The system is down

shane

The system is down

I work for a large third party contractor that provides technical support for one of the world's largest computer manufacturers. Yesterday, at about 2:00pm CST, we lost internet at our facility, effectively shutting down our operation for about half an hour. During the downtime, a few agents called home and reported that the internet was down there as well, indicating that access was down citywide. Shortly after this, management reported that we had lost internet access at all of our facilities in North and South America.

This seems like an unreasonably massive outage, the sort of thing that should not even be possible. I'm wondering if it really did hit all of both continents. Did anyone else notice this?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: The System Is Down

I'm living in Quebec, Canada. I haven't noticed anything yesterday afternoon. I was at work, and the Internet worked all the time.

I'm curious to know why this happened, as you said, it's a massive outage. :confused:

Num7

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I work for Cox Communications here in Phoenix and didn't hear anything about an internet outage :S That's really weird though!

Mudpuppy

Our whole entire neighborhood lost power for an hour some time around 8 pm or so. I just assumed it was a local thing.

shane

It could have just been a local outage combined with a random lie from management. Management is in the habit of that sort of thing. It could have also been one of those strange lapses in reality, during which I apparently exist for a short period of time in some alternate universe (read: hallucinate.) I'm in the habit of that sort of thing.

All I know is that I walked out of a dimly lit conference room after an hour or so of being bored to death to find a massive nerf gun fight outside and thought, "Hmm, global conspiracy?" All in all, typical day on the job.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Did you ear of the Internet underwater cables cut a few weeks ago ?
Did they found who and how they were cut ?

godzilla-snap.jpg

kcwildman

Beastmaster

kansas city missouri
no probs of any type at the moment or within the last two weeks