Why is our worldline so special?

QuantumCowgirl

Has anyone thought about how amazingly unlikely it would be that a time traveler would end up on our "worldline," as JT calls them, out of an infinite number of places to land in time? I suppose that, though JT claims to be among a very small number of time travelers from his worldline in 2036, it's possible that an infinite number of time travelers exists nonetheless--i.e., a few from each worldline that exists at 2030 and onward... Is my logic shaky here? I'm just saying, if WE have the chance to stop a nuke war in 2015, but we're the only worldline that gets the memo, well, a) We're damn lucky. and B) Why us? and c) The idea itself seems to make JT's claims less plausible. :D'oh:

Darkwolf

You have to take into account that when Titor left (supposing he did) that on a virtually infinate number of worldlines indistinguishable from his own, Johns left at the same instant, and arrived on many worldlines similar to ours. So the Memmo was widly distributed. However I don't think there are really enough of us who put any credence in such things to do anything about what he predicted except to see to it that us and ours survive.

CaryP

Welcome to the plantation QuantumCowgirl. I agree whole heartedly with Darkwolf in his post. What makes us special? You could build an arguement pro or con. We're very special from certain perspectives, and so totally unspectacular from others. Kinda like the question people ask themselves all the time. Mind giving us a little background in the Introduce Yourself thread? Looking forward to your posts.

Cary

The_Ruffneck

Hi Cowgirl , this worldline is special because 9/11 happened , Titor said this was a rare event....

Well thats how i see it anyway

CaryP

Originally posted by The_Ruffneck@Oct 27 2004, 06:47 AM
Hi Cowgirl , this worldline is special because 9/11 happened , Titor said this was a rare event....

Well thats how i see it anyway

Ruffneck,

Titor was gone before 9/11, and never mentioned it in any of his vague "predictions." Are you talking about Y2K not happening here?

Cary

QuantumCowgirl

Darkwolf, when you say JT entered many worldlines like our own, what did you mean? It was my understanding he only stopped in 1975 and 2000... Thanks for all your ideas, guys. I just discovered this Titor story, and I'm sort of obsessed with it right now! :)

Snow

Originally posted by QuantumCowgirl@Oct 27 2004, 08:39 AM
Darkwolf, when you say JT entered many worldlines like our own, what did you mean? It was my understanding he only stopped in 1975 and 2000... Thanks for all your ideas, guys. I just discovered this Titor story, and I'm sort of obsessed with it right now! :)

Welcome QuantumCowgirl! >:D<

I can relate to the obsession! When I first became interested in the story I did little else but read for a couple weeks.

Now I am not much better!

Hope you enjoy the community . . .

Snow

lev

Originally posted by QuantumCowgirl@Oct 27 2004, 02:39 PM
Darkwolf, when you say JT entered many worldlines like our own, what did you mean? It was my understanding he only stopped in 1975 and 2000... Thanks for all your ideas, guys. I just discovered this Titor story, and I'm sort of obsessed with it right now!? :)

::.. Don't be obsessed with it :: Its meant to be a very entertaining soap :: tis all :: Think 'Blair Witch' and this Cave Story ..::

::.. Also, given the almost impossible chance of the creation of life itself, if there were multiple world lines I wonder what the chances would be of finding one with any form of life in it ..::.. THINK :: Diverge .000001 percent away from the age of Dino's and they could still be here ..::.. So, in my most humble opinion, we are very special given that we may be one of the very few worldlines with human life on it ..::

::.. Keep the posts coming! ..::

Cornelia

Welcome Quantum,
if you're obsessed with JT, well... you're in the right place!
We were all deadly obsessed with the story when we discovered it, but this forum helped us a lot to trasform the obsession... ehm... into a chronical one you can cope with! :lol:

Anyway, if the timelines are only slighly different from one another, this means there's another timeline where JT came here but, let's say, he met different persons. Then another timeline where he "landed" in Europe. Then another timeline where... so on.

But I've found another paradox on JT story: if he told the truth (wars, nukes etc) then it means he will become VERY famous next years. And if he will be so famous, he should have known about himself before leaving 2036. :D'oh:

Thoughts?