Time travel Riddle

dh1

Why is water wet, why does the wind blow and why does quicksilver flow?
Answer those questions and you'll know how to time travel.

alchemy.jpg

Bullethead21

Water isn't "wet".....….wet is a descriptive word used to describe when "something" comes into contact with water.

Cool air creates areas of high and low pressures..... The wind blows as a result of the differences in pressure..

Quicksilver is a name for Mercury, and is used in many alchemical "recipes"........Your question does not make sense.......I have been a practicing Alchemist for many years now and have used Quicksilver many times.

FYI- these questions do not explain time travel at all....

Not sure how or what the picture has to do with anything either......It's a famous picture of a alchemist at work.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Thank You a great post

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Water isn't "wet".....….wet is a descriptive word used to describe when "something" comes into contact with water.

Cool air creates areas of high and low pressures..... The wind blows as a result of the differences in pressure..

Quicksilver is a name for Mercury, and is used in many alchemical "recipes"........Your question does not make sense.......I have been a practicing Alchemist for many years now and have used Quicksilver many times.

Not sure how or what the picture has to do with anything either......It's a famous picture of a alchemist at work.

I've already created a theory that liquid mercury could be used to create really fast sound waves in an effort to get the sound
waves to go faster than the speed of light MAYBE creating some type of portal....so, there's your answer! LOL.
(Obviously, just a theory).. My thought was that to get sound waves to move faster they need to pass through something liquid and metal.

I actually don't know WHAT would happen to sound if it traveled faster than the speed of light.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
My personal opinion: spinning mercury at the speed of light would never ever happen. Why:

1. I don't think you could mass enough energy to spin Mercury in a toroid device, may be if you're really lucky you might get it up to the speed of sound that is still doubtful.

2. Second problem: The toroid would explode from the intense pressure of the spinning Mercury on the outer edges of the toroid. In other words the faster the Mercury spins the greater the centrifugal pressure would be on the outer wall of an enclosed toroid.

3. I would try thinking outside the box figuratively speaking and find a new way to reach light-speed.

Professor Opmmur

Harte

I've already created a theory that liquid mercury could be used to create really fast sound waves in an effort to get the sound
waves to go faster than the speed of light MAYBE creating some type of portal....so, there's your answer! LOL.
(Obviously, just a theory).. My thought was that to get sound waves to move faster they need to pass through something liquid and metal.

I actually don't know WHAT would happen to sound if it traveled faster than the speed of light.
Sound travels faster in a solid than in a liquid, so sound waves in mercury move slower than sound waves in steel (for example.)
Like light, sound has a maximum velocity.
Also like light, the group velocity of sound can be made to appear to travel extremely fast, even greater than lightspeed (this has been done with light too.)
But the velocity of the sound waves themselves is stuck at the max for the material through which it moves.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Sound travels faster in a solid than in a liquid, so sound waves in mercury move slower than sound waves in steel (for example.)
Like light, sound has a maximum velocity.
Also like light, the group velocity of sound can be made to appear to travel extremely fast, even greater than lightspeed (this has been done with light too.)
But the velocity of the sound waves themselves is stuck at the max for the material through which it moves.

Harte

OK, I some how read somewhere that sound travels faster in liquid, but it doesn't mean my source was correct. (Can't trust the internet).

Do you know WHY sound has a maximum velocity? It is only limited by the medium? What would happen if we managed to exceed it?

Harte

We already have exceeded it.
What happens is a sonic boom.
Sound is a mechanical thing, unlike light. Sound is carried by actual vibrations in actual matter (the medium,) whereas light has no medium whatsoever, unless you prefer the interpretation of light as waves in spacetime itself, which appears to be one way to model it.

The way I see it, and I've studied it, is that electromagnetic waves carry themselves with no medium because it is the give and take of the electric wave with the magnetic wave - one giving when the other is taking and voice-versa - that carries the EM wave along.

Harte