The Final Theory

Snow

The Final Theory

Sure I do and I will try after I've read it and IF I can get my pea brain around it!

:D'oh:

SFW

DadOf5

The Final Theory

Originally posted by Snow Fire Watches@Jul 12 2004, 11:47 AM
Sure I do and I will try after I've read it and IF I can get my pea brain around it!

:D'oh:

SFW

My sentiments, exactly. :lol:

Seriously, this does look like a very interesting book. It appears to be written in terms that even I can understand, and asks many of the same questions I've had but never found a satisfactory answer to.

Thanks for the link, Phoenix :)

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
The Final Theory

Had enough of warped space-time, dark matter, time dilation,
dark energy, quantum mysteries, etc? Free yourself from these
misconceptions and finally understand the simple, common-
sense universe that we inhabit.

*Splutch*

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the quote. :D'oh:

Phoenix

The Final Theory

If anyone is interested in buying this book. I recommend reading this first.
http://homepage.mac.com/ruske/ruske/finaltheory.html
Discussing \"The Final Theory\" with Mark McCutcheon

In July of 2003 I stumbled across an Internet advertisement for a book by Mark McCutcheon titled \"The Final Theory.\" After reading through his website (http://www.thefinaltheory.com), I felt that the author had either come up with some very different perspective on physics, or had crafted some very fine snake oil. I was curious, but couldn't find anything on the web telling me whether the book was really worth US$30.

Well, now I know. The book is another take on an expansion theory. In a nutshell, expansion theory says that the reason gravity is so indistinguishable from an acceleration is because it is acceleration, caused by matter expanding at an ever accelerating rate. There is no gravitational force in expansion theory; it's Einstein's equivalence priniciple taken literally. \"The Final Theory\" starts there, and doesn't end until it tries to rethink much of modern physics.

I won't attempt a full review of the book here. It wouldn't be justified, because I haven't read the thing in its entirety. I gave it up after chapter 3, which attempted to explain orbits in terms of geometric expansion alone (no gravitational force, no curved space, just objects getting bigger and moving past one another at some mystical velocity). I tried to get past chapter 3, and that prompted the lengthy email exchange reproduced below. The exchange was interesting, if not illuminating.

In my opinion, \"The Final Theory\" is broken at its foundation, and demonstrates some curious misunderstandings of standard theory. But Mark McCutcheon's opinion is different, and the other two people on his mailing list seem to agree with him for the most part. So maybe it's just me.

The great advantage of a wildly unconventional theory is that critics can be dismissed as being narrow minded or too infected by conventional thinking. I'm sure those traps do exist, to some extent. It's important to remember, though, that the novelty of an idea does not in itself make it any more correct.

I hope you enjoy the conversation reproduced below, and that it's the sort of information you're looking for. I wish I'd have been able to read this before purchasing the book...
It seems that the book very clearly and detailedly addresses the serious flaws very much in Standard Theory of Science in a manner that is readily understandable to most readers. It also seems that the expansion theory it tries to replace it with is not a viable replacement and another similar approach needs to be taken.

lev

The Final Theory

::.. Thats great! ..::
::.. Where can I get the 'For Dummies' version? ..::

iooqxpooi

The Final Theory

LOL!

Our scientists are conspirators alright...we should have a democratic election to decide who is a scientist, etc.

iooqxpooi

The Final Theory

I have read part of it, and I have concluded that this guy really doesn't know what he is talking about. I agree that ever since Quantum theory has started, we have had 'bad science', but anything before that is fine with me, since it was all classical. Quantum mechanics involves forces that only work in a miniscule world, and have 'virtual' photons, etc.

Ralan

The Final Theory

Ioog; I'm surprised at you for being so close-minded; science needs people who think outside the boundaries, and besides that, you were the first to admit you were 'one in need to be taught physics'.

I notice you posted this before your little fiasco with bonemachine. Surely you noticed that when he complained about the lack of mature understanding in your theories, it was only the same as you saying this person 'really doesn't know what he is talking about'? Despite the fact that Mark McCutcheon did years of in depth research for The Final Theory?

Sorry for the motherly scolding ;) . Just hope you learn that its not nice to downcast someone elses work or ideas, just because of a personal characteristic, be ir age, or scope of imagination.