U.S. Border Control

Zoomerz

U.S. Border Control

Hi All; Thought I would start a new thread for border control issues (as a news watch). If this is in error, please move this to where it belongs! tks

U.S. to Tighten Border Controls by 2008

By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - Americans will need passports to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Panama and Bermuda by 2008, part of a tightening of U.S. border controls in an era of terrorist threat, three administration officials said Tuesday.

Photo
AP Photo

?

Similarly, Canadians will also have to present a passport to enter the United States, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Canadians have been the only foreigners allowed to enter the United States with just a driver's license.

An announcement, expected later Tuesday at the State Department, will specify that a passport or another valid travel document will have to be shown by U.S. citizens, the officials said.

These include a document called Sentri that is used for Mexico travel or a Nexus for Canada travel.

Until now, Americans returning home from Canada have needed only to show a driver's license or other government-issued photo identification card.

Americans returning from Mexico, Panama or Bermuda currently need only a government-issued photo identification card plus proof of U.S. citizenship like an original birth or naturalization certificate, according to the State Department's Web site.

The new rules, to be phased in by Jan. 1, 2008, were called for in intelligence legislation approved last year by Congress.

Safeguarding U.S. borders are a top concern of U.S. intelligence and security officials. The concern increased after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and on the Pentagon.

The travel industry has raised concerns that the changes might hamper tourism, one official said.

The announcement follows a three-way summit last month that President Bush held with Prime Minister Paul Martin of Canada and President Vicente Fox of Mexico.

Speaking at Baylor University at Waco, Tex., Bush said border controls with Mexico had to be tightened to make sure that terrorists, drug runners, gun runners and smugglers do not enter the United States.

Besides a passport, re-entering Americans could use another approved travel document like frequent travel cards, which are issued to some people who travel often between the U.S. and Mexico. These cards typically are used to avoid long border-crossing lines.

But in most cases, only passports will do, another U.S. official said.

The new system will deal first with the Caribbean, then Mexico and Canada. It will start at airports and subsequently spread to land crossings, said an official speaking on condition of anonymity.

U.S. inspectors will bear less of a burden with the changes because they won't have to sift through different kinds of travel documents, the officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=3&...st_pe/us_travel

Looks like all the terrorists had better be in the country by 2008 eh? Dontcha just love a sense of urgency?

Z-

CaryP

Re: U.S. Border Control

Good find Zoomerz. Yeah, I get the urgency. LMOA. What's interesting is that Americans will have to have passports to get back in. You know those passports with those nifty RFID tags in them with all your personal info. on them. The ones that have your biometrics, and everything back to DNA. Gonna be tracking Americans real close now. Yeeha.

Cary

Zoomerz

Re: U.S. Border Control

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"CaryP\")</div>
Good find Zoomerz. ?Yeah, I get the urgency. ?LMOA. ?What's interesting is that Americans will have to have passports to get back in. ?You know those passports with those nifty RFID tags in them with all your personal info. on them. ?The ones that have your biometrics, and everything back to DNA. ?Gonna be tracking Americans real close now. ?Yeeha.

Cary[/b]
I heard about that the other day on the radio. I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but all new passports are gonna have RFID, and anyone with an old passport will have 6 months to *exchange* theirs for the new ones. I'm not sure of the date this all happens though.

No real problem with it though, identity theives will have to be within 30 feet or so to steal your information. No way that'll ever happen, right?

Z-