration and proof to show u that indeed the moon is revolving around the sun.look at the second file attachment,in this illustration,we take it that the moon take one year to revolve around the earth,so as we can see,the moon seems to have its own path around the sun,at the same time it seems to revolve around the earth.
So i suppose i have manage to convince u that the moon is revolving around the sun not the earth.:)Any questions about it pls bother to ask and i thank u for reading my thread.

BY the way the picture i draw really sucks,but pls bear with it.

Strangevisitor

Re: Strange MOONy

That's what my astronomy teacher told us too. That the moon is actually revolving around the sun.

Harte

The moon formed from a catastrophic meteor impact that left the entire surface of the Earth in a molten state. Even part of the Earth's core was torn out.

Harte

thenumbersix

so, effectively the moon is the earth, just.. detachted slightly ! and a few extra bits of meteor thrown in.

But, I see the point you are making, the main energies involved in it's orbit need to have the sun considered as much, if not more than the earth, when considering the moons' orbit, yes ?

Can't see the piccies, what's with the lack of permission, is there something I haven't done ? Is the same with all attached pictures..

Alpha and 0mega

R u sure bout this theory ,harte?I never heard this theory of the moon begin part of the earth before.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
The moon formed from a catastrophic meteor impact that left the entire surface of the Earth in a molten state. Even part of the Earth's core was torn out.

Harte[/b]

thenumbersix

Have also heard this. Is speculated that during the formation of the Solar System. At some point soon after the formation of the Earth a large body smashed into the Earth and the result was the moon. I thought it was a 'generally accepted' theory.

5 Theories

I think the main pointer has to be the fact that the moon doesn't rotate on it's own axis but is rotating on the Earths' axis, doesn't this suggest it has ha some serious interaction with the Earth at some point in the past ?

Strangevisitor

I've heard about the theory that the moon is a piece of the Earth. I've also heard about something crashing into the Earth when it was forming. According to this theory it was another planet, Orpheus (I think), it was the about the size of Mars and was in between Earth and Mars. For some reason it left it's orbit and hit Earth and some of Earth is Orpheus and some of the Moon is Orpheus and Earth.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"thenumbersix\")</div>
..l.I think the main pointer has to be the fact that the moon doesn't rotate on it's own axis but is rotating on the Earths' axis, doesn't this suggest it has ha some serious interaction with the Earth at some point in the past ?[/b]

TN6,
The moon does rotate about it's axis. It makes one rotation every lunar month. Otherwise, we would not see the same face of the moon all the time.

The moon is leaving the Earth's orbit at the rate of something like one-half inch per year (or maybe it's 1-1/2 ipy.)

The moon likely had a greater rotation rate earlier in it's life but the rotation has been slowed by tidal forces until it locked into the current rotation, which is really just a function of it's orbit. For example, put a chair in the middle of the room and say it is the Earth. You be the moon. Notice the area of the room behind the chair as you look at it. Walk (orbit) around the chair, never turning your body from the chair. When you get halfway around the chair you will see that you are looking at the opposite end of the room than previously.

A very interesting thing about the Earth-Moon system involves the precession of the Earth's poles. Precession is the small circular movement of the Earth's axis made over a long period of time that can cause climate change and causes the axis to align with different stars (or none) than Polaris 9the North Star). Precession has been witnessed by anyone that has ever spun any kind of top. You will remember that the top may spin perfectly for a while, but eventually precession will set in and you will see the top begin to make small circles while it spins. It has been shown mathematically that the Moon stabilizes the precession of the Earth so that precession remains constant. Without the stabilizing effect that the Moon provides, intead of the 10 or 15 degree precession we now enjoy, the Earth's precession would vary wildly, even as much as ninety degrees. A ninety degree precession means one pole or the other would be constantly facing the sun, with no nightfall at all, while the opposite pole would be in constant darkness. Additionally, the precession and the time periods between minimums and maximums would be variable, so there would be no "getting used to it" for us or any other life form on Earth. Imagine the effect on weather. It is unlikely that we could survive.

Harte

thenumbersix

I guess that its' axis is the point at the centre of the Earth, around this it does rotate, just to avoid any confusion...

Does the moon follow this precession or does it change position relative to us ? This would add a lot of weight to the arguement that the moon was partly made from the Earth at an earlier stage if it does....