Time Travel... nonsense

Harte

Re: Time Travel... nonsense

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Omega\")</div>
Harte you can not tell anyone their beliefs are wrong until you prove them wrong, do you have concrete proof of time travel? Until then its all theories and speculation (and my favorite) its your opinion. I am waiting for the day when an intelligent species arrives on this planet and announces \"Sorry but you got it all wrong.\" The problem with intelligent people is they think they are smarter till an even smarter person comes along. In other words being smart is relative to the people you are around.[/b]

Omega,

Kikiriki stated that time travel of any sort was impossible based on his "common sense." How is it that Kikiriki's common sense is a valid reason, while my knowledge of the subject based on research is not? My feeling is that absolute statements such as " I don't know about any of this nonsense that when you go almost as fast as light, you age slower, that could very well be true (and again, that has nothing to do with time, but mearly how atoms act physically)..." and "Going back in time is unquestionably impossible..." deserve absolute rebuttals in return. I mean, where was your outrage when Kikiriki made these statements with absolutely no evidence presented?

I agree with you about smart people. In fact, I have a good friend (an accountant) that seems to enjoy making fun of people not as gifted as himself. I have told him on more than one occasion that if everyone was as smart as him, then he would only be average, so he should appreciate the less cerebrally endowed as they are the ones that put him in the top 10% (brain-wise) of the population.

When someone comes to a time travel board saying that time travel is "unquestionably impossible", I suspect that person is only trying to get a rise out of the members. Knowing what I do about the subject, I felt that Kikiriki needed to be somewhat more educated on the subject, consequently I provided links for him to peruse.

I felt that Kikiriki was somewhat less convinced that travel into the future is impossible though, so I only addressed the past with my links. The subsequent quote about the atomic clock experiment (thank you very much thenumber6) should serve as a good example to kikiriki of the absolute proof of travel in the other direction.

In this forum, I have previously tried to explain time dilation and the Special Theory of Relativity. I am not sure if I was clear enough, but you can find my explanation here using the right words in the board's search function.

Harte