The Other Side.

PyRo99

The Other Side.

Explain to me this.

If Mr. Titor's story is supposedly true.

Explain to me why he didn't say why the UK will be in Siberian Temperature come 2020?

Why didn't he describe the changing weather patterns? A Nuclear Holocaust cannot kill Mother Nature.

And if you believe that I am wrong about the UK being in Siberian Temperature in 2020. I'd highly suggest looking it up. Other things change as well. I just can't remeber them.

Lonewolf

The Other Side.

Although I normally don't argue with moderators, *they have a habit of taking things personally*, I have to ask you where you are getting your information about the changing weather patterns from in order to better understand your position.
Like most things on the planet, weather patterns are cyclic in nature with a degree of variance. The cycle of weather and climate that I have read and understand is around 300 years, although when I read about 16th century Brittian, it seems the salt water ocean air surrounding it made it much less suspectable to cold as Siberia.

Of course, I have no expertise in the field.

keylempa

The Other Side.

the salt water air that you speak of is actually the gulf stream current which is quite warm and keeps the UK from being LOTS colder. Unless this nuclear war messes with this current, there is a pretty good chance that the climate there will stay the same (or be slightly cooler because of the dust... just like when Krakatoa(sp?) exploded back in the 1800s ((see "the year without a summer")))

BTW: if you wanna read an interesting book about the ramifications of having no gulf stream, read Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler...

StarLord

The Other Side.

Pyro may be speaking about a "Nuclear Winter" or perhaps where some other debris due to a meteor strike blocking sunlight? Thwere is also speculation about the up coming axis shift which would move the equator and bring about a Ice Age in some areas of the planet.

CaryP

The Other Side.

The Gulf Stream, which as keylampa pointed out, does keep the UK and northern Europe much warmer than it would be normally. The Gulf Stream (salt water) is currently being short circuited by the melting of the North Pole ice cap and glaciers in Greenland. The glaciers and ice are fresh water. When fresh water and salt water meet, the salt water, which is heavier, sinks below the fresh water. So the salt water of the Gulf Stream is sinking as it meets the fresh water coming down from Greenland and the North Pole. The water from the melting glaciers is colder than the Gulf Stream. The Gulf Stream is already starting to fall short of its typical destination. The Pentagon has already written a paper about the global climate change and its implications for massive refugees from northern Europe and the UK, which could become Siberia like in climate if/when the Gulf Stream's warming effects are shut down for the subject area. The Pentagon paper anticipates that this will happen by 2015 or 2020 if something doesn't radically change the current short circuiting of the Gulf Stream. BTW, the Pentagon paper also predicts shortages of natural resources, energy and food. This is predicted to lead to regional and potentially global warfare over food, energy and natural resources. The US would be turned into "fortress USA" closing all borders to foreingers. Peak Oil plays into this same scenario.

Cary

Edit. I was rereading this post and saw that I had written "ice water" where I should have written "salt water". What a dumb ass. So I edited the obvious error and added an extra line of explanation. Sorry for any confusion. CAP

Judge Bean

The Other Side.

Originally posted by PyRo99@Aug 8 2004, 03:09 AM
Explain to me this.

If Mr. Titor's story is supposedly true.

Explain to me why he didn't say why the UK will be in Siberian Temperature come 2020?

Why didn't he describe the changing weather patterns? A Nuclear Holocaust cannot kill Mother Nature.

And if you believe that I am wrong about the UK being in Siberian Temperature in 2020. I'd highly suggest looking it up. Other things change as well. I just can't remeber them.

Anything can happen. The future is in your hands. To hell with Titor.

starwolf

The Other Side.

im with cary on this one... ive seen the data, im convinced that major climate change is closer than you think...

Judge Bean

The Other Side.

Originally posted by starwolf@Aug 13 2004, 06:15 AM
im with cary on this one... ive seen the data, im convinced that major climate change is closer than you think...

Titor has nothing to do with the weather.

The fact that the environment has been wrecked by greed and ignorance is a fact bigger than any single dubious prophet.

StarLord

The Other Side.

Interstingly enough, scientists have confirmed that our local star is nearing it's 1000 year cycle of excessive heat output. I neglected to mention this in my earlier post.