War with North Korea?

CaryP

War with North Korea?

Yeah, wow, and they tend to do this in No. Korea. Keeps the people in fear of the "American barbarians." Kinda like Homeland Security trying to keep us in fear of "Islamic terrorists." Of course reports from Iraq say that the insurgents have now grown to a strength of about 200,000 and they're mainly Iraqis. Stay in a country long enough, doing enough "bad stuff" and the general populace eventually turns on you. Glad to hear the Iraqis are feeling so liberated. Yeeha. Good link Tw0mey.

Cary

StarLord

War with North Korea?

You Bet! Having your leaders picture will insure that you survive a war. Having 10,000 tunnels will help a lot more IMHO. If it was me I'd take pictures of Mary Ann, Ginger & Groucho Marx for those days when I couldn't decide who was running my country.

Darkwolf

War with North Korea?

Anybody read about how long, hard, ofteh the N-Korean military trains. Those are some damn tough, diciplined and orginized people over there. I think we have sense enough not to go there. Unless of course they go south.

Kalagast

War with North Korea?

At the risk of sounding clich?d, North Korea is a lot more bark than bite. While their military power is impressive, it only remains so because they pump an unfathomably enormous fraction of their GDP into it. Isolation does not tend to do a state much good, especially in our current era. North Korea's total GDP is a mere 20 billion dollars (as of 2003, and I doubt that figure has changed substantially in the past year or two). To put that in perspective, let's take a look at some other countries' GDP, namely some of those involved in negotiations with North Korea:

Russia: 1.2 trillion
China: 4.6 trillion (5.2 trillion if Taiwan and Hong Kong are included)
Japan: 3.3 trillion
United States: 9.6 trillion

And, in one of the most perfect displays of how far international cooperation can go, South Korea, their nearest neighbor on the same peninsula, outgrosses North Korea 40 - 1, coming in at around 800 billion.

So, while North Korea does deviate a bit when it comes to playing by the rules, it still would be economic suicide to launch an invasion of any state worth invading, let alone South Korea (whose military still weighs in at number six; which, to be fair to their northerly rival, doesn't even amount to two thirds numerically of North Korea's weighing-in-at-number-five force). Any real followup on all of these proclamations of unreal power would send them on a one-way trip to failed statehood within a few years. So, yes, they do have a few nuclear weapons lying around, but the only threat they pose is the possibility (indeed, likelyhood) of selling them off to the highest bidding independent organizations. While it's not a good thing, if you have even a slight grip on how much nuclear material is stolen from old Soviet stations, you'll know it doesn't change things much.

To sum up, I'm not saying that North Korea can't or won't cause problems, but if any party involved was foolhardy enough to initiate a state-to-state war, I would lose all faith in human intellect.