US cow tests positive for Mad Cow Disease

US cow tests positive for Mad Cow Disease

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/06/24/mad.c....cow.ap/index.h...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Tests have confirmed mad cow disease in a U.S. cow previously cleared of having the brain wasting illness, the Agriculture Department said Friday. It is the second case of mad cow disease in the United States.

An internationally recognized laboratory in Weybridge, England, confirmed the case of mad cow disease after U.S. tests produced conflicting results, Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said.

Human health was not at risk, Johanns said. The animal was a "downer," meaning it was unable to walk. Such animals are banned from the food supply.

New tests were ordered two weeks ago. Those results came back positive, leading officials to seek confirmation from the Weybridge lab. The department also performed more tests at its lab in Ames, Iowa.

JRSpencer

Re: US cow tests positive for Mad Cow Disease

I know. I know. It's unsettling to see a report such a this since Titor "said" it would happen. I just hope the situation is contained.

Hemoman

I find it quite unsettling but tis' kind of like a bullet train, how the hell are you going to stop it? You can't. At this point I think the future described is unstoppable by nothing short of a global rebellion against the powers that be and that will NEVER happen.

I'm not an anarchist or chaostician but I can't help but see the root of all this being somewhere in unjust governing.

Eiher way we're all screwed. I might be changing my philosophy from duck and cover to sip a glass of port and watch the world be wrought into nothingness as it is torn apart.

Omega

So are you going to go back in time and stop this? This is the time travel section?

StarLord

You can bet your last dollar that for some strange reason the price of beef will go up.

pauli

Well, I think that if this is in the food chain, we won't hear about it, except in the rare cases the news slips out. I would love to think that the food industry is acting responsibly with the consumers, but I have serious doubts this is the case. I wager that they will keep hiding this information from us until there will be no doubt that the beef industry is riddled with the problem. Sad, really. :(

Makes me see some of the wisdom in being a vegetarian, even though I don't believe it is wrong to eat meat.

Keroscene

What about cows that eat grass? What are their chances of CJD?

The_Ruffneck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Keroscene\")</div>
What about cows that eat grass? ?What are their chances of CJD?[/b]
Apparently mad cow is caused by an ointment British farmers used to rub into the spinal cords of their cows to get rid of 'warble flies' , the ointment had alot of manganese in it which is what causes the cow to go goo-goo.The cow is then obviously chopped up and sold as feed to other cows.

Grass situated near high manganese areas (eg bottling plant or something) or cows that have been subjected to the fly killing chemical are susceptible to CJD.

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/17/bovine_...orm_disease.htm