The Butterfly Effect in Full Consideration

WhereIsMyMind

Imagine a photon, a particle of light. If you were to send that back in time to an hour before you were conceived would it effect anything? Could that single light particle prevent your conception? If you think about it every particle is effected by their interaction with their surrounding particles and energy levels. Now imagine all the changes it could effect in an hour unbeknownst to the conscious observers. The idea of fixing broken time lines is ludicrous and mathematically impossible. As you would need a machine more complex than all the particles states and energy levels in the universe to pull it off. This is why time travel timeline maintenance in media and stories bugs me to no end. Okay..... Rant over.

You go back in time. You can kiss almost everything you knew after that time goodbye. Societal progressions and trends might be similar at the start. But within a reasonably short amount of time you will live in a completely different world.

Apri1

From experience I find the butterfly effect to be false. Despite timelines differing quite drastically for some things (events of death, historic events, landmass locations), most things are amazingly relatively untouched. It's absolutely bizarre. Especially since the butterfly effect makes so much sense.

Just goes to show that experience trumps intuition I guess. But on the second bit you're right. Trying to "undo" something is basically impossible. Best to go to a near identical timeline and just be happy with that.