The Legend Of J.C. Brown

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
The Legend Of J.C. Brown
8 September, 2014

By: Dustin Naef - MessageToEagle.com - ONE of the most fascinating legends of Mount Shasta’s fabled “lost civilization” involves a man named J.C. Brown, a British prospector and geologist who claimed to have stumbled upon the remains of an ancient, underground city in the cascades of northern California during the early nineteenth century.

Brown’s story is probably the most famous of all of California’s weird “lost world” tales, and reads a lot like a JulesVerne adventure story. Like most legends, it’s impossible to retrace Brown’s story in a straight line through history; nobody knows how many times Brown told the story, in how many different saloons, or to whom—like all legends, some of the details change with each re-telling.

legendjcbrown01.jpg

However we do know that a man named J.C. Brown did in fact exist, and at the age of 79, in June of 1934, he showed up in Stockton, California with a captivating story boasting of an underground city, buried treasure, and a mysterious lost “elder race of giants” who ruled over North America in ancient times.

After organizing an intrepid party of explorers to return with him to the weird cave and recover the treasures of the lost race, J.C. Brown mysteriously disappeared and was never seen or heard of again. Some of the following tale is probably true . . .

Here is the tale as it was written up in the newspapers in 1934:

80 STOCKTONIANS LEFT BEHIND IN SEARCH FOR “LOST CONTINENT”

Followers Hold All-Night Vigil for Missing Leader on Trip to Find Weird Cave

Disappearance of “Chief” Leaves Group of Local People Enlisted in Mysterious Mission Pondering Next Step

Surprised Promise Unit Fails to Materialize While Many Hold Nocturnal Watch to Await J.C. Brown’s Return

Eighty Stockon citizens today attempted to piece together reasons for the disappearance of J.C. Brown, 79 year-old geologist, who had promised to lead them to riches hidden by the “lost race of Lemuria.” Police, too, were interested and sought Brown for purposes of questioning.

Brown began organizing a band of followers here six weeks ago after telling a Stockton newspaper man that in 1904 he had discovered a tunnel in the Cascade mountains leading to a cavern filled with relics of an apparently lost race. The newspaper man took Brown to Harry Noyes Pratt, curator of the Haggin Memorial Museum, who gave him a list of people who might be interested in Brown's story.

Among them was John C. Root, retired printer, 1784 North San Joaquin street. Root took Brown into his house and gradually an organization was formed with the purpose of participating in an expedition and exploration of Brown's cavern.

legendjcbrown02.jpg

Image Credit: Dustin Naef. An illustration from the J.C. Brown mystery.

FOLLOWERS TOTAL 80

Meetings were held twice daily and the followers grew to 80 in number. Brown's original story expanded to such an extent that his followers were told, and many believed, that the cavern held the secret to the lost race and continent of Lemuria.

Brown, despite the fact that in the early part of the year he had lived in the Federal Shelter, allegedly told his organization that he was worth 40,000,000 and owned five boats, one of which, a glass-bottomed craft, would arrive here Sunday to take the party north to search for the “lost continent” off the coast of Washington.

GAVE UP POSITIONS

Gradually, as Brown's story expanded, some of his followers report, mysticism, occultism and other isms entered into the organization’s discussions. Some, it is reported, actually gave up positions and disposed of furniture and other belongings so they would be free to accompany Brown on the expedition.
Leaving Root’s home yesterday morning, Brown left word that a surprise awaited his followers if they would gather at the Root home at 1 p.m. People began arrive before noon, and most of them remained until early this morning. Brown failed to return.

legendjcbrown03.jpg

Image Credit: Dustin Naef. Undisclosed location. Standing in front of a collapsed/sealed cave entrance buried by a rock fall.

