Who Or What Created This Large Hole On Mars?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Who Or What Created This Large Hole On Mars?
Latest Photo Baffles Scientists
19 July, 2012

Is this yet another entrance to a secret underground world on Mars? We have previously seen that a football field-sized, dark and very deep hole was discovered on Mars some years ago.

Now, a new stunning photo taken by Oribiter's HIRISE instrument shows a hole about 35 metres across.

A visible shadow shows an underlying cavern believed to be about 20 metres deep.
The hole was discovered by chance on images of the dusty slopes of the Red Planet's Pavonis Mons volcano.

It appears to be an opening to an underground cavern, partly illuminated to the right of the opening.

holeonmarspavonismons.jpg

A new huge hole discovered on Mars. Image Credit: NASA, JPL, U. Arizona

As NASA explains, "Holes such as this are of particular interest because their interior caves are relatively protected from the harsh surface of Mars, making them relatively good candidates to contain Martian life.

These pits are therefore prime targets for possible future spacecraft, robots, and even human interplanetary explorers."

This is not the first time, HIRISE has photographed a strange opening on Mars. A few years ago, scientists discovered a giant hole that measures about 330 feet (100 meters) in diameter and is located to the northeast of Arsia Mons, one of the largest volcanoes on Mars.

Scientists think the holes could be entrances to underground Martian caves.

Are these giant holes leading to a secret underground world on Mars?

The hole measures about 330 feet (100 meters) in diameter and is located to the northeast of Arsia Mons, one of the largest volcanoes on Mars.

darkholeapod2.jpg

Black spots have been discovered on Mars that are so dark that nothing inside can be seen. Quite possibly, the spots are entrances to deep underground caves capable of protecting Martian life, were it to exist. The unusual hole pictured above was found on the slopes of the giant Martian volcano Arsia Mons. The above image was captured three weeks ago by the HiRISE instrument onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter currently circling Mars.Credits: Credit: NASA, JPL, U. Arizona

According to experts studying the MRO's images, the feature is not an impact crater; it lacks a circular, raised or ejecta. The hole's darkness is impenetrable because of its sufficient depth, so any details of the terrain inside it, cannot be seen.
The hole measures about 330 feet (100 meters) in diameter and is located to the northeast of Arsia Mons, one of the largest volcanoes on Mars.

darkholemars3.jpg

THEMIS's image shows holes, which can be entrances to underground caves on Mars. Photo Credits: GE Cushing, TN Titus, JJ Wynne, USGS, USGS, Northern Arizona University, and PR Christensen of Arizona State University

Obviously someone or something is responsible for the creation of these giant holes on Mars.

kurisu

Don't tell me giant bee-like creatures are living in underground tunnels in mars >.< Giant insects are extremely scary xD

Rosco..Jones

More sinkholes, like on Earth? Rivers running underground?
I am curious, but will have to wait for an answer.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Maybe the first one is just a volcano, or some kind of empty mountain that used to contain material that collapsed underneath it.

For the others, they definitely look like sinkholes we sometimes encounter here on Earth. I'm very curious to know what's hiding under the surface of Mars.

Justinian

This makes me wonder... Because you would think that to make tunnels or caves, on Earth it is usually water that does that. Or I guess lava.. So is this from dried up rivers, or an extinguished volcano.. And then my morbid mind started thinking even more.. IF an entire planets lava supply dried up, like in the Earth if all of our interior lava or magma whatever, just dried up, what would happen?

Justinian

How long does it take to get to Mars? Wonder how long it takes to get to Jupiter? And what the hell created that asteroid belt out there?

Rosco..Jones

JD, For one, if our core cooled and solidified, we would no longer have a magnetic field.
Life on Europa? Shades of the 2001 series of movies.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I believe it will take a few decades before we're able to get on Mars.

Mars doesn't have a magnetic field, right?

Octavusprime

We must not assume all that what we require for life is necessary for life that evolved under very different environmental factors.