Time Travel Movie Buff

karizma

Time Travel Movie Buff

Hi Cary,

I am such a huge movie fanatic that I love talking about all different types of movies. Like you, I don't go to the theater very much (I'm pretty cheap when it comes to spending that much money on a movie ticket), but I do have a pretty diverse dvd and vhs collection. I started the topic with TT movies because I thought that most people on this board would be more interested in the subject, but I am not partial to any movie theme in particular. In fact, I am a pretty big fan of action movies and anything with a monster in it. So I am an open book when it comes to discussing movies of all types.

I believe that the movie Timeline is based on the Michael Chriton book by the same name. I havn't had the opportunity to read a lot of his books so I don't know if this particualr movie is close to the book. You know how that goes sometimes. I have been reading a lot of Anne Rice lately. I made it a personal goal to read all of the Interview with a Vampire series and have made it to book 3 so far. The books are so much better than the movies could ever be.

Well off to a meeting.

Karizma

CaryP

Time Travel Movie Buff

I believe that the movie Timeline is based on the Michael Chriton book by the same name. I havn't had the opportunity to read a lot of his books so I don't know if this particualr movie is close to the book. You know how that goes sometimes. I have been reading a lot of Anne Rice lately. I made it a personal goal to read all of the Interview with a Vampire series and have made it to book 3 so far. The books are so much better than the movies could ever be.

Karizma,

As you pointed out, most books are generally far superior to the movies made from them. This is especially true for Michael Crichton and Anne Rice. The movies have to get so much into somewhere between 90 to 120 minutes. Unless we're talking some big budget epic, and then maybe 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. max. I've read a few of Anne Rice's books. They're very good, just not my usual genre. She's from New Orleans. Has a beautiful house in the Garden District. I've heard her on one of the morning talk radio shows a few times. Sounds like a very nice lady, whose fame hasn't gone to her head.

I've got an idea for a thread - books/ideas you'd like to see produced as a movie. Probably give away a few multi-million dollar ideas to Hollywood. That might get a few of the folks talking here. With the current technology in movie making, just about anything is possible in what can "show up" in the final film, and look very credible. We'll probably get to the point where movies are made with a few actors going through the motions on blue backgrounds, with all the special effects being the main part of movie "making".

Anyway, thanks for the exchange.

Cary

CindyT

Time Travel Movie Buff

Hi Karizma,

My favorite time travel movie is "Somewhere in Time", starring Christopher Reeves. It was on a theory that if one could rid all elements of present time in an old house or building and furnish it to its original condition, they would travel back to that period.

It was a well-made production with excellent acting and somewhat believable scenario. I would recommend this for anyony who likes time travel love stories.

Regards,
Cindy

Unintentional

Time Travel Movie Buff

Paycheck, the movie is AWESOME! It is about a machine that can show images of the future, so IMO is a movie about time travel.

If you are of the Christian persuasion, IMO, as a metaphor, this movie is also an awesome statement of how God treats his people. In the movie, Afflect is given an envelope of 20 objects. At first they seem to be a random collection of items of which seem to have no discernable purpose. Throughout the movie, each item becomes the most important thing in his life when it becomes needed. Metaphorically God has given each of us a seemingly random collection of skills and resources. When the time comes, what God has given us will become the most important thing in our life. We don't know what we need or when we need it, but God already does.

I hate to sound preachy, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as a Sci-Fi mystery about time viewing AND about God. This movie actually has nothing to do with God, but that is how I felt and thought when I saw it.

ironside100

Re: Time Travel Movie Buff

Timeline the book was fantastic. I found the film quite good but not as good as it should have been. Lots of the original books charm was removed for a hollywood type plot. In the book one of the main characters, Marek, was meant to be dutch but he was a loud scotsman in the film. Also they killed lots of medieval soldiers too easily. They where wimpy archaeologists (except Marek, he was a tough archaeologist) who travelled back in time and managed to beat up an entire medieval army despite having no training in fighting what so ever.

good but also a let down.