PROOF DEMANDED

Brown had claimed that he had photographs and other proof of his discovery in a Texas bank. This proof was demanded of him recently by Curator Pratt, and, it is understood, was given to Pratt yesterday or the latter would withdraw from any further dealings in the matter. Some of Brown’s followers today were of the belief that the man manufactured the fantastic story from one of Bullwar-Lytton’s novels. Some, however, clung to the belief that Brown would return and make good on his promise to reveal the “lost city”.

PSYCHIC INFORMATION

Meetings at the Root home had attracted the attention of neighbors, some of whom thought political meetings were in progress. Police, however, began inquiring into the matter when it received a report that a “Silver Shirt” organization was being formed. This report was denied in the Record Saturday by Root, who, however, declined to reveal the purpose of the meetings.
One of the followers, who today still clung to his belief in Brown, said he had "psychic information" that Mr. Brown is all right.

AMNESIA VICTIM

On an index card at the Federal Shelter is listed information that Brown suffered as an amnesia victim in 1932 and that he entertained fears that time to time that he was being followed. He told his followers that, being a millionaire, he feared being kidnapped and therefore appeared incognito. One of the leaders in the organization denied this afternoon that the organization was a religious cult.

“Brown had a most fascinating story and many of those attending the meetings were interested in the study of mysticism and occultism. Unless a person understands or has some knowledge of these matters, he could not understand the meetings,” this leader said.

WHAT'S LEMURIA?

The natural question of the initiated is “What is the lost continent of Lemuria?” After much poring over encyclopedias, one finds that it is a mythical continent believed by scientists to hold the key to a lost civilization.

A well-educated man, Brown achieved what he had been told would be impossible, the organizing of a large party without a semblance of proof for the fantastic story which he used as a lure. What was Brown’s objective? That question today had police as well as his followers, some of them unshaken yet in their faith, pondering.

legendjcbrown040.jpg

Whitney Falls. Image Credit: hikemtshasta.com

NEVER SOUGHT MONEY

So far as police or the writer have been able to discover, Brown never asked for one cent while in Stockton. The only money which he received for any person was $5, given by a friend while the man lived at the federal shelter, so far as could be learned.

The only other question is Brown's mental state. Those with whom he associated assert he is rational, despite a notation on his Federal Shelter record that he was an amnesia victim in 1932 and on three occasions reported that somebody was following and threatening him.

The fear that he had met with foul play was expressed last night among those who waited in Root's home for his return as they gathered in the house, on the front porch and in the back yard awaiting his "surprise".

MASTERS NOT READY

Among those who waited one could count those imbued with the spirit of the seed sown by Brown, that the mysterious excursions aboard a glass-bottomed boat—a story which did not figure in Brown’s original tale—had not been willed by the Indian “masters” to start at this time. Brown had told the time was “near at hand”. Who are the Indian “masters”? They are the master-minds, traced to East Indian mysticism, who ruled Brown's actions, who protected him and who were to tell him when the time was propitious for the start of the expedition.

legendjcbrown05.jpg

Mount Shasta from the summit of North Gate Plug 8,852. Image Credit: hikemtshasta.com/

“It was the will of the masters,” one man said while he sat smoking on the front porch. “If the masters could not protect him, they could not protect us when we got there. We could all be annihilated in five minutes.

“He didn't say where he was going, did he? No. He always went alone. Perhaps he has been kidnapped. He had been once before, you know. He promised us a surprise. Well, it’s here, isn't it? He didn’t return at 1 o'clock.”

Here's Brown's Weird Tale of Lost "Village"

Brown’s original story, as told to a representative of the Record a month and a half ago, probably for the first time in Stockton, minus details concerning his personal history, follows:

“I found this cave while working in the Cascade mountains for the Lord Cowdray Mining Company of England. I noticed a section of rock in the face of a cliff which did not jibe with the formation of the rest of the mass.”

