The West Memphis Three

lastdyingtree

The West Memphis Three

I'm doing a speech on the Three in a few days and figured this might be a good time to share the story with other people. 3 teenagers were convicted of a crime that many people feel there wasn't enough evidence to link them to. I am amoung the group of people who feel that the West Memphis Three did not recieve an adequate trial. Many pieces of evidence were overlooked or mishandled, there's a possibility of the confession used against the boys by one of the boys was coerced, and new evidence that the courts have seemed reluctant to admit.
So what is the primary reason that these three are in prison? "Satanic Panic." People in the community were searching for an answer and many suggested that the murders were maybe gang/cult related. Since other leads either weren't properly looked into or were leading to nowhere, police were desperate for an answer. Obviously there's much more to the story than I'm sure I could fit here, but if you want to find out more, there's a link in my sig (http://www.wm3.org in case I change it) and there are documentaries HBO put out called Paradise Lost I and II.
I highly recommend them. For even MORE details still, pick up Mara Leveritt's book Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three.
Chris

shane

Re: The West Memphis Three

I saw the first Paradise Lost documentary when they first aired it. It home pretty hard, As I was living in Arkansas at the time and had recently been prosecuted for conspiracy, terrorist threatening, recruitment of minors to a criminal organization and a handfull of other bogus charges for turning in a civics paper on my doctrine of passive anarchy. Apparently free thought is Illegal in the natural state.

I didn't realize they had made a follow up to Paradise Lost. I will most definitely have to check that out.

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but it seems to me the convictions in that case were as bogus as the aforementioned charges against yours truly. Even if those kids commited the murder, where's the proof?