The Speed at Which We Experience Time...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Depending how busy our mind is, or how captivated we are, time will seem to flow at a different speed.

Remember when you're waiting for your last Friday PM class to end back at school? How the last 5 minutes would literally feel like hours. That's a pretty slow pace, right?

Now, when you go see a captivating movie, or have fun with your friends, or even play your all-time favorite video game, hours can sometimes feel like minutes.

We all agree that in both groups of scenarios, time will be experienced at a different speed, a different pace. We also agree that we do not control it.

What if we could control it at will? What would it take to control that part of our brain/mind?

MarvelFan

Especially in winters at night when i feel tired and i go to bed for sleep, then all of a sudden within the next five mins from the time of my sleep (according to me), the morning alarm on my phone starts ringing. Yet if go as per the time on wall clock and mobile, i had already slept for some couple of hours which i feel like 5mins.

Also you have already mentioned about the quickness of time in leisure activities, so i think time passes quickly when are relaxed and brain is free from performing complex tasks. If we figure out a way to make our brain and body free from the activities of the world around us than we can try to focus on time control. As per me the key is somewhere between our consiouseness and when we fall asleep.

TimeFlipper

Interesting question Num7..:)
Personally i dont think this has anything to do with time-travel, if thats what you are trying to imply.:)
To me the perception of time going faster when we are deeply engrossed in something, has to do with the unconscious part of our mind.
When that part of our mind is activated, we are actually thinking much faster (without knowing it) and taking on much more information than we could in our normal day to day conscious thinking pattern..

The unconscious part of our mind is always working much faster than our conscious part..it is similar to a computer in that it processes lots more of what is going on in it, than our conscious minds can handle, for example while iam writing this and you reading me :)
I would love to imagine that this function we are discussing could lead to some form of time-travel, but sadly i dont :(