Time Travel Video Games

Heinrich Hundekok

Re: Time Travel Video Games

I've been wondering...

How about introducing TT in real-time strategy games like good 'ole StarCraft?

Imagine beeing able to develop a "chronosphere" sort-o-gadget that - when activated - placed a selected amount of units earlier in the game. I'm talking about actually forcing both (all) players to replay the entire game from that point at which these units arrive - only difference is that the guy teching for chronosphere got more units than the first time they played....

I'd say that was pretty fun... and confusing.... :unsure: ....I think.

But it would be REAL TT, not just action-adventure in a historic setting. You'd actually be able to use TT as a strategic tool!!! But no single-time-line, though. Too bad there, chrono Jim. ;)

H.H.

The_Ruffneck

haha i love starcraft but that idea is kinda.....silly!
and remember as the arbiter says "do you seek knowledge of time travel?" hahaha

anyone play that amiga game 'time machine' you were in prehistoric times and had to progress their technology enough so that you could go back to your time:)

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Heinrich Hundekok\")</div>
I've been wondering...

How about introducing TT in real-time strategy games like good 'ole StarCraft?

Imagine beeing able to develop a \"chronosphere\" sort-o-gadget that - when activated - placed a selected amount of units earlier in the game. I'm talking about actually forcing both (all) players to replay the entire game from that point at which these units arrive - only difference is that the guy teching for chronosphere got more units than the first time they played....

I'd say that was pretty fun... and confusing.... :unsure: ....I think.

But it would be REAL TT, not just action-adventure in a historic setting. You'd actually be able to use TT as a strategic tool!!! But no single-time-line, though. Too bad there, chrono Jim. ;)

H.H.[/b]

This is a great idea, a turn based strategy game that lets players alter the timeline. I wonder how hard this would be to program.

GQRIVY

Re: Time Travel Games

I'd like to suggest a time travel game, but it's not a video game. It's a text adventure computer game that you can download for free on your PC. OK, here's Confession #1: There aren't any graphics, just words. Here's Confession #2: I wrote it myself.

However, I think you'll find it intriguing and refreshingly different. The game involves several time travel trips in which you (as the player) can cooperate with and interfere with the actions that you took on your previous trips to that time period. The game has a consistent philosophy concerning the treatment of paradoxes and the principle of conservation of uncertainty as it relates to causal inversions.

Confession #3: The principle of conservation of uncertainty as it relates to causal inversions is something that I made up too.

If you're interested in finding out more about this game or if you'd like to download it for free, go to www.qrivy.net/~gayla

DWOMT

One of my favorite games of all time has Time Travel in it. "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for the N64. Well now they've ported the game over to Gamecube. It has an interesting concept of Time Travel in it. Link starts off as a child in the game, then later in the game he pulls the Legendary Master Sword from the Temple of Time and it warps him seven years into the future. The whole game is based on bouncing back and forth between two timelines.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Wasn't there a Zelda game for the Game Boy Advance where you travel through time to different seasons or something?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Re: Time Travel Games

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"GQRIVY\")</div>
I'd like to suggest a time travel game, but it's not a video game. It's a text adventure computer game that you can download for free on your PC. OK, here's Confession #1: There aren't any graphics, just words. Here's Confession #2: I wrote it myself.

However, I think you'll find it intriguing and refreshingly different. The game involves several time travel trips in which you (as the player) can cooperate with and interfere with the actions that you took on your previous trips to that time period. The game has a consistent philosophy concerning the treatment of paradoxes and the principle of conservation of uncertainty as it relates to causal inversions.

Confession #3: The principle of conservation of uncertainty as it relates to causal inversions is something that I made up too.

If you're interested in finding out more about this game or if you'd like to download it for free, go to www.qrivy.net/~gayla[/b]

I tried running the game but I got an error and it had to close itself.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"DWOMT\")</div>
One of my favorite games of all time has Time Travel in it. \"The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time\" for the N64. Well now they've ported the game over to Gamecube. It has an interesting concept of Time Travel in it. Link starts off as a child in the game, then later in the game he pulls the Legendary Master Sword from the Temple of Time and it warps him seven years into the future. The whole game is based on bouncing back and forth between two timelines.[/b]

Dwomt,
LOZOOT has been called the greatest videogame ever created, and I can agree with that. I was wondering if anyone here would mention it's TT aspect in this thread.

There is a new Legend of Zelda coming out this year made exclusively for the gamecube. From the screenshots I've seen, looks to be another humdinger. My little girl, who loves this series of games, is already pestering me.

Harte