What is the science behind recurring dreams ?

Martian

My recurring dreams:

1) Chinese troops in America

2) Me being in a flying time machine or otherwise hanging out with time travelers / aliens

3) Hiding behind a hill from a nuclear blast

4)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I've had these dreams about being back in highschool quite a bit for the past 5 years maybe. It's often the same stuff. Going to class, hanging out with folks, going to prom, and stuff.

Didn't have one for a few months, but it used to happen a lot, like a few times a week on average for a long time. Not sure where those came from.

Unfinished business?

Martian

I've had these dreams about being back in highschool quite a bit for the past 5 years maybe. It's often the same stuff. Going to class, hanging out with folks, going to prom, and stuff.

Didn't have one for a few months, but it used to happen a lot, like a few times a week on average for a long time. Not sure where those came from.

Unfinished business?
My highschool dreams are always about me being late for class & wandering down the halls in a panic. :D

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, had those as well, but not as often. What is the point though? I don't know what it means.

For some reason, you guys made me realise I've had those school dreams a ton for the past years. Now I'm puzzled as to why I get these.

I'm glad it's a recurring theme for you too.

Martian

Yeah, had those as well, but not as often. What is the point though? I don't know what it means.

For some reason, you guys made me realise I've had those school dreams a ton for the past years. Now I'm puzzled as to why I get these.

I'm glad it's a recurring theme for you too.
I just remembered that I've also frequently dreamed about being in my final semester of college, but something goes wrong. Whether I miss class, can't find the classroom, or whatever. It makes sense in real life, to me. :) Because I screwed stuff up so many times before I finally got it right. I think some recurring dreams are because of past difficulties or trauma. I think other recurring dreams are due to precognition. Others, still, may be due to something else.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
My highschool dreams are always about me being late for class & wandering down the halls in a panic. :D

Yep, exactly what I have. I've had a few variations where I check classrooms and they are the wrong class.
Yet another - I'm lost, takes me hours to find my locker, and when I do, the combination doesn't work.

Last edited:

Wind7

Staff
Yep, exactly what I have. I've had a few variations where I check classrooms and they are the wrong class.
Yet another - I'm lost, takes me hours to find my locker, and when I do, the combination doesn't work.

Wow....I have had almost the exact same dream...but with an embarrassing difference.

1. I could levitate and fly away.

2. I flew away because I was Stark Naked. :eek:

I hated those dreams but, would always wake up and realize
that I was safe at home in my bed.

Then, I had to deal with the anxiety and insomnia afterwards.

:oops:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I found a list of the most common recurring dreams.

• Falling
  • Flying
  • Car crashes
  • Looking for a toilet
  • Being overwhelmed by house maintenance
  • Not being able to speak
  • Losing teeth
  • Being attacked
  • Public nakedness
  • Returning to school
  • Being unprepared for school or work
  • Being chased or trapped
  • Finding new rooms in the home or a familiar building
I've had the teeth falling out one a few times, but it has been a while.