The Etymology Of "Apocalypse" Means Disclosure/Revelation

Noah_A_S

I thought about posting this a while ago. Here you are.

apocalypse (n.)​

late 14c., "revelation, disclosure," from Church Latin apocalypsis "revelation," from Greek apokalyptein "uncover, disclose, reveal," from apo "off, away from" (see apo-) + kalyptein "to cover, conceal," from PIE root *kel- (1) "to cover, conceal, save." The Christian end-of-the-world story is part of the revelation in John of Patmos' book "Apokalypsis" (a title rendered into English as pocalipsis c. 1050, "Apocalypse" c. 1230, and "Revelation" by Wyclif c. 1380).

Its general sense in Middle English was "insight, vision; hallucination." The meaning "a cataclysmic event" is modern (not in OED 2nd ed., 1989); apocalypticism "belief in an imminent end of the present world" is from 1858. As agent nouns, "author or interpreter of the 'Apocalypse,'" apocalypst (1829), apocalypt (1834), and apocalyptist (1824) have been tried.

etymology-apocalypse-15471p_l.jpg

loneranger91

You are looking at the word apocalypse...the eytmology is just the closest translation to the root of the word ...it can mean many things as shown in the diagram... Disclosure doesnt have to be related to anything being revealed.. Nor does it have to be associated with aliens or ufos..

Noah_A_S

You are looking at the word apocalypse...the eytmology is just the closest translation to the root of the word ...it can mean many things as shown in the diagram... Disclosure doesnt have to be related to anything being revealed.. Nor does it have to be associated with aliens or ufos..
I never said it did.

loneranger91

I never said it did.
I did not say that it did..bible contains footnotes for certain words based on the translation you are reading.. Every verse in the torah has at least 72 interpretations.different versions emphasize different meanings. And only about 60 are correct.apocalypse can have several definitions.. But only one meaning based on the context of where the word is used. In the bible it is described as the worlds end or the setting for armageddon..

loneranger91

Languages like dialects change..so people.in time have also made translations that try to adapt to the way english has changed..you can. Say the same for the bible as there are several translations available