Time Travel Institute on Sale Now?

sosuemetoo

I was surfing some of the usual links tonight and came upon this:

Link:

http://www.timetravelinstitute.com/ttiforu...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

There's no point beating around the bush here. TTI eats up a lot of my free time. It's difficult to manage all these discussions on the forum. I appreciate all the hard work Roel has done moderating this forum, but I am seriously considering selling the web site to someone who would be interested in continuing its operation. So, the question is:

Would you be interested in buying the web site where John Titor was born?
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $1,000
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $2,000
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $5,000
Yes, I would be interested, and I would be willing to pay more than $5,000
Hell no!

View the results for this poll

The sale of the site would include all associated domain names (timetravelinstitute.com, .net and .org), all static content, and the message boards. Statistics are available for anyone to see at the bottom of the page by clicking on the counter.

This poll is non-binding. I'm just looking to see if there is any interest. Should there be sufficient interest, I will take further action.

Respectfully,
Raul Burriel
Time Travel Institute[/CODE]

Phoenix

Very interesting Susan.

I do have a question though. Why is it a member conducting the poll and not an Admin?

CaryP

Satan's kicking their sorry ass, and they're running for cover. Go Satan!!! The competition lays at his feet. WOOT!!

Cary

sosuemetoo

Originally posted by Phoenix@Sep 17 2004, 01:19 AM
Very interesting Susan.

I do have a question though. Why is it a member conducting the poll and not an Admin?

Phoenix,

I caught that last night and wondered the same thing.

Roel van Houten is the actual owner of that forum. However, sometime back (April or May?) Roel made Raul Burriel the "MOP" (not sure what that means), a title that Roel once held. Roel has not posted since that time, to my knowlege.

Further, when I first saw this, I was absolutely "giddy" with excitement. I thought, wouldn't it be crazy if "we" as members of this forum were able to purchase this site and merge it somehow? Rally the members to donate for the cause! Imagine being the owners of the "first JT site"? Imagine the traffic it would bring in, especially in the coming year (JT debates, etc).

After a good night's sleep, things always look different in the morning, right? TTI is a very different forum.

- The layout is totally different, much like anomalies, frustrating to find an old thread.

-Members have never been encouraged to quit starting the same threads over and over.

-The member "rules" are non-existent - posts that would make a sailor blush. Raul, the "MOP" is the only one with admin powers, there are no mods.

-The membership is very different, I'm not even sure what the total number of members is. Or the number of members that actually have posted in the last few months. The membership is very "impersonal," members don't really get to "know" on another "IMO"

-IMO, the forum needs a shot in the arm - the number of posts have dropped over the summer (because of ttf.net ;) )

If (a very great big IF) we somehow managed to do this, many things would have to be changed, worked on, weeded out to make it a site that would thrive once more. Then, many things would have to remain the same for it to keep it's "identity." We (Satan,admins, mods, legacy, elders, members) have rallied to make board the "beauty" that it is today in a short period of time. Could we do it with TTI? I really don't know.

"Mom"

CaryP

Why would we want to "buy" a site that needs such an overall as to make almost another site? Sounds like the membership there is used to things the way they are. Go and change it up drastically, and you'd lose a lot of them IMO. Why waste the time, money, effort, etc. when this site is outstanding? I'd rather focus resources here. So what if the "original JT" site is up for sale. JT ain't exactly there anymore. Besides, I thought the very first board that JT posted on is no longer in existance. Whatever you want to do Mom, but I'm focusing here.

Cary

sosuemetoo

Originally posted by CaryP@Sep 17 2004, 07:56 AM
Why would we want to \"buy\" a site that needs such an overall as to make almost another site?

Yes, that's the way I felt after a "good night's sleep." How in the world could we help them keep their identity without us losing ours. I'm not sure it could be done.

So what if the \"original JT\" site is up for sale. JT ain't exactly there anymore.

True, but my original thought last night was the fact that it is touted as the first JT site, and it would bring in additional traffic and prestige to our site. Do we want either one?

Besides, I thought the very first board that JT posted on is no longer in existance.

That would be Art Bells P2P , which is closed down and archived in anomolies. Perhaps someone on here can tell me why it is called the first JT site? I thought JT actually posted on TTI.

"Mom"

Phoenix

As the Pirate King I kind of like the take over aspect even with all of the work and trouble it would involve. I think I will hold for Satan's wise leadership in this matter though.

Advantages I do see in owning TTI, especially with Admin control, is the possibility of having the "raw evidence." IP addresses, e-mail addresses, some of the first posts. I am not sure how much of that would still be there and how much would have been carelessly lost.

As to reforms of their board, if we do end up having it, I think we ought to alow such reforms to be democratically approved by their membership base. I also think retaining the separate identity of our board here should be a priority too, such as the differences and standards that Susan has outlined, also the noble ends that Satan has enumerated in his aspirations topic.

StarLord

Having anything to do with that site would be the kiss of death. We have survived a egotistical child from the other site that has taken his ball and gone home. We left there because things were not being done the right way and folks hard work went for naught.

Things are very different here where the populace has a say in what goes on and we are starting to see important growths in other interests and avenues other than some story line. A connection with that other place would only stunt our growth and force us deeper into the soil that we have been striving to Grow Out Of.

Buying a used car promises the fact that you are buying some one elses' obvious blemishes, pecadillos and hidden problems.

John

In the interest of the site I registered and spoke with the Webmaster of Time Travel Institute. Currently he is entertaining a five figure offer for his site. I don't think that site is worth that much.

I agree with some of your sentiments about it being a great site. However, I also agree with CaryP, Starlord and the others who think that we can make this site better using the funds that we would spend on getting that site.

Just as a "what if" let us assume that we raised 15K. Imagine the advertising and expansion we could do on what we have established. Our culture is borne from one which needs democracy whereas that one is not. Our culture is built on community beyond the center of topic (Time Travel). Though Time Travel brings our guests here to register, it is our atmosphere that does keep them. We should and will expand into different avenues, as Phoenix has mentioned, but we should establish the foundation as we did here rather than build on that which was there.

We are the number 1 site for Time Travel related topics, in my opinion. Though others may have been around longer, I think we do it better. We promote open growth and communication. We don't suppress nor ignore any member or their insights. Each is considered an equal. This is what we radiate. This is what sets us apart. This is what makes us great and second to none.

I intend on getting the word out of our existence. This is what I am doing with the advertising budget. It is not that people don't come here because they do not want to be apart of this great community. It is because they do not know of it. I intend to change this. I will do my best to make us known in every circle where time travel or community is discussed. Together we can out do and shine amidst all the other time travel communities as the best time travel community.

Even though the Institute is up for sale, I don't think making a five figure expenditure on purchasing it is in our best interest. We can invest much less and have much more in this site or perhaps another site of our choosing.