What would you ask a Time Traveler?

vodkafan

I would ask if I could join up !

If you were given a choice of what mission to undertake, what would it be?
What would you want to do with your technology (given that they allow you the lattitude to design your own priorities)?

Sorry temporal only just saw this. Well, I have thought about this somewhat. My use of technology would be pretty naughty. I am English so I would like to go back to live in Victorian England, based around 1880-onwards. Of course I would have to pop up before this in 1830s 1850s and 1870s now and again to establish my credentials and make a lot of money in investments (I hear the East India Company is doing rather well old boy) and have a few houses built around the UK and India and America everything sewn up tight in trust funds. The good thing is I could leave the popping back until I was older in my own personal timeline so that I could masqeurade as my own grandfather or father to set things up.
Oh I would have to make a special trip back to about 1800 to date Jane Austen. I hope she really does look like Anne Hatheway . One misuse of technology would be to show her all the films made of her books and tell her how famous she is.
I might not be allowed to stop her dying at her historical time as a spinster (the Time Chasers would wink me out of my loop in an instant) but I would like her to at least have sex before she goes. Because I am a giving person like that.
I have planned my house in Eaton Square London built in 1863 by the architect Robert Kerr. In fact I am instrumental in his early rise to success by giving him lots of work and money. I have modified his large townhouse design to incorporate much 21st century technology. It will have electric light and all mod cons powered by solar cells on the mansard roof, hidden from street view. But I still like a nice big arse coal fire in the drawing room of a night time.
A hobby of mine would be buying up first edition books and other items to siphon back to the future. And also, to bring certain 21st century items to 1880 for the right price.
A man's got to have a hobby .
Ok so I am a criminal.
Of course the servants would have to be in on the whole thing. I would have lots of servants but I would be nice to them. They would get educated and their families looked after . They would be intensely loyal.
OK so much for the selfish part.
My mission would be as an agent for the good of lower Victorian society. I would like to help the Great Unwashed . But not in the condescending patronising way of most Victorian do-gooders . I would like to help the very poor with medicines and fluid filled spectacles and micro credit schemes. I would campaign behind the scenes for women to be not be subjugated . It was me that made the Safety Bicycle such a big fad in 1890. I opened a bicycle factory. On a larger scale I would end the major injustices in colonial India and elsewhere in the Empire. I would like to keep the Empire but of course the Time Chasers won't let me make that big a change.
Oh, also, I am Spring Heeled Jack. The stories about me hurting people are rubbish. I just jump about over buildings at night. It is just me practicing my Parkeur.
Also, I killed Jack The Ripper. That's why he disappeared. I'm not sorry about that.

vodkafan

In fact Jane Austen didn't die in 1806 or whenever. We just faked that. She lives in sin with me in 1890. We travelled around in the 1920s and 1930s for a while . The 1960s were pretty wild too. She was a film star in the 1930s and wrote a few more books under different names at different times. The Time Chasers know about her. They are Ok with it. I did a deal and had to agree NOT to kill Hitler.
It was a tough choice. That whole First and Second World War thing was in my opinion completely unavoidable. So much suffering.
But in the end I went with the writer babe. She has such nice manners and a sparkling wit.

vodkafan

I would ask if I could join up !

Heck yeah. That's what I would do as well. Imagine being able to go back in time and watch events unfold. Seeing a real dino, talking with different religious leaders and going back to see different points in Earths time.

I did a bit of that. However you have to sign stuff when you go back to see Jesus or Mohammed or Buddha. They won't let you talk about it. The dinos hunts were fun but sorry to say Mahatma Gandhi was a bit of a self righteous old fart. Always had to be seen to eat less than everybody else. Put a complete damper on barbecues I can tell you.

Zeit Individuum

Understanding that a time traveler would not provide you any information about future events, one might wonder what use such a conversation might be.

So, if you could ask him/her anything, but nothing about future events or persons, what would you ask?

I am a time traveler from the era 1941. I was sent here to collected information for the German Government under the leadership of Heinrich Himmler and the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei. What would you like to know?

vodkafan

I am a time traveler from the era 1941. I was sent here to collected information for the German Government under the leadership of Heinrich Himmler and the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei. What would you like to know?

Sorry I can't help but be sceptical. If you are a time traveller what is your reason for declaring yourself as such? It surely defeats the object of gathering clandestine information .... I look forward to your reply.

Samstwitch

Please continue the discussion with Zeit Individuum on the thread for him specifically here.. I'm a Time Traveler I have moved some posts on that thread.

This thread is for a general discussion on questions for Time Travelers.