The Great Sayings by the Famous and not so Famous.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
- John F. Kennedy

A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.
- John F. Kennedy

Samstwitch

"All you need is love."
- John Lennon

"Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant."
- Saint Paul (1Corinthians 13:4)

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
“What I could not support was "a dumb war, a rash war, a war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics".”
― Barack Obama,

“Mainly, though, the Democratic Party has become the party of reaction. In reaction to a war that is ill conceived, we appear suspicious of all military action. In reaction to those who proclaim the market can cure all ills, we resist efforts to use market principles to tackle pressing problems. In reaction to religious overreach, we equate tolerance with secularism, and forfeit the moral language that would help infuse our policies with a larger meaning. We lose elections and hope for the courts to foil Republican plans. We lost the courts and wait for a White House scandal.

And increasingly we feel the need to match the Republican right in stridency and hardball tactics. The accepted wisdom that drives many advocacy groups and Democratic activists these days goes like this: The Republican Party has been able to consistently win elections not by expanding its base but by vilifying Democrats, driving wedges into the electorate, energizing its right wing, and disciplining those who stray from the party line. If the Democrats ever want to get back into power, then they will have to take up the same approach.

...Ultimately, though, I believe any attempt by Democrats to pursue a more sharply partisan and ideological strategy misapprehends the moment we're in. I am convinced that whenever we exaggerate or demonize, oversimplify or overstate our case, we lose. Whenever we dumb down the political debate, we lose. For it's precisely the pursuit of ideological purity, the rigid orthodoxy and the sheer predictability of our current political debate, that keeps us from finding new ways to meet the challenges we face as a country. It's what keeps us locked in "either/or" thinking: the notion that we can have only big government or no government; the assumption that we must either tolerate forty-six million without health insurance or embrace "socialized medicine". It is such doctrinaire thinking and stark partisanship that have turned Americans off of politics. ”
― Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

Samstwitch

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool."
- Stephen King

"The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that's also a hypocrite!"
- Tennessee Williams

Thinking of a non-responsive party in a particular recent politically-related challenge...:rolleyes:

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
“Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.”
― Robert Orben

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly
and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
“The Communist party must control the guns.”
― Mao Tse-tung

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ... Make mass searches and hold executions for found arms.”
― Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Samstwitch

“There has never been any great genius without a spice of madness.”
~ Seneca (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)

“In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.”
~ Oscar Wilde Quotes

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
“The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

“Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.”
― Helen Keller

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
It's Halloween! It's Halloween! The moon is full and bright
And we shall see what can't be seen On any other night.
Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls, Grinning goblins fighting duels
Werewolves rising from their tombs, Witches on their magic brooms
In masks and gown we haunt the street
And knock on doors for trick or treat
Tonight we are the king and queen,
For oh tonight it's Halloween!
-Jack Prelutsky

On Halloween, witches come true;
Wild ghosts escape from dreams.
Each monster dances in the park....
~Nicholas Gordon

As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there/He wasn't there again today...Oh, how I wish he'd go away.
-Anonymous