Super Volcano on Discover Channel.

StarLord

Re: Super Volcano on Discover Channel.

Well, you have to admit, it's better than not showing anything at all. Too much information and it typically puts people to sleep.

Heinrich Hundekok

No :)

The problem is caused by lack of engagement and patience among common viewers, not by exhaustive amounts of knowledge beeing crammed into tv-shows.

H.H.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Heinrich Hundekok\")</div>
Come ON, people! What substantial KNOWLEDGE is there in any of the Discovery-channel programs? The channel presents itself as a scientific forum - a place to learn new stuff. But most of it is just pretty levelled entertainment with a scientific plot...[/b]

HH,
Have you actually seen this show yet? It was mostly drama and I thought that part was a little unbelievable. You don't go around coughing out rock ash and live three years to return to the scene of the crime, for example.
But at the end was about 45 min. of very informative video about yellowstone and how calderas form and erupt. It wasn't really anything new to me though. I heard about the Yellowstone caldera years ago. Did't know it had only erupted three times though.

There was an interesting part about continental drift showing how the crust moves over the plastic surface of the mantle and doesn't actually "float" on the magma interior. This means the melted out portion of mantle where the caldera came up is moving to the east (actually the crustal plate is drifting west.) I hadn't ever really thought of the crust sliding on a semi solid surface of the mantel before. I was informed.

This movement of the crust will put the caldera under several miles of mountain eventually. So it cannot be said with certainty that there will be any eruption in the future.

...John Titor, wheigh in here PLEASE! Your wisdom is needed!
H.H. [/b]

Dude,
If you think Titor has any wisdom whatsoever then perhaps you need to watch more Discovery Channel programming.

Heinrich Hundekok

Harte,

As mentioned above, my attack wasn't directed towards the volcanoe-show, but towards the general adding of action/special effect to scientific shows. As stated too, I haven't seen the volcanoe-show yet, just the trailer available through the link (which by the way confirmed my worst suspicions).

I'm not saying that it's impossible to be informed through - in this case - the Discovery channel. I mean, that's why I started watching it in the first place... Because I felt I could learn something, because my curiosity and imagination were stimulated. I'm just dissapointed with the way it's been developing, thats all...

I like good scientific programs. I like good sci-fi and action. I just don't like it mixed up. It's like saying: "Herring tastes nice! Custard tastes nice! Ergo..." *yuck!*
Anyway... Now I look forward to seeing the volcanoe-show thanks to your reply.

And by the way... regarding all that John Titor stuff....
I don't believe him to be a time traveler - but I find him intelligent and witty.
My calling upon him was ment as an amusing example of irony, nothing more...

H.H.

Tenshi

There was a two-part drama on BBC1 a few weeks ago called "Supervolcano." It was a British programme, but was set on the site of the world's most famous supervolcano, Yellowstone Park.

It was about a group of Yellowstone seismologists who daily monitor the volcanic activity of Yellowstone, and at the end of the first part, the whole supervolcano erupted, and ash rained down as far away as New York City. The authorities tried to evacuate the whole of Wyoming but were too late.

Harte

And by the way... regarding all that John Titor stuff....
I don't believe him to be a time traveler - but I find him intelligent and witty.
My calling upon him was ment as an amusing example of irony, nothing more...

H.H.[/b]

HH,
This last part here is a great relief to me.
Harte:grin:

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
HH,

Dude,
If you think Titor has any wisdom whatsoever then perhaps you need to watch more Discovery Channel programming.[/b]

Harte, you are leading the witness. Heinrich would have better luck watching the Disney Channel regarding titor

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Tenshi\")</div>
There was a two-part drama on BBC1 a few weeks ago called \"Supervolcano.\" It was a British programme, but was set on the site of the world's most famous supervolcano, Yellowstone Park.

It was about a group of Yellowstone seismologists who daily monitor the volcanic activity of Yellowstone, and at the end of the first part, the whole supervolcano erupted, and ash rained down as far away as New York City. The authorities tried to evacuate the whole of Wyoming but were too late.[/b]

That was a 'British' Programme? I don't recall any of the actors except the Main Volcano expert's wife being British. In fact he sent her home (England) prior to it going off.(the caldera under Yellowstone Park)

XDrFirefly

Ok, lets see. The normal, everyday person wouldn't bother watching a show about some volcano. Think about it. The normal person need simulation to learn. Also, the normal person only reacts to Extremes. So what do we do, we name things SUPER, WORLD ENDING.... now i have you attention. the normal person is stupid. yes, stupid!!!!

I just don't understand why some ppl think science should be blah. If we can use the special effects of movies use them. Who wants to hear a story about how yellowstone will just stay the same way for the next 100,000 years. Oh tell me about the rock structure. Oh, Oh tell me about me why it look like an alien planet. (ok maybe that one people may like, but why cause I said alien....)

Alot of people complain about not knowing something, so what does the discovery channel do, it comes up with an idea to suck people in. Oh that show was good, maybe we should watch more. Forget Jerry Springer, I'd like to see a tornado ripe apart a house.

Anyways, I didn't start this post to complain about fact vs fiction. I wanted to talk about people ideas about Yellowstone volcano. What facts have you seen? Do you think it will happen soon? Did you learn anything??

Dr FF

Heinrich Hundekok

Dr FF,

Well, ok. Let's just drop the issue and move on. I don't really want to get into a fistfight anyway, so let's just settle here.

You know where I stand. I know where you stand.

Happy studying. :)

H.H.