Temporal Forces

Jean-Jacques Mass

Temporal Forces

Hello, my name is Jean-Jacques, although most people call me Jacques. I am new here, and I must apologize if my English is less than perfect; I am still learning.

Time's behavior is more indicative of a force rather than a dimension. Temporal paradoxes are often cited as reasons that time travel to the past will never be possible. Suggestions such as parallel realities have been used to explain away these paradoxes, but overlooked is the fact that by the laws of nature there must be something preventing these paradoxes - either by forcing time travelers and their consequences into parallel realities or by preventing time travel tot he past altogether.

This indicated either a) time itself is a force, or B) there are as of yet undiscovered temporal forces keeping the integrity of the causal chain. Might there not also be a force making time to move forward, as it appears to do?

Clearly time is more complicated than it seems at first glance. Why are there so few scientific organizations in place to study it? Why is it not a matter of more study? It seems to have been relegated to the realm of the paranormal and out of scrutinizing light. I joined here because there seems to be more intelligent discussion on the topic than in most boards that claim to be studying time. Even here, however, there are numerous implications that time is somehow equal in reputability as UFO's, ghosts, and religion. Not that any of these things are wrong per se, but they are certainly not respected or given any credibility.

Why are there so few temporal studies? Why is there no major temporal science? Da Vinci would be furious.

Fringan

Temporal Forces

Hello Jean-Jacques and welcome!

It is the common belief that for time traveling to be possible at all there would have to be multiple dimesions/timelines/realities/universes. The way I see it there would even have to be an infinite number timelines.

You raise an interesting question, one I have been thinking about to. I might have a clue why there are no institutions for time. Each university around the world has its doctors and professors who most of them try to come up with new ideas and/or theories (probably to win the nobel price :) ). However the majority of ideas are based on older ideas and so it must be easier comming up with something in the near region of what we already know.

Perhaps the scientific world works after what could be thought of as a list of things to discover. Take the wheel as an example: Rolling something heavy on some stems -> make a wheel -> bicycle -> motorcycle -> automobile. It would probably be alot harder inventing those things the other way around.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps we need to understand some simpler things before we can even grasp how time works and what it is. I'm however hoping for another Vinci-, Einstein- or Bohr-like person to leap a few steps ahead and just figure time out. What an amazing accomplishment it would be!

There are a couple of dicussions on this very board about time. My guess is time is a curvage of the spacetime curvage :) I can't explain it mathematically but since time should be infinitly small and infinitly large it should be its own dimension. I like to suggest someone to divide a second in half, then devide that half second, then divide that quarter second and keep on going. When does he reach the "atom" of time? the smallest, undividable time unit. I don't think there is one.

I'm going to go onto google when I get the time and look for some universities with professors who actually do study time and see what I can dig up on what we know today.

Again, welcome to our community!

Jean-Jacques Mass

Temporal Forces

Thank you Fringan for the welcome.

I understand what you say about time being a largely unexplored aspect of the universe, but in the same way that Quantum Physics changed the way we saw the physical universe, and became an object of credible scrutiny, why are current temporal theories not warranting further investigation?

The study of time, I think, could encompass discovering the fundamentals you mentioned, some of which we already have. Perhaps we are experiencing the same resistance to temporal studies as was experienced when Quantum Theory was first being developed?

John

Temporal Forces

Jacques,
I forgot to welcome you in the other thread. Welcome to the community. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Temporal Forces

Welcome Jean-Jacques Mass? :)

Is it okay if I just call you JJM? I'll never be able to find the E with the little thing on top. I've enjoyed reading your posts -- You're one smart guy. Glad to have you around and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

CaryP

Temporal Forces

Jean-Jaques,

Bienvenue a la plantation. Apprecier votre sejour ici. My very limited French. I hope it came out well. Sorry for the lack of accents where appropriate. The English keyboards just don't have them. Good to see some French influence here. My heritage is 3/4's French. Very impressive posts. You and Fringan and some of the other scientific minded members should have some great discussions.

Cary

Jean-Jacques Mass

Temporal Forces

Heggy, JJM will suffice, or just Jean or Jacques if you don't want to hold down the shift key. Thank you for your compliments, I look forward to reading more of you as well. You ask the questions that need to be asked, and I admire that.