ENTERED TUNNEL

"After removing the rock, I entered a tunnel which curved downward. Three miles from the mouth of the tunnel, which was seven feet wide and 10' foot high, I struck a cross section where this ancient race apparently had mined Copper. “The air in one section was bad. I believe the other cross sections outcropped on some other part of the mountain. The decline

continued, and 11 miles inside the mountain and approximately 2300 feet from the surface I struck what I called “The Village.”

FILLED WITH TABLETS

“Two rooms about 12 by 20 feet were filled with copper and gold tablets, about three by four inches and concave, so that one laid inside the other. The rooms were literally full of these plates, inscribed neatly. Another room contained many weapons. The tempered-copper spears were so that one could bend the head of the weapon to the base of the shaft and it would spring back into place.

STREETS LAID OUT

“Streets were laid out in the village. In one long room were laid at angles to the wall 27 skeletons, the smallest of which was 6 feet 6 inches and the tallest more than 10 feet. In another room lay, apparently embalmed by some secret process, the bodies of a man and a woman, dressed in royal robes, whom I believe were the king and queen of this race.

“The worship room was beautiful to behold. There on the walls were three great crosses not of the conventional modern type, and a sun designed, worked in copper and gold. The streamers from the sun were worked in gold stringers. There were, I believe, 13 statues made of copper and gold.

"LOST RACE"

“I believe this race of people forms an important link in ancient American civilization. They were highly-skilled craftsmen, as their work shows. Because there was a glow to three of these statues, I believe they used radium, and I believe it was with the use of radium that they tempered copper.
“My wish is to enlist a corps of trained people, whom I shall pay well for their services, to assist me in cataloging these specimens. I want the relics in this cave to remain intact. Those in two other caves which I have located may go to those who aid me.

Click on image to enlarge
Mudcreek Canyon. Image Credit: College of Siskiyous.

CLAIMED PICTURES

“In a vault in a Texas bank I have pictures of this scene and papers. You see, my family planned to exploit the cave themselves. My wife's father, my wife, my two daughters and an old college chum. A series of tragedies struck me. First one died, then another; one was killed in an accident and the others died. I was hurt in an accident. I lost all heart in this ambition, but I'm getting back on my feet again and, if my health holds out, I will get started.

“Have you ever studied or read anything about the lost continent of Lemuria? Scientists claim it is the connecting link in the story of civilization. I believe here is the key to that lost continent.” As an epilogue to J.C. Brown’s story, years later, a doctor who was part of Brown’s expedition, wrote,

“I was a curious young man at the time, always interested in occult lore. Anything that smelled of adventure grabbed my interest. Brown’s stories were fascinating. They many have been tall stories about mythical things by an old man looking for companionship. Somehow, over the years, I’ve gained respect for the old man.

I believe he was telling the truth. I don’t know his reasons, but I think he changed his mind at the last minute and decided not to reveal the location of the “lost treasure vault of the Lemurian giants.”

Mudcreek Canyon. Image Credit: College of Siskiyous.

Nobody will ever know what lead J.C. Brown to abandon his expedition. But according to a Basque sheepherder, J.C. Brown died in 1936 and is buried in the Black Desert of Nevada, near the famed Lost Padre Mine. Nobody can say for certain how much truth there is to the J.C. Brown legend, although it remains one of Mount Shasta’s most enduring and popular legends.

The secret entrance into the Lemurian caverns beneath Mount Shasta have never been found. But according to local lore, there are a couple of specific regions on Mount Shasta which may have once (and may still, according to some) contain tunnels or caves entering the mountain: Bolam Canyon, Whitney Falls, and Mud Creek Canyon.

The location of one of these secret entrances comes from Nola Van Valor, a channeler who moved to Mount Shasta in 1963, and founded a spiritual organization known as the Radiant School of Seekers and Servers. Nola’s writings were based on her mystical experiences on the mountain which occurred the 1930’s and later, all of which happened on the McCloud side.

