Universal Currency

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Universal Currency

I used to do a lot of travelling when I was in the army. One thing that happened before I got out was Europe switched to the Euro... Making it much easier to travel from France, to Germany to Italy. Every country has the same dollar, valued the same. It's great, and it works perfectly.

Should the US, Canada, Mexico and South American countries begin using this kind of currency?

I heard some talk that China was considering using this, but I don't recall the source that I read it on.

HackimerRob

Universal Currency

Good afternoon Mr. President. (aside* while I personally like your avatar, my computer seems to hate it, slowing down, and hanging on page changes) And I'm on a fast connection.
:)
Anyway B.O.T.
I think a world unified currency would be an interesting experiment and a first step in a unified peaceful world govt.
It would seem that that kind of thing would have one of two obvious effects.

1) It would make the third world into the fifth world and perpetuate the "rich get richer poor get poorer" to uncharted reaches of the globe OR:
2) It would have a big hand in balancing out the wealth of the world, and reduce economic wars between countries.

Can anyone comment on how they've seen the euro change the face of europe?

Do countries that use the euro still use their native currency?

Hack

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Universal Currency

No. Deutchmarks in Germany are useless now. When I went into a couple stores they had two prices...One for Euros, and one for DMs.

That was during the transition period, but now I don't think anyone accepts them. Not sure about any other country though.

Euros work perfectly. I lived there for 2 years, a year and a half with the Euro, and heard nothing but good things from every country.

Phoenix

Universal Currency

I definitely see it as a foreseeable trend.
I know I would have no problems with it, especially if it was a backed currency, such as the liberty dollar.

Do you think there will be a time when we learn to live without currency?

HackimerRob

Universal Currency

Phoenix Posted on Jun 16 2004, 07:44 PM
Do you think there will be a time when we learn to live without currency?
That is one of my dreams. But that would also mean no plastic, no credit, nothing like that. Unfortunately those in power around the world benefit too much right now from a standardized currency system. Without money, they would have NO power and it would be a true democracy, not this Captialism we currently have in America.

CaryP

Universal Currency

A one world currency would be a political and financial disaster. It's had limited benefits in the EU. France and Germany have both been allowed to violate budget deficit rules for the last two years. My bet is that the EU comes apart in the next 10-15 years. When it comes down to it everybody wants their corner of the world to have the best deal, which normally means some other place gets the short end of the stick. The only way a one world currency would work would be to have a one world government, to which I'd be very opposed. The neocons would probably love a one world government so long as they were in control. How would a one world government operate? How are you going to get all the diverse cultures, religions, beliefs and traditions to mesh under a one world govt.? Can you imagine the bureaucracy? An absolute nightmare! The problem with a one world currency would be who would have the authority to "print" new money when somebody decided they needed more for their economy. The idea is nice, but the practicality of it would be a freakin' nightmare. Who would decide what current currencies would be exchanged for in the new one-world currency? With global political tensions as high as they are now, a one-world currency would be an impossibility. The Islamic nations would never go along with. I doubt the Asian economies would go along with it right now as well. Do you really want to share a currency with some of the Latin American economies? I have serious doubts that most European countries would want anything to do with the U.S. being part of their currency. A bit of a rant, but that's my .02.

Cary

Unintentional

Universal Currency

We have a universal currency it is called a credit card! :lol:

But a universal currency would be nice so I could know before I get my bill (in US dollars) how much I spent. ;)