Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

thenumbersix

Re: Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"darkbreed\")</div>
Hm well time is also related to movement and gravity. Like the spaceship with twin A inside travelling at almost the speed of light, where twin B is left on Earth. I mean, both experiences time the same way, but once they meet again they will see that time have been different, one have become older than the other.

And this is what i wonder if will happen for 2 people on 2 different planets as well. If the rotation speed and gravity of each of the planets play an large role in the experience of time between the 2?[/b]

Time is theoreticaly related to speed. It has been proven by using two atomic clocks showing exactly the same time, one was left on earth and one put into orbit.

As the one in orbit was on a greater arc it travelled slightly faster. When they brought it down the clock in orbit had slowed, therefore aged less, albeit by a few fractions of a nats c*ck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"sam mower\")</div>
when speeding towards the speed of light, mass approaches infinity. This fascinates me also. why do you think this happens? Is it the speed, that somehow breaks the molecular structure and kind of inflates it? is it strictly singularity, that makes it look (from our point of view only) like the mass is at multiple places at the same \"time\"? Or is it some brilliant theory that I haven't heard of and I'm just beeing a jackass?[/b]

Is a valid question, the reason is e=mc2. Has been suggested as a means of travel - get to the speed of light in one place and as you are everywhere at once simply decide to stop somewhere else the other side of several galaxies, in theory, just don't stop in the middle of a star.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"preethi1986\")</div>
someone in this thread said sth abt spitting at the speed of 10 m/s in a car which is moving at the speed of 100 m/s in the direction of the spitting would mean that the spit is travelling at the speed of 110 m/s. yes, this is true relative to the ground. but then, if you were to consider it relative to the sun or some other reference point in this or any universe, it'll be a totally different speed. so if time travel can be achieved by travelling faster than the speed of light, it will be very difficult to determine which reference point to use to measure velocity. somehow sth tells me that it would have to be the velocity that occurs due to the effort of the object itself, so for the spit, it's velocity is 10 m/s.

oh no. i don't think i am expressing myself properly. i am quite confused myself.[/b]
Preethi hit on the gist of the question. Which reference frame to use. This is the answer to the (forward) time travel involved at relativistic speeds, aka time dilation. It turns out that any light measured under any circumstances always travels at the same speed relative to any observer. That's what Einstein meant when he said the speed of light is constant.

If you are in a ship moving at high speed and you shine a light along the direction of movement, no matter how you measure it your measurement will show that the light is moving away from your source at the speed of light ?.
If you are outside the ship and at rest with respect to the ship and you somehow measure the speed of that guy's flashlight beam, no matter how you measure it your measurements will also show the beam to be moving at the speed of light?. How to reconcile these two facts?

Speed is measured in units of distance divided by time (d/t).

If you are the guy outside the ship, you expect the beam to be traveling at c+s (s=ship speed) but you find that it is travelling at c, which is much less than c+s.

Since the speed (d/t) is less than it should be, the only way to account for this is that either d has decreased (constriction of length) or t has increased(dilation of time). In fact, it has been proven experimentally that both of these outlandish things happen at any speed. It's just that they aren't very noticeable until you get to speeds which are at least a fair percentage of c.
If you are the voyeur looking in on the astronaut's light experiment, if you look at his clock you will see (part of) the reason his measurement of his light beam is the same as yours. His clock will appear to be running very slowly to you, which is why you see his light beam going slower than you expected(traveling at speed c instead of speed c+s as you would expect.)

Exact amounts of length constriction and time dilation for any given speeds can be easily calculated from Einstein's field equations. Google that for more info.

This explains time travel into the future. Travel into the past requires a very powerful rotating gravitational field.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
If you can contain it, and keep it small, you can move it any where you want. Isn't a singularity exactly like a black hole? Doesn't it attract physical mass towards it? So if you can manuever the back end of the 'ship' around, you can steer it and the universe can keep doing what it wants. It's like a carrot in front of a donkey, only in this case, the carrot can grow in size causing the donkey to run exponentially faster.[/b]

A singularity can theoretically be moved. You put a charge on it and pull or push it along with an opposite charge.
However, the propulsion system you propose is exactly like using a fan to blow on a sail. Yes the sail will fill but no you have not imparted any force on the boat to make it move.
It's like saving your life in a falling elevator by jumping up the instant the elevator hits bottom. It don't work.

As far as your statement about not being able to move a singularity iooqxpooi, OK OK, if you are thinking a singularity has infinite mass, you are right, sort of. A collapsing star forming a sigularity collapses to infinity. But remember, once the collapse has reach "black hole" status, the collapse stops for us (time dilation again). That means that for the rest of the universe, the black hole itself has a finite mass and is therefore moveable. But it would be like a bacterium trying to move the earth and that is not an overstatement.