Nola claims that she and her group were up on the mountain around the same time that Guy Ballard met Saint Germain there; and she claims to have been tutored by Ascended Masters Saint Germain, Jesus, Phylos the Thibetan, and others, whom she said taught the Bible as it was originally written.

Image Credit: Dustin Naef. Here I am standing in front of the doors alleged to lead to Telos, beneath Mount Shasta.

Nola stated that she and a group of friends discovered an entrance into Mount Shasta while climbing up the east side of the mountain, around the 12,451 foot level. No date is given beyond a vague reference to the 1930’s and thereafter. She said the location of the entrance was on the right bank side of Mud Creek Canyon.

There was a very large, black, unusual-looking rock formation, and as they were gazing at it, it began to open as if on a pivot. A doorway leading into a cavernous chamber inside the rock yawned open, and a white-robed being emerged and invited them all to come inside. Inside the cavernous chamber was a large marble table with veins of gold threaded through it; the walls were made of polished gold, and soft music was playing.

They all sat down around the table and were given a series of Bible talks by the white-robed being, whom she identified as Phylos the Thibetan, the Lemurian spirit who dictated Frederick Spencer Oliver’s book ‘A Dweller on Two Planets’.
But if anyone’s considering a trip up the mountain to find the secret tunnels, you should know that Mud Creek Canyon, and all the others noted here, have experienced a tumultuous history, and have been subject to continual flooding, mud flows, and cave ins during the time period when many of these Lemurian cavern tales originated (c. 1924–1931). The town of McCloud was especially vulnerable and threatened by the deluge of glacial floods.

“The 1924–1931 Mud Flows”

News of these historical mudflows, the first occurring in 1924, were known and talked about by the local residents, and also made headlines in outside newspapers.
The 1924 September 6th edition of the Stockton Record reported that “boulders float like feathers on mud stream”. By September 18th, 1924, news of the flooding reached the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle:

MOUNT SHASTA CAVE-IN CRUSHES CANYON TOWNS AT BASE OF HILLS FEAR NEW MUD FLOW

Terrific Roar of Collapse Startles Residents for Many Miles

DUST CLOUDS BLINDING

Fear Expressed Damned-Up Waters May Overflow and Inundate Valleys

Dunsmuir, Cal. Sept 18:

Approximately fifteen acres of the top southeastern section of the top of Mount Shasta caved in today, causing the collapse of Mud Creek canyon, which has recently been overflowing with mud and rock. The walls of the canyon for a distance of eight miles crumbled with a terrific road [sic], which was immediately followed by a great cloud of dust and volcanic ash that hung over the mountain for several hours.

According to Karl L. Rigor of McCloud, who witnessed the breaking off of the mountain today from different angles, the aura of dust, smoke and ash that hung over Mount Shasta could be seen a distance of twenty miles.

Similar collapses and flooding have also occurred in Bolam Creek Canyon and Whitney falls over the past century.
So if the fabled entrances to the Lemurian caverns—or any caves located on Mount Shasta at all—ever once existed in Mud Creek canyon, it’s likely that they have long since been buried by a deluge of mud flows from the melting glaciers over the past century, forever concealing any secrets which may have been hidden there . . . Or maybe not . . .

Written by Dustin Naef - MessageToEagle.com Contributor

About the author:
dustinnaef.jpg
Dustin Naef - is an experienced and very talented author who has been writing for MessageToEagle.com since 2011. You can read his articles here.
Dustin has been a student of ancient mysteries and the paranormal for as long as he can remember. He has worked in screenwriting, graphic design and illustration, produced and designed video best-selling games, and is currently involved in the production of a film documentary and book about the mysteries surrounding Mount Shasta, California.

You can contact Dustin at [email protected] .
If you want you can also visit his facebook page or personal website.

Read more: The Legend Of J.C. Brown - MessageToEagle.com

DanVision

Hello Dustin,

How awesome. Mount Shasta! Indeed it is cloaked in mystery. Would like to know more of your progress about your production documentary and book.